Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 PM

561 posts, read 505,629 times

Advertisements

A 75-year-old friend recently got a new pair of shoes. He complained to his doctor about sore feet after playing golf. His doctor explained that Medicare would pay for more comfortable shoes if he wanted them. The doctor told him the pair he chose cost $750. Medicare paid 100%.

The shoe brand/style was PW Minor/Strap-to-Toe. They're available on line for $250. Who pocketed the extra $500?

If Medicare (government run healthcare) provided vouchers for such purchases instead of paying the bill directly, then market forces would push prices lower. Because my friend didn't have to pay a cent he didn't care if he picked the most expensive pair. There are no market forces at work in the current government run system.

So long as government is the single biggest player in healthcare insurance there will be no downward pressure on prices. We will continue to pay $750 for $250 shoes.

If it's any consolation, thanks to government run healthcare, my friend took 2 strokes off his game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 03:06 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,429,059 times
Yeah right, market forces has been doing a great job of pushing prices lower. That must be why one bed at the hospital I used to work at cost like $300. That was just the bed and not even in a private room and this was back in the 80's or 90's. God only knows what that one bed cost these days.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:16 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
A little over $1000 in Tampa to stay overnight at the hospital. Varies on the hospital I'm sure, but thats about what I remember at a hospital I attended one night.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:29 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
Most people in countries with socialized health care like their system and wouldn't want to replace it with an American system.

No system is perfect, but socializing medical care makes a lot more sense than privatizing it.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
I suppose Paul Ryan's plan would give him a voucher for a fraction of that amount?

Old 04-22-2011, 07:15 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,919,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recovering Democrat View Post
A 75-year-old friend recently got a new pair of shoes. He complained to his doctor about sore feet after playing golf. His doctor explained that Medicare would pay for more comfortable shoes if he wanted them. The doctor told him the pair he chose cost $750. Medicare paid 100%.

The shoe brand/style was PW Minor/Strap-to-Toe. They're available on line for $250. Who pocketed the extra $500?

If Medicare (government run healthcare) provided vouchers for such purchases instead of paying the bill directly, then market forces would push prices lower. Because my friend didn't have to pay a cent he didn't care if he picked the most expensive pair. There are no market forces at work in the current government run system.

So long as government is the single biggest player in healthcare insurance there will be no downward pressure on prices. We will continue to pay $750 for $250 shoes.

If it's any consolation, thanks to government run healthcare, my friend took 2 strokes off his game.
Does your friend have diabetes by any chance? I would say his DR screwed him and the government IF this is true. I'd like to see the medicare reimbursement code on that. Your friend should also have paid a 20% co-pay.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:21 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,053,112 times
Horsecrap, Medicare would never pay for shoes just for sore feet. The Medicare rules to pay for footwear are:

You have diabetes

You have at least one of the following conditions:
Foot amputation—partial or complete
Past foot ulcers
Calluses that can become foot ulcers and/or lead to nerve damage
Poor circulation
Deformed foot

You are being treated under a comprehensive diabetes care plan and need therapeutic shoes and/or inserts because of diabetes.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Market forces pushed my Health insurance premium up 400% the last 4+years.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
The primary problem with government paid health care is the government eventually cuts prices and the private health insurance industry has to insure something else. Then the private owners of the supply side cannot extract monopoly profits and the owners of the insurance companies go broke because the money simply is no longer there.

As I do not believe the private sector should be involves in either providing the care or paying for it the loss of these companies does not bother me. I believe a government system would still attract doctors and nurses with good wages and benefits. These would not be a high as now because these people would not have to pay exorbitant cost for their educations. These would also be paid for by the government with appropriate controls on prices. Over all a government system would cost the economy less than our current private sector failure.

Old 04-22-2011, 08:02 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
I had another horrific VA experience this morning. They keep calling me in for tests and diagnostics, just because I've had Cancer twice. You would think, after a while, they would just call together one of those "death panels", Govt HC is so famous for, and be done with me. But, naw, they keep trying keep tabs on me in case something pops up again. The last time they found the Cancer in stage 1 and were able to deal with it with surgery, avoiding chemo. How despicable that Govt run HC is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies