Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:44 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
What 'case' would the government possibly have against me? Why exactly would the government be out to get me?

Is there any real danger here, or is it just people with tinfoil hats crying conspiracy?
It's not just about you.
And my point is you don't have to actually do anything, but just come under suspicion.
Maybe a neighbor who dislikes you or a jealous co-worker or an ex-boyfriend reports you to Homeland Security, FBI, et al.

Similiar to dictatorships, we live in a time where our own government encourages it's citizens to report on the activities of each other.
"If You See Something, Say Something" -Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 04-25-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 08:48 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
And did you also know that anytime you walk into a coffee shop someone can notice you are there and write it down?

the horror! What exactly is the big deal here?
You didn't play the video, did you? If you post those photos online, I can track your daily routine so I know when I can break into your home. If I was a stalker I could easily track you. And, I'm not a camera maker or Apple.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:51 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
Quote:
What 'case' would the government possibly have against me? Why exactly would the government be out to get me?

Is there any real danger here, or is it just people with tinfoil hats crying conspiracy?

You know what will ACTUALLY happen with this info? You will get advertisements which target your exact personal needs more accurately, instead of just getting spam. You might (gasp) actually benefit from the products offered by the ads generated by this location info.
What if my personal needs more accurately are to prohibit ads targeted by what some company may perceive as suitable for me? In other words, invade my space without my consent.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:59 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:

Well, the US military had a slideshow presentation warning about this issue because it could reveal soldiers locations. That's where I first heard about it.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:17 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
The Really Smart Phone

Apple and Google may be intensifying privacy concerns by tracking where and when people use their mobile phones—but the true future of consumer surveillance is taking shape inside the cellphones at a weather-stained apartment complex in Cambridge, Mass.

For almost two years, Alex Pentland at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology has tracked 60 families living in campus quarters via sensors and software on their smartphones—recording their movements, relationships, moods, health, calling habits and spending. In this wealth of intimate detail, he is finding patterns of human behavior that could reveal how millions of people interact at home, work and play.

This is a very informative article about the research taking place with people's information.

Now that this is becoming widely known - will consumers choose neat applications on a smart phone or a little less technology with privacy?

Old 04-25-2011, 09:18 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,205,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It's not just about you.
And my point is you don't have to actually do anything, but just come under suspicion.
Maybe a neighbor who dislikes you or a jealous co-worker or an ex-boyfriend reports you to Homeland Security, FBI, et al.

Similiar to dictatorships, we live in a time where our own government encourages it's citizens to report on the activities of each other.
"If You See Something, Say Something" -Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Secretary Janet Napolitano
If someone wants to screw my life over, they don't need my cell phone to do it. Government corruption has been around since Caesar's time. Who cares about cell phones?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You didn't play the video, did you? If you post those photos online, I can track your daily routine so I know when I can break into your home. If I was a stalker I could easily track you. And, I'm not a camera maker or Apple.
lol, I definitely understand geotagging. I work in IT. I wrote a program that tracks smart phone data when I was a senior in College (not the point of the program, but a side effect needed for the program to do what it needed to do). If someone wants to break into my home, they are GOING TO DO IT. They can also sit and watch for me to leave and then break in. Does that mean you are going to never leave? You seem more than a little paranoid. People broke into houses before cell phones, 4Square and geotagging.

You know how you can guarantee no one will break into your house? Either never leave (hiding behind the door with a baseball bat), buy a top of the line security system, or do what I do - buy decent homeowners insurance and don't obsessively worry about every little thing in life that MIGHT go wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
What if my personal needs more accurately are to prohibit ads targeted by what some company may perceive as suitable for me? In other words, invade my space without my consent.
You gave your consent when you bought the cell phone. If you don't like it, don't use their product (cell phone/facebook/data plan/etc.)

Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,097,333 times
This is why I still use my boring old Motorola, no Facebook for me either...

I drive an older truck that cant be tracked with GPS and I have enough parts stocked for my vehicles to ensure they will last for another 25 years...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies