Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ?
Obamacare 23 37.10%
Libya's war 3 4.84%
Guantanamo still open 7 11.29%
Auto bailout 1 1.61%
Wall Street bailout 4 6.45%
EPA Regulations 1 1.61%
Labor attacks against Boeing 4 6.45%
Israel criticized 1 1.61%
To give money to Brazil to develop their oil, but not our oil 3 4.84%
Other 15 24.19%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 12:08 PM

58,761 posts, read 27,092,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Correlation is not causation.

If the cause was the "Cash for Clunkers" program:

1) prices would have been rising two years ago, when the program ended, and not six months ago.
2) Prices haven't been rising since 2008, according to this article.
3) the "Cash for Clunkers" program required one to trade in a low mileage car. This article said the demand is for high mileage cars.
I think you are wrong, again.
Prove #3

I had over 100,00 miles on mine. I don't see any mention of milage.

Cash For Clunkers Details in a Nutshell
This is actually how the Cash for Clunkers program will work in details in simple words. In the bill there is something for both trade-in and newly-bought cars.
The requirements for trade-in vehicle.
It has to be 18 mpg or less, built in 1984 or after and be in drivable condition. The trade-in vehicle must be registered in purchaser's name and owned for 1 year.
Cash for Clunkers program details for cars bought with the trade ins have the following requirements.
The new car has to have at least 22 mpg and cost under $45,000. There will be $3,500 subsidy for car with 4 mpg improvement and $4,500 for 5 pmg improvement.
When it comes to small light-duty trucks they have to be at least 18 mpg. They will get $3,500 subsidy for 2mpg improvement and $4,500 for 5pmg improvement. However, the large light-duty trucks will need at least 15 mpg. They will get $3,500 subsidy for 1 mpg improvement and $4,500 for 2 mpg improvement.
Details: Cash for Clunkers Rules | Shrinkage Is Good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 12:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,769,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
No. I wanted to point out that Obama promised to be post partisan. He has failed to deliver on the point.
He has delivered the point. Succeeding is a whole different issue considering the bunch he has had to deal with.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:43 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,920,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I think you are wrong, again.
Prove #3

I had over 100,00 miles on mine. I don't see any mention of milage. (sic)

Cash For Clunkers Details in a Nutshell
This is actually how the Cash for Clunkers program will work in details in simple words. In the bill there is something for both trade-in and newly-bought cars.
The requirements for trade-in vehicle.
It has to be 18 mpg or less, built in 1984 or after and be in drivable condition. The trade-in vehicle must be registered in purchaser's name and owned for 1 year.
Cash for Clunkers program details for cars bought with the trade ins have the following requirements.
The new car has to have at least 22 mpg and cost under $45,000. There will be $3,500 subsidy for car with 4 mpg improvement and $4,500 for 5 pmg improvement.
When it comes to small light-duty trucks they have to be at least 18 mpg. They will get $3,500 subsidy for 2mpg improvement and $4,500 for 5pmg improvement. However, the large light-duty trucks will need at least 15 mpg. They will get $3,500 subsidy for 1 mpg improvement and $4,500 for 2 mpg improvement.
Details: Cash for Clunkers Rules | Shrinkage Is Good
Read your own words above. The words in blue are contradicted by the words in red. Unless you don't read what you wrote, the mileage requirement is quoted by you. By "low mileage car" I was referring to mpg.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
No. I wanted to point out that Obama promised to be post partisan. He has failed to deliver on the point.
He has delivered the point. Succeeding is a whole different issue considering the bunch he has had to deal with.
Considering that the other side opposes everything Obama does, simply because Obama does it, even if it was their proposal, how is it that Obama is the partisan?

Example:
President Obama introduced PAYGO (pay-as-you-go), a simple rule that says Congress cannot spend a dime without cutting a dime elsewhere. PAYGO was a big reason why America had balanced budgets and record surpluses in the 1990’s in which President Bill Clinton left to the Republican Controlled Congress and White House. Republican Senators John McCain, George Voinovich, Susan Collins and Olympia Snowe all endorsed PAYGO in recent years. But then, President Obama endorsed it. All the Republicans that formally endorsed it, John McCain, George Voinovich, Susan Collins, and Olympia Snowe, all voted against it when it came up for a vote.

Another one:
Six Republican senators who originally cosponsored forming a deficit commission voted against it once President Obama signed up for the idea.

Last edited by MTAtech; 07-07-2011 at 01:01 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 04:53 PM

58,761 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Read your own words above. The words in blue are contradicted by the words in red. Unless you don't read what you wrote, the mileage requirement is quoted by you. By "low mileage car" I was referring to mpg.
If you want to trade insults I will oblige.

Any idiot knows that mileage is how many miles you have on the vehicle.

Car ads say, "low mileage" and intelligent people know they mean that it does not have a lot of miles on it.

If you meant MPG you should have been clearer. Intelligent people use the term gas mileage.

Maybe you should re-read the article. In each instance it states MPG.

And NOWHERE in the article is the word mileage.

You loose, again.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:22 PM

Anyone knowledgeable about the program should have understood my meaning. I'm sorry that you misunderstood my meaning. I should be clear now and it refutes the original assertion that the C4C program caused used cars prices to rise.

Thus, I believe you incorrect when you say, "I think you are wrong, again."

Old 07-27-2011, 03:19 PM

591 posts, read 864,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
How is your post any less rude?
for one who calls the kettle black you don't have room to criticize.

Old 07-27-2011, 03:25 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,206,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
He's batting a big fat zero so far. The economy has gotten worse, medical costs, living expenses and gas prices are skyrocketing, the housing economy has hit the bottom, we are in a 3rd war and still in the first 2....

My guess is he is going to tout how much he spent on education and the middle class and how he saved us from the brink. What ajoke.
He can claim he took us from the strongest most respected country in history to a third world country where all is fair

Old 08-16-2012, 04:43 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,959,022 times
I'm hoping that he accomplishes losing the election in November.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 PM

26,972 posts, read 15,193,066 times
Other- Guiness World Record for blaming and finger pointing.

Some one buy this guy a mirror!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies