Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 PM

45,203 posts, read 26,417,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The National Labor Relations Act 1935.

Not in the Constitution and like I said, "overreach"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer2 View Post
You are not really expecting any of them to take the time and actually learn before spewing are you?
I may be an eternal optimist, but I am not a fool.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Disallowing card check preserves the secret ballot it does not prevent a vote to unionize. Why would unions need to know who voted against them...think on that one a bit. Thuggary perhaps?
Allowing or disallowing card checks isn't the issue at debate here but rather whether or not a state has a right to void federal law. If you want to start a thread about card check vs secret ballot, please feel free to start another thread.

One point however, thuggery is not the sole providence of unions.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,217,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

You Repubs bought yourselves a 5 to 4 Supreme Court and now want to undo hundreds of years of established law.

You are Fascists.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Being an eternal optimist, I had hope that the task wasn't going to be too difficult but apparently it was. So sad.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:39 PM

9,137 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Allowing or disallowing card checks isn't the issue at debate here but rather whether or not a state has a right to void federal law. If you want to start a thread about card check vs secret ballot, please feel free to start another thread.

One point however, thuggery is not the sole providence of unions.

Do you oppose secret ballot?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:47 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
See Article VI, Clause 2

Then go down to;

Article I Section 8 - Powers of Congres

Specifically

To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.

And when you finished with that wander over to;

The National Labor Relations Act 1935.

I know this is a lot to ask, but give it a try. With enough work you might figure it out.
You sure do come off acting like you know how the court will rule on this. Any particular reason you put yourself in such a precarious position?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
............One point however, thuggery is not the sole providence of unions.
Correct, this administration uses it too.

I must have missed it. When was card check passed into federal law? Link to bill passage please.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/...ard_check.html

Quote:
NLRB's actions are a naked attempt to protect Big Labor's favorite organizing tool -- card check -- which also is a key component of the widely unpopular and job-killing Employee Free Choice Act. Under a card check scheme, rather than voting by secret ballot, workers are forced to "choose" whether or not to join the union by signing or not signing a card in front of a union organizer and co-workers that support the union. Courts have said federal law favors secret ballot elections, but permits card check where an employer and union agree to one.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Do you oppose secret ballot?
Do I oppose the secret ballot... not in principle but neither do I oppose the right of workers to simply present documentation that the majority of workers wish to exercise their right to join together for the purposes of collective bargaining.

Now if you are a big advocate of secret elections then streamline the period between the presentation majority interest and the election, let's say 30 days instead allowing companies to delay such votes for period extending as much as 2 years during which all sorts of "thuggery" seem to take place.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:42 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Disallowing card check preserves the secret ballot it does not prevent a vote to unionize. Why would unions need to know who voted against them...think on that one a bit. Thuggary perhaps?
That's exactly why.

Vote against the union and see if your tires aren't slit and your car key-striped to look like an Impressionist painting by Monet.

Quote:
It's only law because unions used their money to bribe legislators for support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies