Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,209,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
No, not extreme at all...it was you that said that the family is the basic building block of society...it was you that said because gay couples cannot have children they should not be allowed to get married.

Fair is fair...
And idiotic extremes and idiotic extremes, I say, pointing at your posts.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And I think Church going makes you and yours look bad. You put on ridiculous clothing and go spend hours praying to some pretend sky daddy. You're prude, judgmental, hateful, and unduly self-repressive and restrictive in enjoying life. You waste your time and money by throwing it at religious "authorities" who tell you doing so is the only way to save your eternal soul. You then go out and use what you've "learned" to judge and repress people who don't share your delusional, faith-base nonsense values.

However, as ridiculous as I find you to be, I will defend to my last breath your right to be that way and fight as hard as I possibly can to make sure your civil rights are not taken away from you simply because you are different and live differently from me. Why is it so hard for you to return that courtesy and treat me as a human being worthy of respect instead of some inferior, 2nd-class sub-human who you need to control and suppress?
Nobody is control or suppressing you. Those restrictions apply to everyone, hetro, homo, bi, or beastial.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Your argument was that gay marriage harms society by having married couples who cannot produce children. Your argument is that since marriage is for the purpose of having children, gay marriage should not be recognized. Thus, both gay and straight couples incapable of having children should not have a marriage recognized.

And 45 years ago you could have used this exact same argument to advocate a continued ban on interracial marriage. No difference. Interracial marriages were seen be society as "abnormal behavior" as well, does that mean it anti-miscegenation laws were proper back then?
applies and walnuts.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:40 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I guess since you consider more than two-thirds of the voters in Alaska to be "anti-gay" you had better stay out of Alaska. Because that state constitutional amendment would not have been possible without two-thirds of the popular vote voting in favor of the amendment.

California's Prop. 8 has no effect on Alaska or any other state, just California. Unlike California, when Alaskans pass ballot initiatives our courts do not go out and overrule them.
If you think Prop 8 has no effect in Alaska, you're in for a rude awakening. California's citizens passed essentially an identical change to their state constitution as Alaska did to its constitution banning gay marriage. A federal court in the 9th Circuit stuck down that change to the California Constitution ruling it unlawful and in violation of the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution (in a very similar ruling to Iowa's Supreme court striking down their Constitution change and a federal court in MA striking down DOMA).

That ruling is now being appealed to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (the second highest level of courts in the land before the Supreme Court). It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that they with uphold the lower court decision. Rulings by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals apply to the entire 9th Circuit. That means once they uphold the striking down of Prop 8, gay marriage will be legal in Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California, Arizona, Idaho, and Montana.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
the results are still the results. If they were actually faking the numbers then it would probably be found out eventually, and then they would lose all credibility.
Too late...

CNN has "News You Can Trust" like Fox News is "Fair & Balanced."

Old 04-19-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Nobody is control or suppressing you. Those restrictions apply to everyone, hetro, homo, bi, or beastial.
No. Laws banning homosexuals from accessing the civil rights of civil marriage pretty much only affect homosexuals (well, I'll give you bisexuals to an extent too).

Old 04-19-2011, 04:50 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
If you think Prop 8 has no effect in Alaska, you're in for a rude awakening. California's citizens passed essentially an identical change to their state constitution as Alaska did to its constitution banning gay marriage. A federal court in the 9th Circuit stuck down that change to the California Constitution ruling it unlawful and in violation of the 14th Amendment of the US Constitution (in a very similar ruling to Iowa's Supreme court striking down their Constitution change and a federal court in MA striking down DOMA).
I do not care what the courts did in California, Iowa, or Maryland. Nobody has even challenged Alaska's constitutional amendment that prohibits same-sex marriage.

As far as DOMA is concerned, that is an entirely different issue. It is not a state law or an amendment to a state constitution, it is a federal statute. The federal government has no constitutional authority to be involving themselves in matters of marriage, that is entirely a state issue.

Quote:
That ruling is now being appealed to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals (the second highest level of courts in the land before the Supreme Court). It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that they with uphold the lower court decision. Rulings by the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals apply to the entire 9th Circuit. That means once they uphold the striking down of Prop 8, gay marriage will be legal in Alaska, Hawaii, Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California, Arizona, Idaho, and Montana.
Incorrect. Regardless of what the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals does, the Supreme Court is more than likely to reverse them. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is the most overturned court in the nation. They get just about everything wrong all the time. Even if they did side with the lower-court ruling, it would only apply to California and no other state because no other state is being challenged.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:55 PM

23 posts, read 16,840 times
Quote:
I guess since you consider more than two-thirds of the voters in Alaska to be "anti-gay" you had better stay out of Alaska. Because that state constitutional amendment would not have been possible without two-thirds of the popular vote voting in favor of the amendment.

California's Prop. 8 has no effect on Alaska or any other state, just California. Unlike California, when Alaskans pass ballot initiatives our courts do not go out and overrule them.
Quite true.

But the decision in Perry v. Schwarzenegger which strikes down Proposition 8 as unconstitutional, if upheld by the Ninth Circuit, will affect Alaska because the decision will then become binding throughout the Ninth Circuit, of which Alaska, California and seven other states (and two overseas territories) are a part. Of course, the United States Supreme Court could (and probably would) take the case.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 PM

23 posts, read 16,840 times
Quote:
I do not care what the courts did in California, Iowa, or Maryland. Nobody has even challenged Alaska's constitutional amendment that prohibits same-sex marriage.

As far as DOMA is concerned, that is an entirely different issue. It is not a state law or an amendment to a state constitution, it is a federal statute. The federal government has no constitutional authority to be involving themselves in matters of marriage, that is entirely a state issue.

Incorrect. Regardless of what the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals does, the Supreme Court is more than likely to reverse them. The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is the most overturned court in the nation. They get just about everything wrong all the time. Even if they did side with the lower-court ruling, it would only apply to California and no other state because no other state is being challenged.
I'm wondering which five Justices you think would support overturning Judge Walker's decision...

Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:

The federal government certainly does have constitutional authority over civil marriage laws in the states. The 14th Amendment requires that all citizens have equal access to the laws (even state laws) - this most certainly applies to state civil marriage laws (how else would you explain the Loving v. Virginia case?).

And Alaska's constitutional amendment prohibiting same-sex marriage most certainly is being challenged. An upholding of the striking down Prop 8 will overturn Alaska's Constitutional ban on same-sex marriage.

I do agree with you on one point - the Prop 8 case is headed for the Supreme Court. I imagine the Supreme Court will uphold the lower court decisions in what could very easily be a unanimous decision. And please, do a little research before passing along a totally bunk, misleading, and completely intellectually dishonest talking point. The 9th Circuit has far and away the largest case load of any of the Circuits. In terms of cases overturned as a percentage of caseload, the 9th Circuit is the least reversed circuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies