Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,228,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
What the WBC fails to realize is that though the United States Supreme Court protects their right to free speech, they didn't protect them from the consequences of what happens when your are disrepectful .. If you choose to be disrespectful, no court or Constitution in the land is going to protect you .. and the folks of Mississippi proved that point beyond any doubt.
You don't think that the perpetrator of the violence toward the WBC member will be charged with assault if he/she is found?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:39 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,535,221 times
I was a living American Warrior when I got back from 'Nam. I was called all manner of names but did not do anything violent if the insult remained verbal. I just dismissed the creep as a ignorant fool. A couple of drunks did assault me at one time. They were still alive when I walked away. Insult I ignore, assault I respond to.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,890,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
You don't think that the perpetrator of the violence toward the WBC member will be charged with assault if he/she is found?
Trouble is .. who exactly started the fight? Who threw the first punch? Who provoked who?

Oh those pesky details ..

You just assume that one of the locals started it ..

Old 04-25-2011, 11:44 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,721,204 times
Quote:
I agree 100% with the bolded statement above ..

What I don't agree with is the chosen method of delivery that the WBC chooses to use.

The United States Constitution absolutely does not give anyone the right to be direspectful, loud, and obnoxious when presenting their views to another.

If you want to get into the face of another, with the very clear intention of provoking a response, you'ld best be ready for the consequences of your actions .. because what you have to say doesn't matter anymore.
I am every bit as offended by the actions of the Westboro Church group as you are. But I find myself more offended by upstanding Americans advocating violence to silence the voices of those they disagree with.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM

2,028 posts, read 1,881,539 times
Delete, never mind.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,932,759 times
Compare this thread to the thread about Dearbornistan.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:48 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,228,160 times
Quote:
Trouble is .. who exactly started the fight? Who threw the first punch? Who provoked who?

Oh those pesky details ..

You just assume that one of the locals started it ..
Fair enough.

However, you appear to be taking the stance that it is acceptable to initiate violence against a person who is being disrespectful

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude
What the WBC fails to realize is that though the United States Supreme Court protects their right to free speech, they didn't protect them from the consequences of what happens when your are disrepectful .. If you choose to be disrespectful, no court or Constitution in the land is going to protect you .. and the folks of Mississippi proved that point beyond any doubt.
Do you actually believe that a person would not be held legally responsible for assaulting another person because of a 'disrespectful' defense?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Do you actually believe that a person would not be held legally responsible for assaulting another person because of a 'disrespectful' defense?
Not really, but it's common that the one who usually starts these things gets the citation .. if you provoke the incident, you are the one that takes the fall, regardless of who got their butt kicked.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I am every bit as offended by the actions of the Westboro Church group as you are. But I find myself more offended by upstanding Americans advocating violence to silence the voices of those they disagree with.
If a person can't control the delivery method of their messege, then I suppose they'll suffer whatever consequence their shortsightedness with regard to the matter produces.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:00 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,282,314 times
Quote:
If a person can't control the delivery method of their messege, then I suppose they'll suffer whatever consequence their shortsightedness with regard to the matter produces.
I don't know the constitutionality of it, but if someone insulted a friend of mine (or relative),
on the day of his funeral, I'd poke him in the eye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies