Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 09:35 PM

275 posts, read 836,446 times

Advertisements

I know Christians can have vary different political opinions, however can someone explain to me why so many really "religious" Christians are so in line with the anti-"welfare" views of the Republican party? Yes, everyone can give his/her own money in charity, but that would reach a much narrower crowd (excluding a lot of people that really need help) than "welfare", etc. I know there are people who get welfare that probably don't need it, but if giving money to the poor was completely voluntary/charity, it would leave a lot of people out. Specifically, is there a religious teaching that you use to support this idea?

I do realize there are plenty of "religious" Christians who are intentionally not Republican because they feel they do not favor as many programs for the poor, but this is not my question (since this particular view seems more in line with what one associates with Christian teachings).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 09:56 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,484 times
Charities are much better at getting money to those who need it. The government does not do as well with large sums of money. You don't have to be a Christian to understand that. Also, it is better to give voluntarily than to have your money taken away where it might not even do much to help.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
When charity ceases to be voluntary it becomes theft. Taking by force (or threat) the money of one and giving it to another is theft, not charity. Redistribution of wealth by force (or threat) by the government is theft legalized only by soft tyranny.

Though shalt not steal.
Though shalt not covet.

Seems pretty clear to me. YMMV

Old 04-22-2011, 10:38 PM

948 posts, read 1,386,266 times
For me it's more of a let me chose what to do with my earned money. If I chose to donate it OK if not OK, each man should deal with his own conscience. I have a hard time paying for stuff when I don't get to chose what stuff.
I am very fond of NASCARS victory junction camp that offers a play week for kids that are sick and the Special Olympics. However I have to budget that donation around my tax dollars that will go to food stamps that I disagree how the system is run.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:54 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,304,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Though shalt not steal.
Though shalt not covet.

Seems pretty clear to me. YMMV
What dost thou's fairy tale book have to do with anything?

Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 PM

275 posts, read 836,446 times
Other than the 2 commandments quoted, nothing that you could point to specifically in the religious doctrine? I thought maybe it had to do with the Protestant Work Ethic or something. Like that one's success (ie the money you made pre-tax) is an indicator of being right with God. I might be totally messing that up, since I don't have a Protestant background.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:55 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
A question that needs to be addressed in this context is whether it is more merciful to encourage dependence on charity and inculcate generational hopelessness or to encourage self-reliance when possible and free the recipients of government largesse from continued dependence on their rulers.

We are not being heartless to children by denying them toys or requiring them earn and save for things they want, to our students by requiring them to engage in difficult study to master difficult subjects or techniques, or to our citizens by requiring them to forego some luxuries in the interest of long-term personall and family success and financial stability. In each of these cases, we are instead helping to make them more independent and self-reliant, and building pride in themselves and their abilities.

I hated it when my dad made me mow the lawn, shovel the snow, change the oil in the car, put up storm windows, rake leaves, shovel coal for the heater, and help my mother wash and fold clothes, peel potatoes, and do the dishes every night. But it made me a better husband and father later on in my life, and it taught me compassion for the people who have to do physical work for a living.

Being required to do without things, and having to earn one's keep, is a lesson that everyone needs to learn. The Republican approach at least acknowledges this fact, though their tenderness toward the wealthy is hard to square with their professed belief in paying one's way. The Democrats, though, are even worse -- pretending that life can be a gift from the government, and that the cost for this gift can be put on some sort of universal credit card that someone else has to pay for. The problem with the latter approach of course is that the Democrats have run out of "someone elses"...and it is beginning to dawn on everyone that we are all going to have to pay the bills now coming due.

One may of course argue that the GOP is cruel by not providing enough goodies for the right people. But the Democrats may have been guilty of the cruelest trick of all -- that of lying to the country about both their motives and their ability to provide for long-term stability of our economy in the face of trillions of dollars in unfunded entitlements.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 AM

639 posts, read 1,289,873 times
Many Christian Republicans avoid poor people, look down on poor people, and talk bad about them behind there back.
Christ lived amongst those people, because he was one of those people.
"Can anything good from Nazareth?"

I don't think ppl realize this but the town Jesus was born in was the East St. Louis of it's time. Jesus was from the ghetto and homeless most of his life. Thats why Jesus says in the Bible "Whatever you do to the least of these you do to me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies