Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Would someone who graduated from a prestigious engineering school with a 3.9 GPA be considered an undesireable and degenerate of society? Or would that only be the case if you knew he smoked pot 3-7 times a week for all four school years? Ever considered posting something supportable by fact?

The exception proves the rule. Most of the people I have encountered in college as well as current practice who smoke pot are defianately one to two standard deviations below the mean in accomplishments and ambition.

There are certainly functioning alcoholics as well. However, one would similarly not suggest that frequent consumption of alcohol is beneficial nor does it cull ambition or achievement. The same is for pot. It is like running a race with 50lbs strapped to your back. Some people, who are very fast, will still win races with this handicap. Most, however, will be hindered by the burden of clouded judgement and lethargy in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
Prohibiting marijuana is no different than when alcohol was prohibited. The people who do it will smoke it whether it is legal or illegal. The difference is that you regulate the use of it if it were legalized. Also, not all people who smoke marijuana are degenerates or deviants. I also don't see why government officials aren't advocating this. They're all about the dollars and legalizing marijuana would also mean putting a tax on it which gives them more money.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The exception proves the rule. Most of the people I have encountered in college as well as current practice who smoke pot are defianately one to two standard deviations below the mean in accomplishments and ambition.

There are certainly functioning alcoholics as well. However, one would similarly not suggest that frequent consumption of alcohol is beneficial nor does it cull ambition or achievement. The same is for pot. It is like running a race with 50lbs strapped to your back. Some people, who are very fast, will still win races with this handicap. Most, however, will be hindered by the burden of clouded judgement and lethargy in life.
Smoking pot or drinking alcohol doesn't necessarily make one an addict. It's true that overuse of things like pot or alcohol is bad for you, but there are also many people that use it recreationally rather than overusing it. For example, many people are social drinkers, but aren't alcoholics. The use of pot could be considered analogous to this since many people who use it also aren't addicts.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:16 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Maybe you just meet exceptions, I've encountered many smokers quite successful in their chosen fields.

Quote:
Based on what? Reefer Madness? There's plenty of 'clouded judgment' among people who neither smoke nor drink, what do we attribute that to?

I know when I'm having trouble sleeping I'd take a toke over the garbage Big Pharma will try to sell me anyday.

This is without even taking into account the vast amount of $$$ we p*ss away policing a silly weed. If we were really serious about cutting spending this issue would be on the agenda.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Almost everyone I know smokes pot and you would be surprised at their professions. I don't see any difference in having a few drinks or smoking a joint except one is illegal. Actually, I can point out the ones that have had a few drinks but not the ones who have smoked.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 AM

923 posts, read 1,429,800 times
Quote:
It is like running a race with 50lbs strapped to your back. Some people, who are very fast, will still win races with this handicap. Most, however, will be hindered by the burden of clouded judgement and lethargy in life.
That's only if they're dumb enough to show up for "the race" stoned. Most know when and where to enjoy it.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:29 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
And this is based upon what metrics? Guesstametrics? Assumametrics?

When you start to describe things in terms of standard deviations, I suggest that you have the coefficients to back it up.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:33 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:

same with fat people, lets ban food.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:35 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samusaran253 View Post
I support the unbanning of marijuana. But the more I see the kind of people who smoke marijuana, the less I support it being unbanned. Currently most (if not all) people who smoke marijuana are undesirables and degenerates of society.
You must be around some unsavory types of folks, most of the pot heads I know are pretty cool, much more upstanding citizens than the drunks I know.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,925,490 times
I think there is a difference between trying m.j. as a right-of-passage and developing a habit . . .

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies