Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 12:18 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,213,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Chaplain is a generic term in the Army. There are Rabbis, Imans, Buddhists, anything you can think of. It all depends on the regiment though.

Besides, would a Atheist really be offended if a Priest told him "God bless you" before he is rushed off to face combat and possibly die ? No matter how you look at it, thats a comment saying "Good luck and dont die" more than anything else. Its religious but the point is the same for anyone of any religion - dont come back in a body bag.
Some would and it's absolutely inappropriate.
Why not just say good luck and don't die then?
I don't want a hateful group of people talking their hallucination, aka sky-daddy, on me.
I work in a military community and see the hatred of these c's a lot. It's an excluding group of hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Attempting to remove Chaplains from the army is telling people what to do in the army. There is no way around that fact, the US army is international today and its not like they can just go off base to a local Church in most cases.
No it's not. There are chaplains readily available on the outside. Who is trying to remove them, they're asking for non-denominational non-god-botherers to be in a counseling position. Yes, they can usually go off-base to worship. There are usually religious organizations off-base.

The Army includes bases in Christian hating nations such as Iraq, Afghanistan and Saudi Arabia. Saudi Arabia is the worst. By law Saudi Arabia does not allow Non-Muslim religious buildings to be built on their soil [only Mosques], US bases are considered US soil over there so thats a way around it.
So, please tell link to this movement to remove chaplains.

Remove Chaplains, and the Churches for all of our servicemen in the entire Middle east including Afghanistan are gone. Sure Iraq has some local Chaldean-Christian Churches, but they are almost extinct now due to rampant suicide bombings on them from their Muslim "Country men". And they likely would not be welcoming since they speak Aramaic anyways...
Here's an answer to the question, how about we just bring US citizens home from these countries.
Again, I ask, where was removal of all chaplains proposed?

So removing Chaplains is denying our soldiers their religious freedom. Being stuck in Saudi Arabia/Iraq/Afghanistan for years at a time and not being able to go to church because some Atheists back home bickered about it...That is pretty harsh, and its also a betrayal of them by their fellows Americans back home. Add in the hatred that Muslims in those countries have for their own Christian populations...and its evident that a Christan American soldier would have zero ability to see a Priest or Pastor for those years away from home. Thats oppressive to think about.
Again, I ask where this was proposed. There are lay people who could perform ceremonies. Are you saying that without a chaplain someone isn't able to honor their belief? Really, are they that weak that they must be led by others... Isn't there a separation of church and state in the US? Why are my tax dollars paying for preachers?

Luckily thats not the case, and I doubt it ever will be, if it ever does become the case...Then this country truely has problems.
The US has problems because the god-botherers won't let other people live in peace without them trying to force themselves into our lives, our reproduction and our laws.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,092,805 times
Quote:
Chaplain is a generic term in the Army. There are Rabbis, Imans, Buddhists, anything you can think of. It all depends on the regiment though.

Besides, would a Atheist really be offended if a Priest told him "God bless you" before he is rushed off to face combat and possibly die ? No matter how you look at it, thats a comment saying "Good luck and dont die" more than anything else. Its religious but the point is the same for anyone of any religion - dont come back in a body bag.
I really have no idea what your post has to do with the post of mine you quoted (???)

Your: """"There are Rabbis, Imans, Buddhists, anything you can think of."""

except atheists....

Your: ""would a Atheist really be offended if a Priest told him "God bless you" before he is rushed off to face combat and possibly die ? No matter how you look at it, thats a comment saying "Good luck and dont die"

Yes, why wouldn't they be, it shows a total lack of acknowledgement of them as individual humans... sounds like a religious person shoving god down someone's throat even as they are about to die...

A chaplain could just say, Good luck.

But if a chaplain insists on denying the individuality of the troops and still HAS to say God bless you, the atheist could reply, "May Allah be with YOU, Allah be praised" How's it feel.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:55 AM

4,434 posts, read 6,958,419 times
i not american but I seeno problem with that as after all they have wicca chaplins as well

Old 04-29-2011, 06:31 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,687,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I can hear heads exploding!
Did you know chaplains are allowed to spew hatred and are exempt from some parts of the DADT rescission. They don't have to tell anyone that it's not appropriate to hate or commit crimes against gays.
I absouluty cannot believe the garbage the spews from some peoples fingertips!!!! Care to back up your claims? or do you just like to spew hatred about Christians and the the Chaplin Corps????

P.S. I'm still praying for you!!! God will be there when you need him!!!!!!!

Old 04-29-2011, 06:57 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,248,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
I absouluty cannot believe the garbage the spews from some peoples fingertips!!!! Care to back up your claims? or do you just like to spew hatred about Christians and the the Chaplin Corps????

Your prayers are garbage spewing forth from your ignorance, and in this case, your hate as well I imagine.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post

So you choose to post like a jerk.
See even on the internet, you try to force your belief in a sky-daddy on others.
Extremely typical.

No hatred, just facts.

http://www.army.mil/-news/2011/04/12...ing-effective/
Chaplains will continue to have the right to teach in accordance to the dictates of their faith, Birch said, adding that they will also continue to counsel Soldiers of all beliefs, no matter their sexuality.

"Our chaplains are really firmly committed," Birch said. "It's a calling."

And a lot of "dictates of faith" seem to be hatred and intolerance.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_812131.html
For an article on a real man of god. Huah.

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/conten...-gay-exorcisms
Yesterday, David Pakman had Klingenschmitt on his program to discuss the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, which Klingenschmitt opposes because military chaplains will no longer be able to perform exorcisms of gay soldiers:
You really ought to see the videos at the link.

http://apriestlife.blogspot.com/2011...s-will-be.html

The news item in The Washington Times, "Military indoctrinated on gays kissing, behavior", addresses the effect on chaplain exercise of religious freedom:

"The main slide presentations emphasize that chaplains will be free to express their views on homosexuality.

“ 'Free exercise of religious expression, with law and policy, remains unchanged,' says one Army slide."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...d-of-dont-ask/
The main slide presentations emphasize that chaplains will be free to express their views on homosexuality.

“Free exercise of religious expression, with law and policy, remains unchanged,” says one Army slide.

Last edited by chielgirl; 04-29-2011 at 07:46 AM..

Old 04-29-2011, 08:44 AM

3,494 posts, read 4,536,828 times
Every individual has emotional needs. The military does require personnel to cater to every individual's emotional need due to the stresses of military service. Religious beliefs do require attendance to their emotional needs based on religion. Atheist also have their particula type of emotional needs based on their beliefs.

With this in mind the services do provide emotional support for all individuals according to their needs.

Religious people have their chaplains and atheist have counselors.

Both have the services of mental health providers also.

So what is the issue. Are atheist not having their emotional needs covered?

I served 32 years in the Army and I have religious and atheist Soldiers under my care. All were able to have emotional and mental assistance.

What other special service does an atheist want? Take care.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:38 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,624,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Every individual has emotional needs. The military does require personnel to cater to every individual's emotional need due to the stresses of military service. Religious beliefs do require attendance to their emotional needs based on religion. Atheist also have their particula type of emotional needs based on their beliefs.

With this in mind the services do provide emotional support for all individuals according to their needs.

Religious people have their chaplains and atheist have counselors.

Both have the services of mental health providers also.

So what is the issue. Are atheist not having their emotional needs covered?

I served 32 years in the Army and I have religious and atheist Soldiers under my care. All were able to have emotional and mental assistance.

What other special service does an atheist want? Take care.
There will always be a few who want more. It may not even be service members doing the grumbling.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:39 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,146,512 times
Could be that some in the military view atheism as a threat...what can be easier than convincing a christian that killing others (unlike themselves) is justified?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies