Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 07:45 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times

Advertisements

Why green,green,green, to get off our oil dependence?

Natural gas is here. A lot of it.
Why not the push to get more and more natural gas vehicles?
All the diesel and gas vehicles, could be running an engine specifically designed to run off very clean burning natural gas.

Why electric vehicles? that are going to take massive amounts of hydro, coal and nuclear power to propel.

If I were in a high office in DC, I would be pushing for more natural gas transition.
Look at home heating.
My sister lives up north and they use basically diesel oil to heat their home. It cost here $500 for one month of fuel to heat her home. I on the otherhand have natural gas piped in. My highest gas bill ever was $50. and in the summers it is less than $10 a month, for hotwater heater and cooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Why not the push to get more and more natural gas vehicles?
All the diesel and gas engines, could be burning in an engine specifically designed to run off very clean burning natural gas.

Why electric vehicles? that are going to take massive amounts of hydro, coal and nuclear power to propel.

If I were in a high office in DC, I would be pushing for more natural gas transition.
Look at home heating.
My sister lives up north and they use basically diesel oil to heat their home. It cost here $500 for one month of fuel to heat her home. I on the otherhand have natural gas piped in. My highest gas bill ever was $50. and in the summers it is less than $10 a month, for hotwater heater and cooking.
Because many of the "powers that be" have investments in the "green thing".

Old 04-20-2011, 07:51 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
I have "green" heating and cooling.

Geo.....it work great and by the mouth is truly a savings......

If I live to be about 200 years old it could be cheaper.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:52 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
It should be a mix of both. Lets admit we are wasteful, we build and develop land terribly, we love gas guzzlers, etc etc. We need to develop land better, we need to change our way of thinking.

The days of cheap energy are gone. The market is realizing people will pay $4 a gallon for gas. Do you think they want to go down?

Its like the 1970s, when Nixon's policies ruined us forever. OPEC saw a barrel of oil jump from $2 to $16 and people still bought oil and could not live without it.

The other issue too is we cannot control demand b/c other markets will simply buy the oil.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
It should be a mix of both. Lets admit we are wasteful, we build and develop land terribly, we love gas guzzlers, etc etc. We need to develop land better, we need to change our way of thinking.

The days of cheap energy are gone. The market is realizing people will pay $4 a gallon for gas. Do you think they want to go down?

Its like the 1970s, when Nixon's policies ruined us forever. OPEC saw a barrel of oil jump from $2 to $16 and people still bought oil and could not live without it.

The other issue too is we cannot control demand b/c other markets will simply buy the oil.

I'm not talking about oil. I'm talking about natural gas.

Totally different.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Natural gas is fairly green by itself, actually. I considered getting Honda Civic GX complete with “Phill” for more reasons than one but the model was sold out before it gets to the market (appears to be a fleet favorite by airports and such). However, the means to get to it may not be. In fact, my property happens to be sitting right on top of the Barnett Shale and it sucks. And while people from my town of Flower Mound are generally wary of the drilling going on EVERYWHERE, opposing it (who would want it in your backyard?), and the residents of Southlake, not too far to the south-west have sought ban on drilling (again, they don’t want it done in their backyard), things aren’t quite as simple as many make it all out to be.

Why electric vehicles? Electric motors are more efficient, and electricity can be generated in a variety of ways, including onboard. In fact, most diesel locomotives rely on electric motors to deliver power to the wheels. It is also why most progressive nations have pushed for an electric railroad infrastructure over last 3-4 decades.

I feel it is ridiculous to assume that there should be a push for only ONE future energy source. It would be prudent to look in more than one direction, and go for what makes the most sense. Germany, for example, has been big on green energy and especially solar, and while Norway has immense oil reserves, it has pushed for hydro electric power as well instead of burning what they drill, perhaps good business tactic. And now the two are collaborating on expanding the hydro power by combining Germany’s solar and wind infrastructure with Norway’s hydro infrastructure. Germany will send off-peak “extra energy” to Norway to be used to pump water back up the dams (technically using the water for energy storage, as batteries). Smart move.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:20 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
And environmentalism is nothing but a fraud, the same liberals that pretend to be green want to dramatically keep increasing the population of the USA by inviting in the foreign groups with the sky high reproductive rates. They want no limits -- forget the wilderness areas, the forests.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Just a couple of days ago there was a report saying that natural gas is not as green as it seems, actually at least as little green as coal. Maybe I'll find something on the web...

Found something, http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/...ngDirtier.html

Old 04-20-2011, 08:22 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,533,746 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about oil. I'm talking about natural gas.

Totally different.
Sorry, you are right. Natural gas is good and cleaner and I've noticed more vehicles run on it driven around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And environmentalism is nothing but a fraud, the same liberals that pretend to be green want to dramatically keep increasing the population of the USA by inviting in the foreign groups with the sky high reproductive rates. They want no limits -- forget the wilderness areas, the forests.
Can we have an intelligent discussion without 4 year olds throwing feces around? This has nothing to do with libs/republicans. Just stop.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:

Why do you assume that natural gas is thought of as "not green" ?

My understanding is that it is a local environmental issue for some areas, with fracking, and it's extraction. But outside of that it seems generally accepted to be more "Green" than coal or oil products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies