Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does Obama exhibit sociopathic traits?
Yes 43 31.62%
No 79 58.09%
Uncertain 7 5.15%
Don't know/don't care 6 4.41%
I don't read links 1 0.74%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 09:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 09:18 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,959,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Do you think Obama displays the traits of a sociopath as defined in the link below?

The Sociopathic Style: Classic Sociopathic Traits

edited to replace link
I voted yes, but it is nothing new. Bsuh was a sociopath as well, in fact, many were before him as well. The difference is how many are paying attention to the so called leaders in the past when times were good, versus when times are bad as is the case today.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I voted yes, but it is nothing new. Bsuh was a sociopath as well, in fact, many were before him as well. The difference is how many are paying attention to the so called leaders in the past when times were good, versus when times are bad as is the case today.
I think technology allows us to follow their actions closer now than ever before.

For instance, I can follow Congress critters tweets, see the links of their legislation, or listen to them be interviewed in real time, all from my phone. Anymore, bloggers are pulling and distributing the news from the AP and getting it online before the MSM even knows about it.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:25 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,515 times
Is this a poll about his true persona or his political persona?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,069 times
Quote:
Absolutely not, this is a serious and earnest poll. It has been discussed that Obama and other politicians display traits of narcissism. Frankly, I was doing some research into some of the teen violence, reading the traits of sociopaths, and wondered if others might think Obama displays traits of same.
I don't see Obama as anywhere near a sociopath. I do see the connection between narcissism and politicians (generally speaking). I think politicians love being in front of a crowd and many probably tend to have an over exaggerated sense of self.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:36 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Do you think Obama displays the traits of a sociopath as defined in the link below?

The Sociopathic Style: Classic Sociopathic Traits

edited to replace link
My training in psychology leads me to believe that he does not display the traits of a sociopath. It's hard to diagnose something like that without truly knowing a person, or at least knowing more about a person than their politics. I think Obama is more of a puppet than anything.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I can see why many would think he is a sociopath, because his actual disorder is closely related. He's a pathological narcissist.

Students of psychology may remember in 2010 that narcissism was removed from the DSM (the "bible" of psychological disorders). Many thought this was because Obama was so clearly a narcissist, and the industry was trading this "downgrading" of the disorder for the full coverage of all mental health treatment under Obamacare (a huge financial windfall for mental health professionals). While I wouldn't doubt the power-brokers who control the DSM would love to help Obama and his liberal causes, the defect wasn't totally dismissed as a psychological disorder: "it would be replaced by something else, a more wordy, symptom cluster description of a personality disorder." The Last Psychiatrist: Narcissism Out Of The DSM-- And Into The Open
Which is probably a good idea, since the lay public (and even many in the mental health field that don't focus on it) think narcissism is just an overblown sense of self-importance. It is far more dangerous and deviant than that.

But by being a narcissist, Obama has the same critical lack of the essential human emotion that characterizes a sociopath: total lack of empathy for others. They hurt others and gloat over their power while pretending to offer sympathy ("I see you're upset. Let's take a walk and talk it over."). There are many other traits associated with narcissists, such as the unwavering belief that they are destined for greatness (but they will not work hard or "pay their dues;" the world owes them riches and celebrity); a "charisma" that is considered world-class by those who fall under the spell, while others cannot see anything exceptional about the narcissist at all; incredible ability to manipulate others that is often mischaracterized as exceptional intelligence; inability to see when they are wrong (the N cannot BE wrong), refusal to take advice or accept information from others who are experts in their fields (the N knows everything already); lack of intellectual curiousity (they are not well-read or able to discuss a variety of topics); lack of sense of humor; and total inability to feel sorry for the harm/pain they cause, or to accept guilt or say "I'm sorry."

Although I recognized Obama's narcissism long ago, many experts in psychology who study narcissism have since come out and stated in no uncertain terms that Obama is a pathological narcissist--including Dr. Sam Vaknin, author of "Malignant Self-Love: Narcissism revisited," which is the most well-researched and well-analyzed academic book on narcissism to date. If you've known a narcissist in your life and identified/researched the psychological pathology, you'd recognize Obama's strange behavior and reactions immediately.

You would have found the narcissist in your life to be the most unpredictable, bizarre person in the world--until you realize he/she is a narcissist. Then you would have begun the research: on the internet, hundreds of other people will describe exactly the bizarre behavior that you thought made no sense whatsoever. You will in all likelihood find every single strange reaction, behavior and manipulative ploy that the narcissist in your life displayed to you. Once you understand what a narcissist is/does, and have identified this as the psychological disorder of this incredibly strange person, they suddenly become 100% understandable and predictable.

BTW, those who had close relationships with narcissists will universally state that the person had a "supernatural" or "magic" ability to captivate those who they target. Anyone who sees through "the spell" will ask themselves, Why are people so impressed with this person? Recognize Obama yet? Another characteristic the narcissist has is to convince the "victim" (the liberal public, in Obama's case) that the N is madly in love with the victim. The N will never disagree with the victim, or say anything to break the spell of pure acceptance, adoration, and love. The N will appear to be the victim's perfect "soul mate" and will seem to be the perfect idealization of the opposite sex (generally narcissists will target the opposite sex, because they are using the power of brain endorphins resulting from seeing the object of your "crush" or infatuation). The problem is that the narcissist feels nothing, and only acts this way because he/she desperately needs the returned adoration of the victim. They will treat the victim in bizarrely cruel ways (because the N must always be in total control, and not be inconvenienced one iota), while still maintaining the illusion of being madly in love--and the victim will be so confused and manipulated that the narcissist will always be considered blameless, while the victim assumes he must have "misunderstood" or remembered the even wrong.

Sorry for so much on psychology, but if you don't understand this pathology, you WILL be a victim (although I've seen a lifelong fantasy obsession disappear after understanding that the Narcissist WAS the problem). Those with this disorder are NOT normal people and cannot be understood (or predicted) without understanding this bizarre disorder. Be on guard for politicians who are narcissists. Even more so, be on guard in your personal life. Once ensnared, you will be tortured mercilessly but manipulated so that you think the problems are all in your head.

And when a Narcissist is elected to the Presidency, make no mistake that every thing he does will be for his own personal gain, the cost to the nation could not matter less, and those who worship him will end up even more destroyed than those who opposed him.
I would agree that he is narcissistic, but a sociopath...not so much.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Yes, I did notice that many of the traits of a pathological narcissist are shared by sociopaths, thus my reason for the poll and thread.

Please elaborate. How has Obama shown empathy? Can you show in his personal life, rather than political speeches, where actual empathy has been exhibited through actions?

One can be a great speaker without actually being empathetic in practice can he not? (taken from the link in the OP) Are there examples that prove the empathy you indicate through Obama's speeches are anything other than political fluff to attract a loyal base and support his ideology?
I do not think Obama's supposed empathy is sincere in his speeches. I think he is a puppet and he says what his speechwriters tell him to say. He has not done anything empathetic that I know of (I could be wrong, though). But I think he does have a conscience. I can't put my finger on why I think that, but I just feel like he does have some sort of soft side to him (as opposed to his robot side that just does what it's told to do).

Old 04-22-2011, 06:09 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
lifelongMOgal...really?

Obama is not a sociopath, first off, if he were he would be more narcissistic in his interpersonal relations. He clearly isn't.

Well at least I now know that 25 people do not have the slightest clue about psychology.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:08 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
I think technology allows us to follow their actions closer now than ever before.
Technology has allowed psychopaths to change their game plan and execution for sure. So yes I would have to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies