Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
A few people that I've tutored got to be the first in their family to go to college. I helped them with that. So not many, but 3 people I helped.

We all graduated and have jobs in the 40-50k range. Single earners.

I never said I was a person of great influence. I stated I've always been middle class (on my dad's side). VERY poor on my mom's side (didn't mention). I just don't think that random selection of genes should be the single largest determinant of which class you end up in.
It's not.

That's what makes America unique.

That's 3 people who can thank you and I hope that they are truly grateful for the gift you gave them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:04 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,041,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
This is an excellent, thoughtful post. Unfortunately- closed minds will not accept it. It is easier to blame all poor people for their plight.
I'm not blaming the poor. But the left seems to blame the wealthy.

What is worse....telling people that they have no chance, so here's a little bit (on the taxpayer) to get buy on, or informing people that they do not need to depend on the government and that they have options, other than welfare?

We know what the democratic party wants and needs....victims.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:33 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,866,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
In other words you live by the credo "I've got mines and if you don't have your then F***K You!"

By the way in the year 2000 there were 31.581 million Americans living below the poverty rate and that rate was 11.3%. As of 2009 there were 43.569 million Americans living below the poverty level. That's an increase of 37.96%. That the biggest increase we've seen in the increase of Americans living below the poverty level since the period of 1973 to 1982.

Don't tell me the middle class is doing "Just Fine" when this nation has seen a record number of foreclosures.

Look at the latest census data and see the fastest growing segment of the population. If we keep our borders open it will increase poverty and gut the middle class.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:03 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's not.

That's what makes America unique.

That's 3 people who can thank you and I hope that they are truly grateful for the gift you gave them.
Uh... right. So most children born poor don't stay poor? Yeah... statistics and facts are your friends.

That's the minority. Because I helped. Imagine if there were a larger entity that could do the same.

Your logical ballet is bumping up against reality.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I'm not blaming the poor. But the left seems to blame the wealthy.

What is worse....telling people that they have no chance, so here's a little bit (on the taxpayer) to get buy on, or informing people that they do not need to depend on the government and that they have options, other than welfare?

We know what the democratic party wants and needs....victims.
What about fixing schools? What about reducing tuition? What about lowering health care costs? Those things coupled with telling people that they can succeed is better than telling them that they can succeed, but not providing the same opportunities. Later, you then spout on saying that if 1 or 2 people can do it everyone can and if you did not you suck. Clearly, the better option is to provide equal opportunity for all.

The Republican party is looking to drain our nation and redistribute wealth...towards the wealthy. Conservatives are trying to conserve the past...a type of corporate feudalism.

Just look at the recent proposals at raising taxes on the poor, cutting social services the poor use, and CUTTING taxes for the rich. Really?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
In other words you live by the credo "I've got mines and if you don't have your then F***K You!"

By the way in the year 2000 there were 31.581 million Americans living below the poverty rate and that rate was 11.3%. As of 2009 there were 43.569 million Americans living below the poverty level. That's an increase of 37.96%. That the biggest increase we've seen in the increase of Americans living below the poverty level since the period of 1973 to 1982.

Don't tell me the middle class is doing "Just Fine" when this nation has seen a record number of foreclosures.
Pretty much.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Because in the last 30 years their incomes games have grown significatly while non-executive wages have more or less stagnated.

Top group takes large slice of income growth

If you want to practice "F**K You Let Them Eat Cake Capitalism" where there is gross income inequality in the American economy bear this in mind. The middle class in places like Korea, China, India, Brazil, Indonesia, Australia and other parts of the world is expanding.

The basis of economic and poltical stability of ANY COUNTRY IS THE STABILITY AND GROWTH OF ITS MIDDLE CLASS.

The French Revolution, Russian Revolution, Cuban Revolution, and the current unrest in the Middle East ARE ALL BASED ON A SUBSTANTIAL PORTION OF THE POPULATION BEING DENIED THE OPPORTUNITY TO IMPROVE THEIR ECONOMIC CONDITIONS
Facts only confuse them.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:18 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,236,953 times
No more tired than I am of the right saying that life should be nothing but extreme misery.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:25 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,961,065 times
alphamale:"We know what the democratic party wants and needs....victims"

Amen, so much so, they would die if there were fewer they could call victims. For 6 years, I tutored college kids, first year for pay on campus, last 5 volunteering. On campus, I challenged the professors to improve enough they'd eliminate the need for my position. Think any employee in a Welfare office feels the same way? If they care, as opposed to being one just milking the system, they should want the need for their position eliminated.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
alphamale:"We know what the democratic party wants and needs....victims"

Amen, so much so, they would die if there were fewer they could call victims. For 6 years, I tutored college kids, first year for pay on campus, last 5 volunteering. On campus, I challenged the professors to improve enough they'd eliminate the need for my position. Think any employee in a Welfare office feels the same way? If they care, as opposed to being one just milking the system, they should want the need for their position eliminated.
Is that why the Republicans constantly decrease funds for universities causing an increase in tuition and thus poor kids unable to afford college?

The right is not known for wanting an equal playing field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies