Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Funny how some peole here are now basically admitting that faudulent ID's are a big concern because they are EASY to get, but in the Obama BC threads, they act like it never happens.
LOL and the funny thing is the bad guys can get these "fake" ID's outside of the US before they even get here.

The terrorists are not coming here to GET ID's..they are already here WITH fake ID's.

But don't worry..the State Dept is doing all it can to protect YOU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL and the funny thing is the bad guys can get these "fake" ID's outside of the US before they even get here.

The terrorists are not coming here to GET ID's..they are already here WITH fake ID's.

But don't worry..the State Dept is doing all it can to protect YOU.
Where a person acquires the "questionable or false" ID isn't the issue. It could be completely illegal, or it could be one of these "quasi-legal" Mexican consulate documents. It could've been meticulously forged by Chinese spies, or Muslim terrorists, or the New York mafia. It really doesn't matter where the ID's come from.

Plus I know good and well that if the GOP had made this call, y'all would take it upon faith that it was for "national security" purposes. This new rule seems to be consistent with the same rules and regs that you find in the Patriot Act; it's the fact that Democrats did it that is drawing criticism.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:53 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
So you think the U.S. Department of State should issue passports to people with fraudulent ID's?

Because that's what this rule is about, stated clearly in black and white print.
Why is the government making travel so hard for legal non-criminal citizens? The point is that, for example, a 65 year old is not going to know all of the addresses where they lived in a lifetime nor are they going to know the telephone numbers and addresses of all of the supervisors they've had in a lifetime. You think they take that information into retirement? I've easily lived at more than 25 addresses, 3 of them before I was 7 years old, 5 before I was 18 and that was 1969. I have no freakin' idea of more than half of those addresses and there is no one older than me who would. As a 59 year old, who worked since she was 15 (actually I had a tutoring job when I was 14) I sure as heck don't know the name of the estimated 40 some odd supervisors I've had in my lifetime nevermind their telephone numbers and addresses. My mother's address a year prior to my birth? You have to be kidding me. Maybe some 20 year old could ask their mother but a 65 year old asking an 85 year old or dead relative? Any religious ceremony when I was born? Yeah, I remember that.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Where a person acquires the "questionable or false" ID isn't the issue. It could be completely illegal, or it could be one of these "quasi-legal" Mexican consulate documents. It could've been meticulously forged by Chinese spies, or Muslim terrorists, or the New York mafia. It really doesn't matter where the ID's come from.
If you read the article posted in thread #1, this is not about ID's but about the State Dept application form.

They want information going back one year before your birth with names, phone numbers and addresses including all jobs and religious ceremonies.

And the State Dept thinks everyone can do this in 45 minutes...ROFL.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,563 times
Quote:
So you think the U.S. Department of State should issue passports to people with fraudulent ID's?

Because that's what this rule is about, stated clearly in black and white print.

No. It is about more control over people. What was wrong with the existing rules? Why does the SD need new parameters. What was wrong with the existing ones?

Furthermore, the new proposals are random and not absolute which gives the government the opportunity to selectively apply to whomever they deem needs more investigationl.

Furthermore, the questions are silly. Even Obama wouldn't qualify for a passport if he applied as a citizen now would he?

Quote:
The U.S. Department of State is proposing a new Biographical Questionnaire for some passport applicants: The proposed new Form DS-5513 asks for all addresses since birth; lifetime employment history including employers’ and supervisors names, addresses, and telephone numbers; personal details of all siblings; mother’s address one year prior to your birth; any “religious ceremony” around the time of birth; and a variety of other information. According to the proposed form, “failure to provide the information requested may result in … the denial of your U.S. passport application.”
Try reading the full questionaire and see if Obama would qualify.
http://papersplease.org/wp/wp-conten...3-proposed.pdf

Last edited by brien51; 04-26-2011 at 09:06 AM..

Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Why is the government making travel so hard for legal non-criminal citizens?
They are not targeting legal, non-criminal citizens, although I have no doubt that some may get caught up in it.

Quote:
The point is that, for example, a 65 year old is not going to know all of the addresses where they lived in a lifetime nor are they g

---snip----

d ask their mother but a 65 year old asking an 85 year old or dead relative? Any religious ceremony when I was born? Yeah, I remember that.
Most of that doesn't matter, because like I said, people like you aren't the target.

However, say you get "audited" (that's basically what this is.. a personal identification audit). Technically the law simply calls on you to provide that information, it does not specify that you will be rejected if you omit some of the information, or get it wrong.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
No. It is about more control over people. What was wrong with the existing rules? Why does the SD need new parameters. What was wrong with the existing ones?
The existing ones were apparently letting people with fraudulent ID's obtain passports too easily. In my eyes this is nothing more than law enforcement.

Furthermore, gathering this information will make it much easier for the State Department to obtain the information they need to prosecute people who are here illegally.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
The existing ones were apparently letting people with fraudulent ID's obtain passports too easily. In my eyes this is nothing more than law enforcement.

Furthermore, gathering this information will make it much easier for the State Department to obtain the information they need to prosecute people who are here illegally.
What data backs up that point..that too many "non citizens" were getting US Passports ?

Is there data on this or someone's opinion ?

Old 04-26-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What data backs up that point..that too many "non citizens" were getting US Passports ?

Is there data on this or someone's opinion ?
No, I said it was "apparent".

It is apparent, by the fact that the state department issued a new regulation. If it wasn't a problem, they wouldn't have issued the regulation. Seems simple enough.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:12 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,563 times
There are citizens who came here after the Viet Nam war from Viet Nam. They have no birth records. They were destroyed long ago, if they even existed in the villages destroyed ion the war. Since they could even begin to answer the biographical questionaire, they could be held hopstage here in the US and be denied a passport.

Please, this is more control over citizens by a government that already has too much control over its population.

Did legislation passs this?

Or is this another end run around the legislative process to curb the rights of citizens to move freely about the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies