Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 05:43 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What do you suggest?

BTW...YOU'RE the one talking about "imagine".
Geez, I wonder what entity pools money together to provides services that the people want...

Hmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
The left has controlled education in America for generations, what's your beef?

The left control "big college" and tuition rates. Ask them why they need $50,000 per student per year.

I thought obamacare was passed? Didn't that lower healthcare costs?

Raising taxes is not the answer.
The right has a longer track record for cutting education.

The right initially pushed for mandatory purchasing of health care and did not want the public option (they claimed that premiums would be too low and thus health insurance companies would go out of business).

Raising taxes is needed for the rich. I think that having such a low tax rate is ridiculous at this time. How are paying for the lost revenue?

Old 04-26-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:

Lowering taxes brings in more revenue.
Really? Just like a pay cut?

Old 04-26-2011, 07:19 AM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Exactly.

People do not start businesses with the thought of how many jobs they will create.

They do it for profit.

A hard concept for some of these people.
If I start a company making widgets, I need to ensure I make a good quality product that can compete in the market. If I'm not making a profit then I cannot pay my employees and they lose their jobs.

If I take too much of the profits to line my pockets and I do not have enough capital left over to invest into the company, I will not be able to compete in the market, and I cannot pay my employees and they lose their jobs.

If I take too much of the profits to line my pockets and I do not compensate my employees well enough, some will quit their jobs or turn down my offer for employment, my product will suffer, I will not be able to compete in the market and I go out of business.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
Really? Just like a pay cut?
I can't remember where I read it, but someone did a study on how many times government taxes the same dollar, as changes hands and makes its way thru the economy. The more dollars interacting between people in the market economy, the more tax revenue that is generated.

If the federal government takes an extra 5% out of everyone's paycheck, that is 5% less money people have to invest, save or spend locally.

If the federal government raises taxes and takes $5,000,000 from the county I live in, then that is $5 million that cannot be used by private businesses to remain competitive by building, expanding, investing in new infrastructure, or giving out raises or hiring new employees. If the people in the county have less income it's also potential tax revenue denied to the local city, county and state.

A large percentage of that $5 million gets wasted by the inefficient federal government bureaucracy, and then they may end up sending whatever money is left over to go overseas for birth control projects or the give it to a county in Florida to build a turtle tunnel under the highway.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The right disparages the very concept of fair and despises any hint of playing by the same rules.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:16 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,179,956 times
The Right complains about fairness because they have no ethics, morals, or principles. Everything they do is just when it's to their own advantage.
More reasons not to trust the Right.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
What about fixing schools? What about reducing tuition? What about lowering health care costs? Those things coupled with telling people that they can succeed is better than telling them that they can succeed, but not providing the same opportunities. Later, you then spout on saying that if 1 or 2 people can do it everyone can and if you did not you suck. Clearly, the better option is to provide equal opportunity for all.

The Republican party is looking to drain our nation and redistribute wealth...towards the wealthy. Conservatives are trying to conserve the past...a type of corporate feudalism.

Just look at the recent proposals at raising taxes on the poor, cutting social services the poor use, and CUTTING taxes for the rich. Really?
You are seriously going to beat that drum foe spending more on education?? The first thing Bush did when taking office was to let Sen. Kennedy write the largest education bill in our history. Each year after that, Bush continued to increase spending on K-12 education by 7% each year; for a comparison, it was only 3% per year under Clinton.

With all that money, we still have the left using the excuse of "not enough money" is being spent on education.

The federal government gives billion a year to higher education, and yet each year increases to tuition and books greatly outpaces inflation. We should demand colleges and universities lower tuition or they get no more federal money, and no more grants to students who attend their colleges and universities. As it stands today, the only people who can attend college are the poor, thru taxpayer funded assistance, and the wealthy, the middle class cannot afford $10,000-$40,000 a year tuition.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,929,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
As a so called "liberal," I can assure you that the last thing I want to do is to take rich people's money and give it "to the people who'd rather sell drugs for a living and live up the thug life because they were too weak-minded to resist pressure." What we, or at least I, want our collective tax dollars to go to is to ensure that every young person can receive a decent education and that every poor family has access to services that will help them help themselves out of poverty.
Well said and I agree. What you will get from the righties is they already get those things and will forget to mention that they want to end all of that.
Casper

Old 04-26-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
The Right complains about fairness because they have no ethics, morals, or principles. Everything they do is just when it's to their own advantage.
More reasons not to trust the Right.
explain again to me how a 15% tax rate on $34k a year, and 35% on $370k a year is a sign of an unfair tax code, especially when the person making $34k ends up getting a tax return that equals their entire federal income tax withholding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies