Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 04:36 PM

32 posts, read 19,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I'm gay myself.......you misunderstand my intent. I mean people using Levictus against gays DON'T get to pick and choose which passages to obey.....and preach on and on about.

It clearly says eating ANY shellfish is an abomination.......wearing clothes that are not natural is an abomination.....just about everything is some crazy abomination.

If your gonna thump me on the head with it.......then you need to follow all the other crap to the letter......it's clear on those other passages.

On being Gay.....I disagree......it's totally ambigious.....like many of your posts. I'm not the only poster here CONFUSED by your posts and what you are truly trying to say.

Levictus says not to lay with man as woman.....to me that means "penetrative sex"....GUESS WHAT.....about 40% of gay guys don't practice that type of relations. I've been with my partner over 28 years and neither of us does that and/or enjoys that type of activity.

And I'm no expert(on the Bible/Levictus) but other posters throughout these forums(Religion etc.....) point out Levictus meant pagan type.......raping sex........forced sex.......

Not loving and consensual relationships between adults.

So TRY AGAIN!!!!!
i dont know how can you be confused about what im trying to say, im saying you cant pick and choose certain parts of the bible to follow and others to not, and you cant distort certain parts to fit your view and that goes for anti gay and pro gay people. thats what im saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 04:44 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,504,794 times
Tax the churches.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:47 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deste View Post
i dont know how can you be confused about what im trying to say, im saying you cant pick and choose certain parts of the bible to follow and others to not, and you cant distort certain parts to fit your view and that goes for anti gay and pro gay people. thats what im saying.
Do you follow EVERY single passage in Levictus????? On clothes....food....etcetera......that's my point!!!!

Old 04-30-2011, 04:50 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Tax the churches.
I agree.......Many churches lost their special tax exempt status when they donated money to political causes that push their agenda and interfere in politics and social equality issues........many are now simply nothing more than special interest lobbying groups!

Old 05-01-2011, 09:14 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
A church or religious organization can lose its tax exempt status if a substantial part of its activity is engaged in political activity or the religious organization endorses a political candidate. As long as the organizations stay within the guide lines they are free to influence legislation.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1828.pdf

Churches and religious organizations, like many other
charitable organizations, qualify for exemption from
federal income tax under IRC section 501(c)(3) and
are generally eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions.

To qualify for tax-exempt status, such an
organization must meet the following requirements
(covered in greater detail throughout this publication):
■ the organization must be organized and operated
exclusively for religious, educational, scientific, or other
charitable purposes,
■ net earnings may not inure to the benefit of any
private individual or shareholder,
no substantial part of its activity may be attempting
to influence legislation,

the organization may not intervene in political
campaigns
, and
■ the organization’s purposes and activities may not
be illegal or violate fundamental public policy.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,844,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deste View Post
Following the laws of Levictus is not what makes someone a Christian; it is faith in Christ that makes someone a Christian.

Galatians 5 [NKJV]

1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit eagerly wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision avails anything, but faith working through love.
13 For you, brethren, have been called to liberty; only do not use liberty as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. 14 For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.†15 But if you bite and devour one another, beware lest you be consumed by one another!

Old 05-01-2011, 02:18 PM

1,114 posts, read 1,224,127 times
Where does the bible prohibit gays from marrying? As far as the sex lives of gays, they will have sex regardless of whether or not they get married (just like heteros), so what is the purpose of preventing them from marrying? At least if they could marry, there would technically be one less sin, by avoiding sex outside of marriage....

Old 05-01-2011, 02:40 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,772,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mythunderstood View Post
Where does the bible prohibit gays from marrying? As far as the sex lives of gays, they will have sex regardless of whether or not they get married (just like heteros), so what is the purpose of preventing them from marrying? At least if they could marry, there would technically be one less sin, by avoiding sex outside of marriage....
The Bible doesn't say anything about gays or gay marriage. However, it mentions that the most common arrangement is a man cleaving to his wife, so they consider that an automatic ban on gays. But that verse is not proscriptive. It merely mentions that most common type back then (since once again, homosexuality was unknown until 1900 A.D.). Had Jesus wanted to ban gay marriage, he would have said - a man may only cleave to his wife. If a man cleaves to another man, he has committed a sin.

Jesus never says or hints to anything like that. That doesn't stop conservatives from putting words in his mouth.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:23 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,616,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The Bible doesn't say anything about gays or gay marriage. However, it mentions that the most common arrangement is a man cleaving to his wife, so they consider that an automatic ban on gays. But that verse is not proscriptive. It merely mentions that most common type back then (since once again, homosexuality was unknown until 1900 A.D.). Had Jesus wanted to ban gay marriage, he would have said - a man may only cleave to his wife. If a man cleaves to another man, he has committed a sin.

Jesus never says or hints to anything like that. That doesn't stop conservatives from putting words in his mouth.
Not to dredge up old threads, but I just got a rep point on this thread and checked it out to see where it went. I couldn't resist correcting the nonsense of the last post here.

God created them male and female. He instituted marriage for that which he created. It's not just the "most common"...it's the ONLY form of marriage that God ordained.

As for Jesus...well, He is God. He affirmed the OT teachings on marriage. So when you guys come along and pretend that Adam and Eve getting married by God was somehow not a model of what marriage is, and that it's really just anything goes it's kind of silly. God made marriage. It's symbolic of the love that Christ has for his church--which is called his "Bride".

Old 08-10-2011, 09:25 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckerooBill View Post
Sigh- Why are people not opening their eyes to Satans work? Someone has to fight it!
Thankfully this Church is. More Churches need to stand against the hatred and evil espoused by many so-called Christians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies