Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel now that Obama has released his long form birth certificate?
I WAS and birther, I am convinced and I am ready to move on. 4 2.22%
I am still a birther and will just look for something new to complain about. 6 3.33%
I was never really a birther but I will continue to aggitate because it is fun to watch. 16 8.89%
I was not a birther and I was already convinced. 154 85.56%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:25 PM

26,569 posts, read 14,444,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
You can clearly see from the certificate the age of the mother.
yes you can. what does the age of the mother have to do with citizenship to a person born in the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 03:26 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,210,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Let us help you out. Justice Black did no such thing. There is no definition of a Natural Born Citizen as requiring two US citizen parents. No court ruling. No legal citation. Nothing at all.
Review Duncan v Louisiana and then apologize.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
yes you can. what does the age of the mother have to do with citizenship to a person born in the US?
Plenty. It means he had dual citizenship as his father was a subject of the crown.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Plenty. It means he had dual citizenship as his father was a subject of the crown.
the age of his mother had nothing to do with his british citizenship.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
I read an article a while back about this, and the age was relevant according to US statues in effect at the time having to do with citizenship.

In any case, his father was subject to the laws of the UK, which make Obama a dual citizen and that bars "natural born citizen" status. It was the intent that nobody would become Presidient who was not strictly loyal or obliged only to the US.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
So you are intimately familiar with the British Nationality Act of 1948????

I didn't think so. Fair thee well.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
So you are intimately familiar with the British Nationality Act of 1948????
i've seen a few excerpts thrown out during the birther debates but nothing that would affect US citizenship for someone born in the US.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I read an article a while back about this, and the age was relevant according to US statues in effect at the time having to do with citizenship.
not for children born in the US. i think you are confusing it with the laws in 1961 pertaining to foreign birth with an underage US mother.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:37 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,103 times
Quote:
In any case, his father was subject to the laws of the UK, which make Obama a dual citizen and that bars "natural born citizen" status. It was the intent that nobody would become Presidient who was not strictly loyal or obliged only to the US.
Well, I read Justice Black's concurring opinion in Duncan v. Louisiana, a case I've read several times. I must admit I was a bit puzzled why you'd cite this case, because it's all about whether a defendant in a state criminal case is entitled to a jury trial. Black's concurrence has nothing to do with natural born citizenship. If I missed something in his opinion (or anywhere else in that case) please let me know.

Additionally, your argument that another country could pass a law that would bar natural born citizenship is one that would be one of the worst invasions of our sovereignty in our history. Are you really saying that because the UK passed a law concerning who they consider citizens, the effect of that law prevents us from considering somebody as eligible for the presidency?

Under the logic of your argument, Americans with grandfather and great-grandfathers from Italy are barred, since Italy consider those people to be Italian citizens. Under the logic of your argument, no Jews in the US are eligible, since Israel offers citizenship to all Jews in the world. Under the logic of your argument, if Kim Jong Il decreed that from now on, anybody born in the US is a North Korean citizen, then anybody born in the US would be barred from natural born citizen status.

You sure you don't want to rethink your argument before you put it out there that every country in the world has a veto over who we consider eligible for the presidency and vice presidency?

Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
i've seen a few excerpts thrown out during the birther debates but nothing that would affect US citizenship for someone born in the US.
Once again, it is US Citizenship that matters, but Natural Born Citizenship.

This is not really that hard to understand, but you have to want to understand it first. In other words, if you are not interested in the truth, you won't find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies