Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Boys and girls equally need to be taught morality in their homes. Condoms for 11 yr olds? Really?

How about a swift kick instead?
You think a swift kick will stop pregnancy and disease?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
So does this mean boys don't have "Cooties" any more!!

Why do schools think they need to do the job of a parent. If they would just teach Math, Science and History, our kids will learn about sex soon enough.
What makes you think that parents are doing their job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Yeah seriously. To say that a guy will always say "yes" just paints us men as irresponsible morons. I don't know about you, but I'm above simple impulses (usually).

And yes, while it would be great for all 11 year olds to keep it in their pants, if it's becoming an issue then it requires a two-pronged attack: a change in whatever culture has brought up 11 year olds to think that they should be having sex, and providing the means for them to at least have safe sex.

It's sorta like needle exchange programs. I'm too tired to go pull up data but I'm fairly certain they do not cause drug use to go up. They simply help keep new blood-borne illnesses amongst users down. People are going to shoot up heroin, that's a fact, so we might as well reduce the burden they have on the system by preventing them from getting diseases due to dirty needles.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
The last time I looked 11 and 12 year olds are not teens.
It's comments like this that make me wonder how people managed to go through life.

The age range is 11 to 19. Thus, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 (all ending in -teen).

The average age of sex is 17/16. So the middle 50% is between 15-19. However, 1/4 of people have had sex under 15 years old. Some people are sexually mature (though mentally immature) at 11. Since they may have the physical maturity, but lack the mental maturity, services must be provided as to not ruin the rest of their lives.

Clearly the target is not the younger ages, but the middle ages that are more likely to not have any sexual education and are at the point of exploration.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:22 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,336,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
It's comments like this that make me wonder how people managed to go through life.
You said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Giving condoms to teens is not a bad idea.
And I pointed out that 11 and 12 year olds are not teens, thus they should not be given condoms.

Your brain must work really funny.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:09 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
You said this:

And I pointed out that 11 and 12 year olds are not teens, thus they should not be given condoms.

Your brain must work really funny.
Tony...13-19 ARE teens. You know that right?

Old 04-19-2011, 11:32 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
800 million dollar deficit is not going to be effected much either way by handing out condoms to children 11-19 years old. if the deficit is what troubles the op there are lots of other ways to handle that problem more efficiently.

the op alludes to 11 year old only getting condoms the article says 11 to 19. teenagers have sex, condoms will slow down unwanted pregnancies and STD's we need more education and access to birth control not less. the op suggests mom and dad just tell the kid no, in a lot of households mom and dad do not want to talk about it or are too embarrassed to bring the subject up. some kids wouldn't listen to their parents even if they were given sound advice.

You are correct in what you say, i just have a problem with children and i call them children, some are still so inmature, to be having sex.

But your right, some parents leave the child, to figure out sex on their own. I would also like to see more sex education, but don't most schools already offer this.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
You are correct in what you say, i just have a problem with children and i call them children, some are still so inmature, to be having sex.

But your right, some parents leave the child, to figure out sex on their own. I would also like to see more sex education, but don't most schools already offer this.
i am not comfortable with children 11 and 12 having sex either. I think something else is going on in the lives of children this young who are having sex. my children are well out of school so I can't say for sure if I think the schools teach enough or not in this area. I do know just from reading the threads here that some are worried our schools are trying to turn our children gay. which I find hard to believe and think it is just sex ed in general that they are truly worried about

Old 04-19-2011, 11:37 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
too much mtv and "urban" influence on decent kids.
lol

Old 04-19-2011, 11:44 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I'm fairly certain they do not cause drug use to go up. They simply help keep new blood-borne illnesses amongst users down. People are going to shoot up heroin, that's a fact, so we might as well reduce the burden they have on the system by preventing them from getting diseases due to dirty needles.
You may be tired buy you are absolutely correct.
The data indicate that the presence of a syringe exchange program does not increase the use of
illegal drugs among participants in syringe exchange programs, and in many cases, a decrease in
injection frequency has been observed among those attending these programs
http://home.mchsi.com/~apclc/8fedstudies2.pdf

Old 04-20-2011, 07:42 AM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
To me, giving 11 year olds condoms is like saying, "here, it's okay to go out and have sex, but use a condom."
The whole "Wear a condom, and practice 'safe sex'", is such a bad policy slogan, because wearing a condom does not make having sex "safe".

My sister and her husband are doctors, and they go on these training seminars every year or so. One year they had a presentation on communicable diseases. The speaker started out stating the failure rate of condoms for preventing a pregnancy, then he asked for a show of hands, for those in the audience would have sex with a person who was known to have HIV/AIDS, as long as one of them wore a condom. When no one raised their hand, the speaker asked why then, are we telling the population that wearing a condom is practicing 'safe sex".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I didn't even think about sex when I was 11, neither did any of my friends.
One of my friends kissed a girl on a dare, when I was eleven, but that was the extent of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies