Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:02 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times

Advertisements

Balancing Budgets on Drivers' Backs - FoxNews.com

Well, there is an easy way not to have to pay these fines... Don't perform the violations.

Quote:
* Parking in a fire lane in Pensacola, Fla., will cost you $100, up from $10.
* Georgia recently added a $200 surcharge for anyone driving more than 85 miles per hour.
* Colorado increased fines for speeding from $50 to $135.
* Portland, Ore., increased fines for parking in a handicapped spot from $190 to $450.
* Parking fines in Boston doubled to $40.
* Speeding in Florida just 10 miles over the legal limit will cost you $196, up from $154.

But closing a $28 billion dollar deficit isn't easy. Consider these Golden State fines:

* Driving one to 15 miles over speed limit is $215. Compare that to $50 in Idaho and Washington State.
* Run a stop sign: $236
* No seat belt: $148. In Louisiana, the same infraction is $25.
* Broken headlight: $100
* Park in a disabled spot: $1,043. A second offense is $2,000.
* Pass a school bus with flashing red lights in San Francisco: $754
[LEFT]

Let's get real, you shouldn't passing a school bus with the sign out and lights flashing red, and if you haven't figured out what that funny blue sign that says "Handicapped parking" I am sure you will.. If you haven't figured out the first time you got the tkt, you deserve the second one, probably at double the cost. (Yes I am "Mobility impaired" after receiving a permanent disabling injury in the military and I would be GLAD to trade the ability to park in a handicapped spot, if I could get my injuries repaired and my life back)...

A 200$ surcharge for driving more than 85MPH! I am sure some of our speeders who believe the speed limit sign is a suggestion will love that one.

To be honest, if you have legitimately recieved one of the above tkt's, you deserve the fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:11 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Towing fees as well. Some cities levy a $500 fee in addition to towing charges for [/i]infractions such as playing you stereo too loud. In one case they pulled over a driver for illegal left turn, found he had a suspended license and towed it, even though another driver with a valid license was a passenger.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:19 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Towing fees as well. Some cities levy a $500 fee in addition to towing charges for [/i]infractions such as playing you stereo too loud. In one case they pulled over a driver for illegal left turn, found he had a suspended license and towed it, even though another driver with a valid license was a passenger.
Seeing as drivers who can afford gas are obviously rich we should allow cops to mug anyone perceived as having money. //sarcasm off

Seriously, government is the enemy of the people and what we need to do is defund law enforcement agencies by 75% so they have to do real police work instead of trolling for dollars along the interstate.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I am seeing police all over the place with radar guns lately.

Cities and counties are getting desperate for revenue.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:22 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Between the property tax bubble bursting and the decrease in sales tax revenues, the wretched excess of municiplaity spending will have to be supported through other predatory means such as these.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:27 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,054,512 times
If people want to keep the same levels of police protection, yet lower the tax payments that fund them, how the living hell are they supposed to do that?

Will the magic money fairy come down and give them money to pay their salaries?

Some people need to take a course in logical reasoning, this is just getting sad as hell.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
What these developers and crooked politicians have done is make a deal where they profit off sprawl one way or the other. People are forced to drive long distances. Traffic is worse than eveer. GAS PRICES ARE HIGHER then ever.

On top of this, now they want to punish drivers with MORE FINES.

They will make people hate driving even more if they feel like targets.

Many major cities have tolls too? WTF are our taxes paying for?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:34 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
If people want to keep the same levels of police protection, yet lower the tax payments that fund them, how the living hell are they supposed to do that?

Will the magic money fairy come down and give them money to pay their salaries?

Some people need to take a course in logical reasoning, this is just getting sad as hell.
Why would I want to pay the salary/benefits/pension of someone to prey on me?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
So trim the police force...

Get rid of DHS, stop all the Paramilitary training for the neighborhood cop...

It's getting out of control, normal everyday people wont be able to go about their lives without breaking some rediculous law...

Old 04-20-2011, 07:46 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
So trim the police force...

Get rid of DHS, stop all the Paramilitary training for the neighborhood cop...

It's getting out of control, normal everyday people wont be able to go about their lives without breaking some rediculous law...
Couldn't agree with you more.

Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops

Quote:
[Michigan: Police Search Cell Phones During Traffic Stops
ACLU seeks information on Michigan program that allows cops to download information from smart phones belonging to stopped motorists.

The Michigan State Police have a high-tech mobile forensics device that can be used to extract information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations. The American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) of Michigan last Wednesday demanded that state officials stop stonewalling freedom of information requests for information on the program.

ACLU learned that the police had acquired the cell phone scanning devices and in August 2008 filed an official request for records on the program, including logs of how the devices were used. The state police responded by saying they would provide the information only in return for a payment of $544,680. The ACLU found the charge outrageous.
snip
So the broke sate of Michigan spent millions to equip cops with these devices?

Sound to me like a repeal of all Michigan income taxes are in order. Without money they can not attack us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies