Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
Pqh... "Maybe you can point out these imaginary postings saying the parents can not be trusted. Saying the money is THE CHILDS, doesnt mean a distrust for the adults in the picture."

Senator:.. “My sole goal in this proposal is to make sure that children receive the clothing allowance that the state has provided for them and not have it used for anything else,”
WRONG.. The Senator isnt posting here..
Quote:
Then what does it imply?

Michigan Radio... "The Department of Human Services gives families an $80 annual stipend for clothing. Caswell said state money set aside to buy clothes for foster children and children from families of the working poor is used in the most effective way. “I never had anything new,” Caswell told Michigan Radio."......http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapi...hillsdale.html
Again, they arent posting here..
Quote:
Quote:
I was suggesting leaving the choice to the parent as to what clothing to buy and where.

Dqh... "They arent the childs parents.. Foster parents cant even choose to cut the childrens hair, and the money given for clothes IS THE CHILDS, not the parents.."
That doesnt say that the parents cant be trusted.. it says the FACT that the money is THE CHILDS.. Clearly you havent put your family out to help those less fortunate by foster caring or you would know this..
Quote:
So, it appears that this original plan also affects the working poor, not just foster kids.
How so? The only way it would affect the working poor is if you are claiming the money for clothes is being "taken" from the foster parents even though ITS NOT THEIRS... How is taking money for a child, and giving it to the child, harmful otherwise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 06:15 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
We are the biggest wast of clothing and furniture on this planet. Every house in most college communities have a couch sitting on the lawn. I have never seen so much waste and especially in clothing. What is wrong with reusing the decent hand me downs? It is a very "green" way to go and only a entitlement liberal would have a problem with it. They treat the poor like pets instead of human beings. My kids all had hand me downs and again we should be happy someone is recycling.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
No one is forcing these foster parents to buy "used" clothes. They are free to buy their foster kids brand new clothes with their own money.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
This thread sure illustrates the cold heartless reality of Right Wing beliefs and ideology.

You show no respect for government policy that may benefit another, yet you profit handsomely from the benefits afforded by it to you.
Quite right, that was the purpose of the thread. To point out the basic difference between those that value all people, not just those that drive BMWs.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Another compassionate conservative.

Show me a kid in foster care and 9 times out of 10 I can show you a misguided liberal policy which put the kid there.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:20 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Default Another Thread Title To Nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akama13 View Post
What's the point of such a law? It's not like the clothing allowance for foster kids depends on where the clothes are bought from. And thrift stores are not necessarily cheaper, and most certainly not always easily accessible and equipped with the needed items. Last time I went to goodwill they didn't haveany t-shirts in my daughter's size, for example. It's just authoritarian for the sake of it.

Seems the Rep actually was just trying to make sure the $80 annual clothing allowance that goes on the food stamp card actually buys clothes for the kid and not something for the parent.

Senator Bruce Caswell :: 16th District

Old 04-25-2011, 08:22 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
This is what the Republicans call "smaller government"---more regulations on top of regulations? While it's a great SUGGESTION to foster parents, a hard and fast rule doesn't cut it. Like someone above already said thrifty shops don't usually sell everything a kid needs (like underwear, socks and winter coats) and, heaven forbid, if the foster child is a size that rarely shows up in thrifty shops, they'd have to go naked. Nothing wrong with shopping in thrifty shops but we'd also have the problem of the areas of the state that aren't serviced by a thrift shop within a reasonable driving distance.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:27 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

Again, which is why the provision went no where, but next time, why dont you call out the real hyperbold, which is we HATE the poor.. utter nonsese trash...
Fair enough. I think we ALL need to dial down the rhetoric.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:39 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Instead of all the extremist crap thats being said on here, how about a moderate position.

1. I was dressed in thrift clothes and hand me downs for most of my first 18 years of life. I survived. I caught some crap for some horribly outdated stuff in middle school, but I survived. I'll probably dress my kids in thrift store clothes when the time comes.

2. I don't ever remember seeing underwear or socks in thrift stores.

3. This is a good idea, could save a lot of money. However it should not be the sole source of funding for these kids. If the thrift store doesn't have it, should the kid go without? What about a proper fitting coat? Shoes? I could never find shoes my size in thrift stores. Lets see the details of the bill. As always thats where the devil is.

4. This just shows how sad our culture is, Michigan, the state thats been in the hole for years, that now has a governor wanting to cut taxes for businesses, has legislators wanting to save money by skimping on clothing for foster kids. Whats next, foster kids can only shop at save-a-lot? (I've shopped there and their produce is lacking, and most of the other options aren't that healthy). What does it say about us when this is what we'll do so corporate America gets their tax cuts? How much will this bill save? What does this bill say about us and our priorities?

Again, I don't think shopping at thrift stores is a bad idea, I just think its bad that we are doing this to foster kids in order to maintain tax cuts for the wealthy. where's the shared sacrifice? If foster kids are sacrificing, maybe the elites should too........
I live in Michigan and worked in a thrift store briefly, a long time ago, and we sold both socks and underwear. Used.

Prices are absolutely not any cheaper than what one would find on the sale racks at Target or Walmart.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:57 AM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Seems the Rep actually was just trying to make sure the $80 annual clothing allowance that goes on the food stamp card actually buys clothes for the kid and not something for the parent.

Senator Bruce Caswell :: 16th District
He wanted to require that clothing only be purchased from used clothing stores.

By Barton Deiters | The Grand Rapids Press The Grand Rapids Press
Follow
Share91
Share close
Google Buzz Digg Stumble Upon Fark
Share Email Print
Caswell.jpgState Sen. Bruce Caswell, R-Hillsdale

Critics of Republican plans to severely cut the state's deficit-laden budget are seeing shades of Charles Dickens in a proposal by a State Senator from the Hillsdale area. State Sen. Bruce Caswell wants to see the state's clothing allowance for foster children to be spent only at thrift stores. The Department of Human Services gives families an $80 annual stipend for clothing. Caswell said state money set aside to buy clothes for foster children and children from families of the working poor is used in the most effective way. “I never had anything new,” Caswell told Michigan Radio. “I got all the hand-me-downs. And my dad, he did a lot of shopping at the Salvation Army, and his comment was -- and quite frankly it's true -- once you're out of the store and you walk down the street, nobody knows where you bought your clothes.” The Michigan League for human services says the idea sacrifices the children's dignity for the sake of saving a few dollars. [Michigan Radio]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies