Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:31 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times

Advertisements

To those who are generally anti-union,if any country needs unions it's Chinese workers right?

Wages, conditions improve as workers in China form unions - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Is there really a non union way for these workers to deal with this?

YouTube - In China, Workers Detail Health Effects of Producing i-Phones

Old 04-25-2011, 11:22 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
Watch out: heads on P & OC are going to explode!

Old 04-25-2011, 11:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
American unions for public workers -- like teachers unions -- are the worst enemy.

American unions for private workers are a severe problem. I don't think they should be illegal, I just think they are granted too many "special rights" at the federal level that the rest of us don't get to enjoy. NLRB and Boeing right now is a prime example.

Foreign unions, public or private, are GREAT. They make our labor far more competitive. I support Chinese unionization, especially for their most skilled workers. That would help bring those jobs back to the United States by reducing the profitability of global labor arbitrage.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
IWW Forever!!

Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who are generally anti-union,if any country needs unions it's Chinese workers right?

Wages, conditions improve as workers in China form unions - USATODAY.com
Well .. we pretty much offshored everything else .. so why not the Union Concept?

Good for them .. now the communists are going to find out just how underhanded they haven't been about things all of these years ..

Old 04-25-2011, 11:37 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
American unions for public workers -- like teachers unions -- are the worst enemy.

American unions for private workers are a severe problem. I don't think they should be illegal, I just think they are granted too many "special rights" at the federal level that the rest of us don't get to enjoy. NLRB and Boeing right now is a prime example.

Foreign unions, public or private, are GREAT. They make our labor far more competitive. I support Chinese unionization, especially for their most skilled workers. That would help bring those jobs back to the United States.
Pal, before there were private sector unions, workers were routinely exploited. It was the introduction of unions that brought safety, child labor, fair wage and humane working conditions to the workplace. Am I missing anything? Oh yeah, they gave us the weekend and the middle class.

We really don't need reactionaries putting back 150 years to a time when the country had the uber-rich and everyone else.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Pal, before there were private sector unions, workers were routinely exploited.

It was the introduction of unions that brought safety, child labor, fair wage and humane working conditions to the workplace. Am I missing anything? Oh yeah, they gave us the weekend and the middle class.
unions have existed in some form, since the european guilds after the fall of the roman empire.

i could tell you stories about my great great grandfather who was a tobacco farmer, his story would also be historical and irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Quote:
We really don't need reactionaries putting back 150 years to a time when the country had the uber-rich and everyone else.
unfortunately, "pal", unions don't support the interests of the bulk of working men and women of America anymore. They make up about 7% of all private sector workers, and as I understand it they have a rather hostile attitude towards young workers trying to enter the labor force. Private sector unions are supported primarily by a small fraction of manufacturing workers and retirees between ages 40 and 80.

Older union workers, enjoy your generous retirements, because y'all's greed poisoned the well for the next generation of unionized manufacturing workers.

Last edited by le roi; 04-25-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 11:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
These people are ONLY concerned with profit uninhibited by ANY morals, justice or law. Making as much money is the shortest time is the ONLY consideration. They simply worship money and greed.

They are not amenable to argument because their obsession is religious.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:03 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Isn't the Chinese government the biggest union in the country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies