Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 02:52 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,433,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Those machines can be programmed anyway the programmer wants them programmed., There is no oversight. No possibility of a recount.

It would be like giving one guy all the ballots and he takes them and counts them and then tells you the results after he burns all the ballots and that number he gave you is what you have to accept

Actually, several years ago I saw a newspaper legal notice announcing a testing date for the vote-counting software.

The testing was open to the public and anyone could go and watch it.

So I assume that any one could go (or send a techie) and see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 02:54 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,427,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So now it's so hard all of a sudden to prove you are a citizen of the US ?
Is is that much trouble to show proof of your birth here ?
Why is it so difficult to provide each voter with a paper, telling how they voted, that they can then put into a ballot box for possible recount later? We have made amazing strides in the science of printing in case you haven't noticed

Actually no, change that. That paper shouldn't go into the box for "possible recount" it should go in there for primary counting

Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
It isn't very difficult to get a voter registration card from your town clerk or municpal office. All you need is a SS card that is legally issued, because it will be checked, and a picture id. You will then register and receive a voter ID in the mail. It isn't that difficult, but if you have a phony SS card, then you better not try to register cause you may be asked to leave the country. This will separate the proverbial wheat from the chaff.

It is too bad it has come down to this, but since voter fraud is rampant in the US, it is time to get voting under control.
Voter fraud isn't rampant. Voter intimidation is however

Old 04-21-2011, 03:00 PM

Emotions are running high this election, ripe ground for more baseless charges of voter fraud.
The tea party have decided to go overt with their covert campaign against minorities. Backed largely by wealthy Republican operatives, several tea parties in contentious political battles today have sent out “guards” to patrol polling places to prevent voter fraud. Former House majority leader Dick Armey, who now heads the tea party funder Freedom Works, said falsely on Fox News that Democratic voting was up during early voting — because that’s when it’s easier to commit voter fraud. However, law enforcement statistics, reports from election officials and all the available research indicate that voter fraud is practically nonexistent.

Where are these “poll watchers” being deployed? Minority communities.
Who are the deploying? Tea party folks, largely white men.
Who are they singling out? People, who they believe, don’t look like citizens.

It’s already been reported in Houston that these “poll watchers” have reportedly been interfering with voters, following them as they vote and confronting them. If this happened, it is in direct violation of state law. But where is the outcry? Back during the presidential election one group, not affiliated with any recognized political party of movement, the New Black Panther party allegedly did the same. That one case has worked its way to the highest parts of federal government for a massive inquiry. But now, with the perpetrators white and the victims white? Not so much.

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2010/11/01/tea-party-vigilantes-are-intimidating-black-voters/ (broken link)

Old 04-21-2011, 03:03 PM

Every election you'll hear about these robocalls being made to minority neighborhoods, telling them things like the election has been postponed until Wednesday, or that they'll need proof of home ownership to vote. The whole idea being to keep them away from the polls

Old 04-21-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Actually, several years ago I saw a newspaper legal notice announcing a testing date for the vote-counting software.

The testing was open to the public and anyone could go and watch it.

So I assume that any one could go (or send a techie) and see it.

They let people watch the testing and you think that makes it safe???????>?
Ever hear of reprogramming the machine after the demo?

Old 04-21-2011, 03:12 PM

I remember when I used to work at the polls we counted in groups of two. Two people on opposite sides of the table. one would take a ballot and lay it face up on the table in plain view to anybody watching and read off the candidates names while the other person would write down the results on a piece of paper that was also laid flat on the table and in full view of any witneseses

Old 04-21-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How is it intimidating to provide a copy of one's birth certificate while registering to vote?

I've not been intimidated by it to renew my vehicle tags or driver's license.

Does it intimidate you to go to government buildings and register to vote, renew vehicle tags, or a driver's license? Are you intimidated by having to provide a birth certificate to get a US passport? Are you intimidated by having to show ID and fill out a NICS check to practice your 2nd Amendment rights or provide a birth certificate and fingerprints for a background check for CCW?

Do you support voter registration or voter fraud? Do you think fraud should be encouraged or do you think the vote is important enough to make certain that only those legally eligible are voting?

Were you concerned about voter inimidation in Phillidelphia in regard to New Black Panther Party members holding weapons in front of the polling place doors (highly illegal) and verbally intimidating certain voters?
No I wasn't because that never happened. There was no there there.

I never sais it was intimidating to have to show an ID

Old 04-21-2011, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How is it intimidating to provide a copy of one's birth certificate while registering to vote?

I never said it was

I've not been intimidated by it to renew my vehicle tags or driver's license.

Does it intimidate you to go to government buildings and register to vote, renew vehicle tags, or a driver's license? Are you intimidated by having to provide a birth certificate to get a US passport? Are you intimidated by having to show ID and fill out a NICS check to practice your 2nd Amendment rights or provide a birth certificate and fingerprints for a background check for CCW?

The questions make no sense, I never said any of that was intimidating

Do you support voter registration or voter fraud?

I support a paper trail to protect the counting. I also support doing something about voter intimidation

Do you think fraud should be encouraged or do you think the vote is important enough to make certain that only those legally eligible are voting?

Get off the "either you support this or you support voter fraud" kick. that is bull. Get back to me when we, everybody, has a paper trail

Were you concerned about voter inimidation in Phillidelphia in regard to New Black Panther Party members holding weapons in front of the polling place doors (highly illegal) and verbally intimidating certain voters?
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 1 characters???????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????

Old 04-21-2011, 03:26 PM

Try asking me if I'd be intimidated if I was an uneducated low income voter and I got a "friendly phonecall" the night before the election informing me that you can be arrested at the polls if you had any outstanding parking tickets? the answer would be probably yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies