Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 01:23 PM

17,385 posts, read 11,890,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
It is an education issue. Sorry, but again the fact you are using pedophilia shows that you're not willing to look at other perspectives in solving the problem.

I'm surprised. After all, isn't one of the definitions of conservative "unimaginative and dull"? Well, this post illustrates that point quite well.

I explained my position and showed that college attainment has an impact on unemployment as well as income. I would just rather have people who are here illegally be fully functioning members of society. I think that's better than the alternative.

No, not comparable since you're neglecting the fact that one you're denying the ability to earn more money and pay more taxes...whereas with pot you're denying the ability to get stoned.
Your saying it's an education issue doesn't make it so. It's a criminal issue. Saying it 100 times won't change that fact. I am willing to look at other perspectives. But that perspective doesn't include amnesty, EVER. Tried it once and the problem only got worse. You aren't willing to look at cracking down on illegals. Guess that makes us even.

YOUR definition of conservative may be that, but it's not mine. And my definition of liberal isn't fit to print.

I understand you've shown college to have an impact on unemployment and income. But you keep conveniently leaving out that ILLEGAL part of it. I would rather have criminals sent back to whence they came, and lock the door behind them. I think that's the better alternative.

I'm not denying law abiding american citizens the ability to earn more money and pay more taxes. Just illegals. And you can twist and manipulate the argument all you want, the fact is you are defending a criminal's right to take money from american taxpayers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 08:09 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,828,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Your saying it's an education issue doesn't make it so. It's a criminal issue. Saying it 100 times won't change that fact. I am willing to look at other perspectives. But that perspective doesn't include amnesty, EVER. Tried it once and the problem only got worse. You aren't willing to look at cracking down on illegals. Guess that makes us even.

YOUR definition of conservative may be that, but it's not mine. And my definition of liberal isn't fit to print.

I understand you've shown college to have an impact on unemployment and income. But you keep conveniently leaving out that ILLEGAL part of it. I would rather have criminals sent back to whence they came, and lock the door behind them. I think that's the better alternative.

I'm not denying law abiding american citizens the ability to earn more money and pay more taxes. Just illegals. And you can twist and manipulate the argument all you want, the fact is you are defending a criminal's right to take money from american taxpayers.
College attainment vs. high school diploma. Sorry but that's education. Nothing else.

I am willing to crack down on illegal immigrants, just not those that are willing to go to college. I don't agree with jailing illegal immigrants.So no that doesn't make us even. It just shows that I more nuanced and you're more blunt. I think that people can be of worth to our society even if their parents did not come via traditional means. However, if you commit a crime that requires prison time, I think that deportation and transferring to the prison of you home country should be the punishment. I think that we should reward or punish the direct actions (not the status of the person). I think that we could reduce costs by raising revenue (normalizing statuses of those that are attaining the middle class dream) and reducing the prison population (deporting those that have committed a crime that requires prison time). Prosecuting a college student is silly and a waste of time and money.

But, we're talking about education. Ringwise, schooling is education. I know it's a hard concept to equate educational attainment with oh I don't know EDUCATION, but do try to stay on topic (instead of comparing college seeking people to pedophiles).

It's funny that your definition of liberal "isn't fit to print" however, history shows us that liberalism really has been the dominant force since the 1200s (from the Magna Carta, to our constitution, ending of slavery, civil rights, etc.). Liberalism is essentially a challenge to the status quo. So why would people not want to progress? I think that at a certain point in time, you need to realize that conservatism is more influenced by liberalism than vice versa.

I'm twisting the argument. It is about people wanting to go to college. That's it. It's not about criminals or pedophiles or pot smokers. It's about finding ways to create the best environment for the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies