Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Obama doing everything he can to keep the cost of oil/gas down
yes 10 9.71%
no 83 80.58%
other 6 5.83%
not sure 4 3.88%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,785,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
Start another war? Destabilize?
There is no war on this planet that President Obama has started. There is nothing that he has destabilized that wasn't already [MOD CUT] in the first place.

He can finish some entanglements, but that won't bring down prices anytime soon. He can disengage from some business that isn't ours, but that won't bring down prices tomorrow. He can develop a coherent energy policy, but that won't affect oil prices in the near future.

There's nothing anybody can do. Leave it to the market. The speculators in oil futures will eventually take a bursted bubble bath.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-22-2011 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: bypassing the filter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM

561 posts, read 505,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
What can he do? Seriously, what can he do to bring gas prices down tomorrow? Next week? Next month?
He could stop the printing press that is cranking out billions of excess dollars. He and his Treasury secretary and devaluing the dollar to the point where it is nearly worthless.

The price of a barrel of oil relative to an once of gold is essentially unchanged since the early 80's. In other words, the price of oil has NOT increased. The value of the US dollar has decreased.

It is within Obama's power to stop the printing press tonight if he wanted to do so.

Last edited by Recovering Democrat; 04-21-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Are individuals doing everything they can to mitigate their exposure to risks associated with rising oil and gas? I mean, maybe obama isn't doing all he can, I dunno. But if you aren't doing all you can, and then complaining about it, then you have no right to call out obama.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:37 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,785,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
He could stop the printing press that is cranking out billions of excess dollars. He and his Treasury secretary and devaluing the dollar to the point where it is nearly worthless.

The price of a barrel of oil relative to an once of gold is essentially unchanged since the early 80's. In other words, the price of oil has NOT increased. The value of the US dollar has decreased.

It is within Obama's power to stop the printing press tonight if he wanted to do so.
In my opinion, it is likely a supply-demand issue instead of a dollar issue.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,069,407 times
Only a few years ago, when gas was at $4.00 a gallon we saw nothing but whinning and complaining that it was Bush's fault, he's in the pocket of big oil. His oil buddies are making millions. The sob stories were never ending on NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC.
'Widow with 4 kids has to sell wedding ring to pay for gas'.
I haven't seen any negative 'Obama' stories or hardship stories on the news even though gas is $4.00 today.
Price of oil on Jan. 2009 $38.00
Price of oil today $112.00 194% increase in 2.5 years.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
And loving it!

Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 PM

401 posts, read 473,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post

Exactly.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:19 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Only a few years ago, when gas was at $4.00 a gallon we saw nothing but whinning and complaining that it was Bush's fault, he's in the pocket of big oil. His oil buddies are making millions. The sob stories were never ending on NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC.
'Widow with 4 kids has to sell wedding ring to pay for gas'.
I haven't seen any negative 'Obama' stories or hardship stories on the news even though gas is $4.00 today.

Well under this administration, because of higher gas prices, lost of wages, unemployment, housing crisis, businesses closing doors after years and years. And middle aged men i know who have been fired from their jobs.

In fact talk to the 13 people under this administration that i know of thruout the different States, who have lost jobs, and a home or both. Two as recent as last month and a bus driver for over 25 years!

Now so depressed. This administration paints a different picture then what is actually going on in reality land, lose that job after 25 years, with the salary you made, the health benefits you had and your now at a lost for words. Not easy finding a job, i know because of what has been told to me, not under BUSH, OBAMA! Yeah Obama is such a saint isn't he.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Well under this administration, because of higher gas prices, lost of wages, unemployment, housing crisis, businesses closing doors after years and years. And middle aged men i know who have been fired from their jobs.

In fact talk to the 13 people under this administration that i know of thruout the different States, who have lost jobs, and a home or both. Two as recent as last month and a bus driver for over 25 years!

Now so depressed. This administration paints a different picture then what is actually going on in reality land, lose that job after 25 years, with the salary you made, the health benefits you had and your now at a lost for words. Not easy finding a job, i know because of what has been told to me, not under BUSH, OBAMA! Yeah Obama is such a saint isn't he.
You do realize that the momentum started way before Obama took office, right? It's a premature to judge Bush or Obama in regards to the current state of the economy.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:40 PM

27,118 posts, read 15,295,953 times
Libya sure was a big help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies