Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:10 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times

Advertisements

I thought that America supported freedom of speech for all citizens. Even the ones we don't agree with.

Yes, it is unfortunate that some people wish to sully the memory of someone who has given his life doing what the thought was right. But even so, as Evelyn Beatrice Hall said (attributed to Voltaire)...

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Tyranny is when we are "forced" to tolerate the intolerant .. The WBC is an intolerant lot, and most true Americans absolutely will not tolerate them ..

So ... what was your point again?
Tyranny is when you force the people you don't agree with to shut up.

I support any lawful attempts to interdict the Westboro Church group, but I don't support people resorting to violence to shut up the people they disagree with. Because I was raised to respect the Constitution. And the Constitution protects the Westboro Church group. As it protects any minority group from the tyranny of the majority. You do far more harm with your intolerance than they do with theirs.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:11 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Political Correctness as seen in some of the posts here is disgusting.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Ya think? .. How much less of a bully is it that promotes special interest in favor of the WBC? Hmmm?
Who promotes special interest in favor of the WBC? Hmmm? I promote freedom of speech. For everyone. Just as the Constitution stated. And the reason minority groups are protected is because they NEED protection. The majority should not be the sole voice in any society. The majority has the advantage. And when the majority seeks to shut people up, the majority is the bully. That is why, in order to assure that EVERYONE's freedom of speech is protected, that the dissonant voices receive special protection. Because they are the voices most at risk.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Political Correctness as seen in some of the posts here is disgusting.

Maybe it's time to take back America from the progressive liberal left...
What America are you talking about? The lawless one where the biggest gun rules?

This has nothing to do with political correctness, if you really think beating someone for saying something you don't agree with is OK you are truly clueless about America.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Tyranny is when you force the people you don't agree with to shut up.

I support any lawful attempts to interdict the Westboro Church group, but I don't support people resorting to violence to shut up the people they disagree with. Because I was raised to respect the Constitution. And the Constitution protects the Westboro Church group. As it protects any minority group from the tyranny of the majority. You do far more harm with your intolerance than they do with theirs.
I agree 100% with the bolded statement above ..

What I don't agree with is the chosen method of delivery that the WBC chooses to use.

The United States Constitution absolutely does not give anyone the right to be direspectful, loud, and obnoxious when presenting their views to another.

If you want to get into the face of another, with the very clear intention of provoking a response, you'ld best be ready for the consequences of your actions .. because what you have to say doesn't matter anymore.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Apparently somewhere in the constitution, written in special ink only the bullies can read, there is a clause allowing drunk bullies to beat up on anybody they want.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:26 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,904,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Who promotes special interest in favor of the WBC? Hmmm? I promote freedom of speech. For everyone. Just as the Constitution stated. And the reason minority groups are protected is because they NEED protection. The majority should not be the sole voice in any society. The majority has the advantage. And when the majority seeks to shut people up, the majority is the bully. That is why, in order to assure that EVERYONE's freedom of speech is protected, that the dissonant voices receive special protection. Because they are the voices most at risk.
What the WBC fails to realize is that though the United States Supreme Court protects their right to free speech, they didn't protect them from the consequences of what happens when your are disrepectful .. If you choose to be disrespectful, no court or Constitution in the land is going to protect you .. and the folks of Mississippi proved that point beyond any doubt.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
What America are you talking about? The lawless one where the biggest gun rules?

This has nothing to do with political correctness, if you really think beating someone for saying something you don't agree with is OK you are truly clueless about America.

Sorry, when ANYONE wants to diss a fallen American warrior they deserve the crap beat out of them PERIOD.....

Maybe I'll get a ticket/fine for doing it... a small price to pay to protect the dead warrior and their families respect.

And in this case where the church group is a hate group....

Last edited by plwhit; 04-25-2011 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Sorry, when ANYONE wants to diss a fallen American warrior they deserve the crap beat out of them PERIOD.....
True.............................................. BUT

WHO decides the next time someone deserves the crap beat out of them for mere words?

And if you truly believe 'deserve' should replace the law please let us know when those responsible for the Pat Tillman cover-up are taken to the woodshed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies