Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 08:41 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm gay and have known as such basically my whole life as far back as I can remember. I get astounded when i here some conservatives talk about the 'gays' as though i'm one of the 'other'. I think it's weird because I'm just regular old me. The shy kid who liked to learn about history and liked to read etc. Yet they try to make me out to be a part of this 'other' that's separate. I think it's weird that to some people out there i'm 'one of them'. I think it's weird that strangers hate me enough to think that they get to vote on my rights while enjoying them and that they think it's constitutional to do so. (apparently conservatives aren't good at civics). I think it's weird how issues that surround 'me'. actually BRING people out to VOTE in a PASSIONATE ANGRY WAY.

I go to work, read, visit with friends and family. have a long term loving partner. What is it about 'me' that makes many conservatives so passionately angry?

How would you feel if strangers hated you for NO REASON?
Troll thread. Conservatives don't believe homosexuality is a political thing. YOU and YOUR KIND are who is making it into a political thing.

Btw, nobody hates you. Well, some people might, but they're stupid, so who cares what they think? And don't start in on the "you must hate us if you want to take away our rights, blah blah blah" b/c 1) that's not true and 2) the hyperbole has got to stop with the gay "rights" crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 09:03 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Well there you go .. that settles it .. now Gays have something to fall back on .. whew .. see how easy it is to solve your own problem when you sit back and actually think about it?

Still though ... running around and causing a scene because my girlfriend can't get my benefits seems like so much more fun to do .. I mean, how else is she ever going to get my money, lest I create all sorts of trouble and change multiple laws and policies because "I'm" uncomfortable ..
Nope. Common-law marriage doesn't apply to homosexuals, another big government intrusion biased against a specific group.

I guess I'm not as liberal as you are since I prefer government to stay out of the way and let people make their own decisions. That's just the American way, though. I don't expect most to understand anymore.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Troll thread. Conservatives don't believe homosexuality is a political thing. YOU and YOUR KIND are who is making it into a political thing.

Btw, nobody hates you. Well, some people might, but they're stupid, so who cares what they think? And don't start in on the "you must hate us if you want to take away our rights, blah blah blah" b/c 1) that's not true and 2) the hyperbole has got to stop with the gay "rights" crap.
That's not true. Radical conservatives have used political mechanisms to fight passionately to keep homosexuals from having equal rights. I can assure you most homosexuals would happily just have their rights and go their merry way.

You don't seem to understand this issue very well. Rights weren't taken away. They have been denied all along, just like with other oppressed groups.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Christian conservatives love to tell people how to live their lives. Despite all their stupid signs about small government, they really aren't.
So do liberals. You think there's only one agenda being pushed these days ?
Just look at all the various lawsuits being brought up around the country.
All sides think THEY are special and deserve special attention and laws.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Nope. Common-law marriage doesn't apply to homosexuals, another big government intrusion biased against a specific group.

I guess I'm not as liberal as you are since I prefer government to stay out of the way and let people make their own decisions. That's just the American way, though. I don't expect most to understand anymore.
Your obtusity is getting you nowhere. If you truly understood the post you were referring to, you'd throw out the juvenile responses and actually respond with a bit of clarity and understanding.

Here let me do it for you: The poster was asserting that gays could just as easily fight for common law marriage to achieve the same goals. Instead, they insist on nomenclature that makes them feel equal, when in reality all they need to do is fight to be able to be a bona fide "couple" for a certain number of years to get what they want...those big government benefits as you put it.....just as single hetero's do. Do you comprehend now? Or do you insist on the juvenile antics?

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 04-23-2011 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-23-2011, 09:51 AM

628 posts, read 1,315,944 times
Quote:
If you indeed in favor of keeping abortion legal, and allowing gays to marry, then you are in the minority of most Christian conservatives.
I'm also a conservative when it comes to fiscal matters and government size, however; I'm more than fine with gay marraige and what it encompases. Its not my life and therefore I shouldnt be telling you how to live yours. I'm pro abortion, pro marijuana and generally socially liberal. Perhaps the OP should not paint the world with such a broad brush!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,975,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
YOU and YOUR KIND are who is making it into a political thing..
There is actually some truth to this, whether we want to admit it or not: The reality is that society's moral barometer has always traditionally been filtered through family and subsequently community. Those have always been the mechanisms used for sustaining whichever moral thread is valued, via passing on of norms and ideologies to offspring.

Even in dictatorships, dictators rely heavily on cooperative families to maintain control over the social climate. People who consider themselves homosexual plainly cant naturally have children within the regular constructs of their selected existence; hence the organic or biological mechanism used for proliferating their ideology to the next generation via procreating and raising a family, is not available to them.

Consequently, the proliferation of homosexual ideology, must necessarily be conducted "artificially" through the state. When compared to the efficiency of traditional procreation, and its ensuing projection of values and ideological indoctrination upon society's young, homosexuals have no outlet to propagate their values save for the state or perhaps media.

Even in those instances whereby people who believe they are homosexuals do procreate, the biological collaboration still has to be between man & woman and requires a great deal of expense and resources to complete. And because those collaborations usually only result in 1 or 2 children, this process still does not result in a population large enough to offset the amount of people who are conceived by and raised by traditional couples.

Homosexuals are effectively beholden to the political indoctrination of straight couples' offspring. This will always be the case as long as two people of the same sex are unable to reproduce with one another.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The Constitution does not allow civil rights to be voted on. No one cares whether a small majority of the population voted against gay marriage. It's unconstitutional if 99.9% of them voted against it.
Marriage is not a contititional right;Its a concept allowed by law. Other wise people would marry their sister;etc.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Your obtusity is getting you nowhere. If you truly understood the post you were referring to, you'd throw out the juvenile responses and actually respond with a bit of clarity and understanding.

Here let me do it for you: The poster was asserting that gays could just as easily fight for common law marriage to achieve the same goals. Instead, they insist on nomenclature that makes them feel equal, when in reality all they need to do is fight to be able to be a bona fide "couple" for a certain number of years to get what they want...those big government benefits as you put it.....just as single hetero's do. Do you comprehend now? Or do you insist on the juvenile antics?
Really? That's your solution? Two people fall in love and they have to wait 7 years to stumble into some benefits? What about the 7 years of benefits they're denied because they're treated as inferior?

I guess there were those who didn't understand why slavery was wrong either. Every generation has its hurdles.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:58 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Quote:
Christian conservatives love to tell people how to live their lives. Despite all their stupid signs about small government, they really aren't.
And the left doesn't like to tell people how to live their life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies