Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 12:24 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Let me know when you have a coherent argument.
Let ME know when you actually read the court decisions and have some idea of how the equal protection clause works and is interpreted by the courts.

Because you are clearly ignorant of that. I suspect willfully so.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:26 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times
It doesn't matter what the majority approve of in this case: the majority's opinion does not trump equal protection clause: an inalienable right in the constitution.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Default how about -

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Here's a simple one:

Consider a women business owner in New Hampshire who is married to a man who works for her business. One the the civil rights she gets from her marriage is that she doesn't have to pay unemployment insurance tax on her husband's wages.

Now consider a woman business owner in New Hampshire who is married to a woman who works for her business. No go on that tax break. Despite being married, she has to pay unemployment insurance tax on her wife's wages because homosexuals are banned by law from accessing that civil right.

Here's another one:

Consider an Iowan man who marries a woman from France. One of the civil rights he gets with his civil marriage is that his foreign French wife gets to come and live with him in American (and work here if she wants) under a spousal immigration visa.

Now consider an Iowan man who marries a man from France. No go on being able to live together. His spouse is not allowed to get a spousal immigration visa because homosexuals are banned by law from accessing that civil right.

Here's another:

Consider a male military member from Vermont who marries a women. Two of the civil rights he gets with his civil marriage is that he gets paid more in the form of a family housing allowance and his wife gets to shop at the base commissary.

Now consider a male military member from Vermont who marries a man. No go on those either. He does not get an increased family housing allowance and his husband cannot shop at the base commissary because homosexuals are banned by law from accessing those civil rights.

I've given you 3 concrete examples (I could give you 100 more). Will you stop asking the question now?
Male person marries female person.

That "right" isn't denied,no matter who you are.

No matter how many concrete examples you give, the only one that counts is the fact the only thing denied is the marriage of a same sex partner and benefits. Not the marriage of an opposite sex partner, whether you are straight OR gay.

BTW I am for a civil union with all the rights and responsibilities of a married couple.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It doesn't matter what the majority approve of in this case: the majority's opinion does not trump equal protection clause: an inalienable right in the constitution.
A right that some here seem to think does not exist.

But it matters not, because the judges deciding these cases do.

And just look how those cases are going...hmmmmm.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

No matter how many concrete examples you give, the only one that counts is the fact the only thing denied is the marriage of a same sex partner and benefits. Not the marriage of an opposite sex partner, whether you are straight OR gay.

Another one that doesn't understand the 14th amendment.

That's not how it works, people.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:32 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post

BTW I am for a civil union with all the rights and responsibilities of a married couple.
You're conflating religious and civil marriage. They are completely separate and unrelated things.

Newflash - a civil marriage and a civil union are EXACTLY the same thing. I don't care what the hell it's called - civil union, civil marriage, civil cohabitation, civil shacking up civil klakdjfackdnafdiu. I just want access to the same civil rights as heterosexuals. The easiest way to remedy the invidious discrimination would to repeal the recent laws of this nation that ban homosexuals from accessing civil marriage contracts and the civil rights they confer.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:35 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
E
Q
U
A
L

P
R
O
T
E
C
T
I
O
N

Get it?
Actually, what the 14th Amendment says is that the State will not "...deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Under what existing law have you been denied its protection?

There is nothing that says new laws need to be created for your protection, only that your protection under existing law is guaranteed to be equally applied by the state.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:36 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,480,636 times
Ya know,

There a lot of really nice ladies out there.

Why don't you just go out on a few dates? Maybe you'd find out that you like girls. Everybody else does.

I mean there are a lot of really, really fine girls out there.

Start dating one and then get married.

You get all of your rights. Plus the parts match up.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I could beleive the outcome a little easier if a sensable number of people had been polled. That plus there are ways of asking questions to get a desirable answer. There is a strong possibility if you were to dig deeper many of those who voted for same sex marriage actually were thinking equal rights for everyone and same sex unions.
The amount being polled meets Scientific polling standards. The number being polled is also similar to the amount polled in polls a few years ago when it showed the majority of people against gay marriage. To top that off we are now seeing multiple polls showing support for gay marriage.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:38 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, what the 14th Amendment says is that the State will not "...deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." Under what existing law have you been denied its protection?

There is nothing that says new laws need to be created for your protection, only that your protection under existing law is guaranteed to be equally applied by the state.
DOMA, 40 or so state laws that ban homosexuals from accessing the civil rights of a civil marriage contract. Just those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies