Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:41 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Raises an old question again, would homosexuals even want to be straight if it were possible to make them straight
Speaking for me - I wouldn't even consider it for a second.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:46 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,675,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Speaking for me - I wouldn't even consider it for a second.
Although I am straight, I can understand you. It would be like changing one's persona all of a sudden. Today your are attracted to your own sex, and tomorrow to the opposite...

Old 04-24-2011, 02:48 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,315,701 times
Quote:
Raises an old question again, would homosexuals even want to be straight if it were possible to make them straight

Anyone, if hormone problems are the cause of homosexuality I guess it would make sense - strictly from a natural standpoint - if those mothers had kids that are less likely to reproduce and carry over that hormone problem to the next generation.
If there was a hormonal cause for homosexuality, does this mean that homosexuality is abnormal?

Old 04-24-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
If there was a hormonal cause for homosexuality, does this mean that homosexuality is abnormal?
No - the opposite.

It means it's biologically caused, perfectly natural, and normal.

A quote from LuckyGem's article:

Quote:
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals accuses them of trying to "cure" homosexuality. Not true. Roselli and OHSU's publicist, Jim Newman, have spent months dousing this fire. Roselli has never said or written anything against homosexuality. In fact, he has said that studies suggesting a biological basis for homosexuality tend to encourage tolerance.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:55 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,406,067 times
Quote:
No - the opposite.

"People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals accuses them of trying to "cure" homosexuality. Not true. Roselli and OHSU's publicist, Jim Newman, have spent months dousing this fire. Roselli has never said or written anything against homosexuality. In fact, he has said that studies suggesting a biological basis for homosexuality tend to encourage tolerance."
I think there are other threads around here where you can debate this. Or you should create one, yet again. This is one of the most debated subjects on City Data.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I think there are other threads around here where you can debate this. Or you should create one, yet again. This is one of the most debated subjects on City Data.
Says the poster who, in this thread, linked two articles about research into the biological basis of homosexuality.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
Well, in my view homosexuality is abnormal no matter what causes it. Abnormal as in deviating from the norm, which is being straight. But certainly it is not unnatural.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Well, in my view homosexuality is abnormal no matter what causes it. Abnormal as in deviating from the norm, which is being straight. But certainly it is not unnatural.
That definition of "normal" renders the meaning of "normal" when discussing human characteristics meaningless.

What's the "normal" human height? Is it 5 feet, 4.28474293847324 inches? Wouldn't the "normal" human height be constantly changing as people are born and die, or since people tend to shrink as they age?

What's the "normal" shade of human hair color?

When using the word "normal" in relation to human characteristics, I think it's much more meaningful to use the definition of "normal" being "conforming to a common or regular type."

This is somewhat subjective, but I'd argue homosexual humans have been a "common" type of human as long as there have been humans.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
That definition of "normal" renders the meaning of "normal" when discussing human characteristics meaningless.

What's the "normal" human height? Is it 5 feet, 4.28474293847324 inches? Wouldn't the "normal" human height be constantly changing as people are born and die, or since people tend to shrink as they age?

What's the "normal" shade of human hair color?

When using the word "normal" in relation to human characteristics, I think it's much more meaningful to use the definition of "normal" being "conforming to a common or regular type."

This is somewhat subjective, but I'd argue homosexual humans have been a "common" type of human as long as there have been humans.
Hm, what is the percentage of homosexuals? 5%? When you take the tallest or shortest 5% of all people, I guess it is appropriate to say their height is not normal.
Anyway, let's not argue over the word normal. The key thing is that homosexuality is natural.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:24 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,315,701 times
Quote:
No - the opposite.

What about ex-gays, people who used to be homosexual but are now straight?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.