Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 07:32 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,100,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
Yeah, I would like the owners of the restaurants to be able to decide to allow smoking or not.

As for me though, its not like this would affect me personally. I don't smoke but everyone in my house smokes like 2 packs a day. I haven't been bothered by it in years...
If you've been breathing all their secondhand smoke, you'll probably be bothered by it soon enough......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 08:33 AM

323 posts, read 529,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
S

But you do raise several points that are indeed valid. Such as the rise in asthma despite smoking bans, the attempts to ban electronic cigarettes, and opposition to alternatives to smoking such as snus and chewing tobacco.

So true....

First, don't say "non-smokers". Most non-smokers I know either don't really care or find it mildly annoying. In other words, they might like smoking bans and agree with them, but most of them wouldn't actually put up much of an effort to enact them or feel strongly enough to vote against a politician who repeals them. After all, how many politicians have had support or opposition to a smoking ban be a deciding issue regarding whether or not they get elected? Look at the percentage of those eligible to vote that actual votes in referendums on smoking bans; it's usually in the 20-35% range.

What there is however is a borderline militant core of anti-smokers among non-smokers. If you take a look at this thread thread, you'll see the majority of non-smoking regular posters are nowhere to be found, but you'll find the same couple anti-smoking posters who keep on repeating the exact same thing (more or less). "Smoking is stupid. Smokers are stupid. If you disagree; you're stupid. I hate smoking. I hate smokers. Smoke smells. Die of lung cancer already. I hope your kid gets lung cancer and you commit suicide from guilt, although you are already committing slow suicide. Did I forget to mention that I hate both smoking and smokers?"

Good point!

If you look at the venom from the majority of these people, you see that it resembles racism or any other form of virulent hatred. I've read a lot of these threads and I see a lot of these people wishing death and misery on people just because they smoke. Look at the comments section of any newspaper reporting a smoking ban or any other measure of tobacco control. You will see some lukewarm support from a bunch of non-smokers, a decent amount of smokers complaining, a few libertarian non-smokers talking about property rights, and the same couple of internet tough-guy anti-smokers talking about smokers with as much vitriol as a skinhead talking about Jews.
Yes, it's kinda scary - when I first started reading this post, I had to recheck to see what the OP was - I could feel the steam coming off the computer screen as I read the angry posts

Old 04-23-2011, 10:46 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
I can see that the CDC's little gambit worked. The criminals behind Big Tobacco knew that such an announcement would produce precisely the "freedom-loving" reaction it has with most of the posters here. So easy to manipulate the public....

Old 04-23-2011, 11:40 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
You don't get it do you. The proprietor has an obligation to protect all patrons. Allowing skanks to smoke, in effect, sanctions the skanks assaulting me with their effluent. So, in effect, a Smoking Allowed sign is an attempt by a property own to allow one group (skanks) to violate the rights of others (non-skanks).

It is really simple. Remember the old saying about your right to swing your fist ends at the other fellow's nose?.

Well a skanks right to spew effluent ends at other people's noses.

Or, more directly, keep you filthy stench to your filthy skinking selves.

Read this several times so you are sure to comprehend and retain at least the fundamentals.
Were is there a law that says I have to serve a ******** like you???

Old 04-23-2011, 11:42 AM

New sign; SMOKING ALLOWED and we reserve the right to refuse service to anybody for any reason we freaking want because we own the property...

Old 04-23-2011, 11:48 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Well, AZ just put a ban on fat people in regards to medicaid so here we go, you won't be happy when your chips and beer are banned. Lucky I don't eat chips. ha ha
Everyone raise your carrot sticks to good health, right?

Did you know, when you die from anything except a car accident or such, if you were a smoker, ever, or lived with one your death will be noted as a "smoking related" death? Just a little heads up on how they can control the masses and do away with what ever they want to. Next it seems to be food. Pretty soon you will have died from eating fat if you ever had a french fry or candy bar. lol

Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 PM

So, you can send you kid over to another country to fight a war that isn't our business but you shant let the lad have a smoke? Ok????
If you're going to clean house, at least clean the whole lot, and not just a tiny piece of the corner.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:03 PM

240 posts, read 586,324 times
Default A way to much stuff to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So what .... I do not want to smell someone else's smoke and I think the majority of people would agree with me. What ab out my rights here?
I think breaking wind in public should be good for 25 years to life. I like pizza but I can eat very little of anymore so I think I should be criminal to be tempted by the odor of stuff one can't enjoy. Then there is the odor of stock yards, feed lots and hog operations that in the end cause death by their products ending up in someone's stomach.

There is million other examples of what people get upset about but when they start their car up they start pumping out stuff that will kill a lot quicker if the car is in a closed garage than a little second hand smoke. Of course that is odorless so no problem.

Just think of all the carbon monoxide that is breathed in when we are stuck in a traffic jam. Of course that big diesel punping out smoke is promoting health.

I don't smoke but I figured out a long time ago that the way to find the non-smoker is to watch which way the smoke drifts. It's kind of like that stork flying of a rest home and saying, "I sure could cause a lot of trouble around here."

Old 04-23-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13levine View Post
I think breaking wind in public should be good for 25 years to life. I like pizza but I can eat very little of anymore so I think I should be criminal to be tempted by the odor of stuff one can't enjoy. Then there is the odor of stock yards, feed lots and hog operations that in the end cause death by their products ending up in someone's stomach.

There is million other examples of what people get upset about but when they start their car up they start pumping out stuff that will kill a lot quicker if the car is in a closed garage than a little second hand smoke. Of course that is odorless so no problem.

Just think of all the carbon monoxide that is breathed in when we are stuck in a traffic jam. Of course that big diesel punping out smoke is promoting health.

I don't smoke but I figured out a long time ago that the way to find the non-smoker is to watch which way the smoke drifts. It's kind of like that stork flying of a rest home and saying, "I sure could cause a lot of trouble around here."
I know right! We would allow guns, factories, airplanes, even bbq, but no smokes or fat food, beer? What, for the safety of all Americans? Come on people, it's all or nothin!

Old 04-23-2011, 12:12 PM

NO FUN ALLOWED
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies