Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 PM

589 posts, read 756,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

I'm so glad some churches are working to give Christianity a better name.

Im not particularly Religious but no religion should go out of its way to please people. When Religions do serve "people" and change their ways to accomodate foreign elements [in this case - gays] it no longer is the same religion.

Might as well call what this Church preaches "Gayianity". Since this Church is breaking from virtually all denominations on what is not allowed in Christianity. And that is being gay. Like it or not ? Who cares. Its the way it is.

Islam, Judaism and a mass of other Religions are the same way. Islam in particular is barbaric towards gay people. If any religion should try and get a better name...Its Islam. Yet despite the bad name Islam has, and the rampant stoning / beheading of infidels, gays, Jews, Christians, and murdering of anything else that walks on earth that is non-Islamic...It is the fastest growing religion in the world. So much for a "good name" being a benefit huh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 09:36 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
There are a certain core set of beliefs that must be adhered to for whatever religion you want to claim. Heck, for that matter, could I call myself a member of PETA if I ate steak every night? Honestly...why claim to belong to a group if you disagree with its teachings?

In this particular instance, if the pastor and the church fail to recognize the Bible's authority on the subject of homosexuality, I'd question if they are a Christian church. I don't know...maybe they are sincerely wrong and need to be corrected on it.

Actually, it only comments on "men lying with men." It says nothing about lesbians. So, I guess whoever wrote the Bible is just like those horny straight dudes who want to see a little girl on girl action.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,155 times
I like how people claim that this church doesn't follow the Bible correctly when the bible can be interpreted in many different ways.

I say good for the church.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:52 AM

4,009 posts, read 5,731,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Highlands church changes policy on marriages until state changes its stand | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

Should this be considered political activity, and should this church lose it's tax exempt status?
Is this a real Christian church?
Can one be Christian and supportive of homosexuality?
Can one be gay and Christian?

I'm not Christian but I believe this is a step in the right direction for Louisville, Kentucky, and Christianity.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:12 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Highlands church changes policy on marriages until state changes its stand | The Courier-Journal | courier-journal.com

Should this be considered political activity, and should this church lose it's tax exempt status?
Is this a real Christian church?
Can one be Christian and supportive of homosexuality?
Can one be gay and Christian?
Then I'd just join another church that follows the Bible.

I'd just find a church whose Pastor sticks to what is right.

The irony is that homosexuals would not exist if not for fact that a MAN an a WOMAN got together and produced them! (shakes head)

And somehow we are suppose to accept that lifestyle as normal.

Old 04-29-2011, 02:36 AM

446 posts, read 649,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
What does the Bible say? That's a good place to start.
One of those people who takes the Bible literally, I see. I really, really hope you have never worn polyester or eaten a cheeseburger, or else you are being hypocritical and in major violation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
I like how people claim that this church doesn't follow the Bible correctly when the bible can be interpreted in many different ways.
Ding Ding Ding!

Old 04-29-2011, 03:18 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
Then I'd just join another church that follows the Bible.

I'd just find a church whose Pastor sticks to what is right.

The irony is that homosexuals would not exist if not for fact that a MAN an a WOMAN got together and produced them! (shakes head)

And somehow we are suppose to accept that lifestyle as normal.
WOW.......so you just figured out that most gays are the product of straight parents??????? Thanx for the NEWSFLASH!!!!! (shakes and smacks head!)

I'm afraid gay sexual orientation is indeed normal for 5% to 20% of the population.......you'll just have to suck it up I guess!

Gay Is Okay With APA (American Psychiatric Association) (http://www.soulforce.org/article/642 - broken link)

Official Statement Concerning Homosexuality from the American Psychological Association | CLGS

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality(from the American Psychological Association)

Old 04-29-2011, 03:24 AM

315 posts, read 366,620 times
As they say...don't blame gay people, blame the straight people that keep making them. :-P

Old 04-29-2011, 08:34 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,458,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Im not particularly Religious but no religion should go out of its way to please people. When Religions do serve "people" and change their ways to accomodate foreign elements [in this case - gays] it no longer is the same religion.

Might as well call what this Church preaches "Gayianity". Since this Church is breaking from virtually all denominations on what is not allowed in Christianity. And that is being gay. Like it or not ? Who cares. Its the way it is.

Islam, Judaism and a mass of other Religions are the same way. Islam in particular is barbaric towards gay people. If any religion should try and get a better name...Its Islam. Yet despite the bad name Islam has, and the rampant stoning / beheading of infidels, gays, Jews, Christians, and murdering of anything else that walks on earth that is non-Islamic...It is the fastest growing religion in the world. So much for a "good name" being a benefit huh.
The idea of discriminating from gays is unChristian to begin with. First of all the meaning of the word that is often translated as "homosexuality" is a matter of debate. Many Biblical scholars believe it meant something more like "prostitution". Second of all, even if we do agree that the original Greek does refer to homosexuality, the verses that supposedly condemn homosexuality are among verses that also condemn things like blindness and other physical disabilities. (Even my Braille bible contains the verse about blind people not entering the Kingdom of Heaven--ironic much?) So it's pretty obvious that in one way or another, Christians who are anti-gay are already cherry-picking, so why don't they just decide not to pick the "anti-gay" cherry? After all, I've never met a Christian who has decided to pick the "anti-blind" or "anti-disabled" cherry, so why the "anti-gay" one? Christianity was changed to become anti-gay. Being accepting of homosexuals would be restoring it closer to Jesus' teaching of loving kindness and the original intention of Christianity.

BTW I totally agree that Islam has a lot of work to do to get itself a better name. There are way too many crazies that give it a bad name. If only peaceful Muslims were as vocal as the violent ones, then maybe things could be balanced out a bit.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 04-29-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old 04-29-2011, 08:40 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,770,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Actually, it only comments on "men lying with men." It says nothing about lesbians. So, I guess whoever wrote the Bible is just like those horny straight dudes who want to see a little girl on girl action.
Actually, it only comments on men forcing other men to have sex in a woman's bed during pagan ritual practices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies