Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Plenty of stories about the mom&pops closing because they could not compete.
They closed because people could travel a short trip to a Walmart/Target and got much more for their dollar. These small stores, like IGA, were ripoffs. They charged hefty upcharges because they were local. Walk into a 7-11 or a Bodega then you would understand the prices that were charged. Thanks to big box retailers the pricing in smaller towns have dropped to the point where there is little to no savings to drive out of town. Thus no reason to head to Walmart/Target. And this is just for food markets. The same can be said for local hardware stores when a Lowes/Home Depot was built within a short distance.

But wait Walmart is going to feel more pain. Since now there are food retailers on the internet who charge comparable prices and above a certain limit ($50-$100) have free shipping. I currently have numerous food goods shipped to me from over 400 miles away and show up packed in dry ice.

BTW I haven't been in a Walmart in years due to the fact their prices are not worth the troubles. Now give me a Publix and I'll travel there without question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So if Walmart decides to close up shop in that area for any number of reasons, you're leaving too?
Uh, I don't mean to be offensive, but do you have a reading disability? "I live where I live because I love the area." A direct quote from the post you are referencing.

Old 04-28-2011, 03:43 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
They closed because people could travel a short trip to a Walmart/Target and got much more for their dollar. These small stores, like IGA, were ripoffs. They charged hefty upcharges because they were local.
Ok...but by that same token, what incentive does Walmart have to stay cheap if all of their competitors have been ran out of business?

And when they have no local competition within a fairly large mile radius, how does one know that they're still cheap?

Old 04-28-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Uh, I don't mean to be offensive, but do you have a reading disability? "I live where I live because I love the area." A direct quote from the post you are referencing.
Look...i'll ignore the smartass comments. Just answer the question.

You say that Walmart is making your life so easy....and going on as if you simply couldn't do without their cheap prices and hard to obtain products.

So if Walmart leaves, will you leave? I don't care about whether or not you love the area because i presume that most people live in places because they like living there.

It's a fair question.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look...i'll ignore the smartass comments. Just answer the question.

You say that Walmart is making your life so easy....and going on as if you simply couldn't do without their cheap prices and hard to obtain products.

So if Walmart leaves, will you leave? I don't care about whether or not you love the area because i presume that most people live in places because they like living there.

It's a fair question.
The reason I said I don't want to offend you is because I don't. But I never said "Wal-Mart makes my life so easy." I answered your question. I live where I live because I love the area. It's a rural area. The lack of retail choices can be frustrating. Wal-Mart makes it less frustrating. If Wal-Mart left the area then the lack of retail choices would be frustrating. And I would still live where I live because I love the area. That's the fourth time I've typed that. It's seems very curious to me that you don't care whether I love the area where I live, but presume that most people like where they live. Do you really think the presence of a STORE impacts how much I enjoy where I live? Does Wal-Mart have any impact on the lakes and rivers around me? Does Wal-Mart have anything to do with hiking trails and beautiful scenery? Does Wal-Mart create the mountains and bluffs? Does Wal-Mart manufacture people of genuine warmth and creativity? Did Wal-Mart plant the wild blackberries that are blooming alongside the area dirt roads? I live where I live because I love the area. I could live anywhere. I choose to live here.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:12 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
They grew their own food. They ordered from the Sears catalog. They rigged repairs out of whatever was handy. They made do. The one and only grocery store nearby ripped them off on products they had to purchase there. They were the people you made fun of because they didn't know what a mango was, because they couldn't get coriander at the local grocery store, because their clothes didn't fit well.
Come on, now. Where I lived, before there was a WalMart, people just bought stuff somewhere else. I mean, it's not like it's the only game in town. They don't only build WalMarts in Laura Ingalls Wilder novels.

When I still lived in Chicago, there was no WalMart and I paid LESS for groceries. A lot less.

Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
The reason I said I don't want to offend you is because I don't. But I never said "Wal-Mart makes my life so easy." I answered your question. I live where I live because I love the area. It's a rural area. The lack of retail choices can be frustrating. Wal-Mart makes it less frustrating. If Wal-Mart left the area then the lack of retail choices would be frustrating. And I would still live where I live because I love the area. That's the fourth time I've typed that. It's seems very curious to me that you don't care whether I love the area where I live, but presume that most people like where they live. Do you really think the presence of a STORE impacts how much I enjoy where I live? Does Wal-Mart have any impact on the lakes and rivers around me? Does Wal-Mart have anything to do with hiking trails and beautiful scenery? Does Wal-Mart create the mountains and bluffs? Does Wal-Mart manufacture people of genuine warmth and creativity? Did Wal-Mart plant the wild blackberries that are blooming alongside the area dirt roads? I live where I live because I love the area. I could live anywhere. I choose to live here.
Everyone lives where they live because they want to live there (unless they're small children). Last i remember, Americans can pick their municipality of choice. That's not to belittle what you're saying, but that's not a big deal to me....that you live where you live because you love it. I presume ALL people love where they live unless they tell me otherwise.

But now you're seemingly trying to mitigate what you're saying about the impact of Walmart on your life. If not having Walmart is "frustrating," then how is it a stretch for me to say that Walmart has in fact made your life easier?

Pleeeeze....as much as Americans love to shop, OF COURSE millions of Americans make their residential choices based upon retail opportunities! C'mon...i didn't just arrive in this country last week. I'm not a shopper, but i'd NEVER in a million years live in a place where the things i love are hard to obtain. Life is too short. But if you feel differently, that's fine....who am i to judge? In the same vein, if you're saying that you'd still live where you live even without Walmart being there, then i can only ascertain that you don't really need Walmart, but it IS a convenience to have it there at your disposal.

But my overriding point is that if there is no other retailer within a reasonable driving distance other than Walmart, then i simply don't know how you can claim that they are cheap. I just don't see it. A comparison to a local grocer is NOT a fair comparison and you know it. You know damn well that a local grocer can't possibly have the purchasing power of Walmart. And more importantly, the question remains: If Walmart runs their competitors out of business, what incentive do they have to remain cheap (if they were ever cheap in the first place).

Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post

But wait Walmart is going to feel more pain. Since now there are food retailers on the internet who charge comparable prices and above a certain limit ($50-$100) have free shipping. I currently have numerous food goods shipped to me from over 400 miles away and show up packed in dry ice.
What online retailers?
That would be interesting if they had some good products.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Ok...but by that same token, what incentive does Walmart have to stay cheap if all of their competitors have been ran out of business?
What usually happens after the over-priced competitors are gone is that new competitors show up in their places. In my rural area we lost IGA and gained Food Lion & Kroger. (If you're old enough remember Little House on the Prarie - The country store owners lived much higher than most of the local community residents).

Quote:
And when they have no local competition within a fairly large mile radius, how does one know that they're still cheap?
Ummmm. I think numerous people have access to the internet now. I didn't say Walmart was cheap. What they did do was bring down prices to a more acceptable range.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
What online retailers?
That would be interesting if they had some good products.
It depends what you are looking for. But for example google markets in NYC. You can do your whole shop on line and many have free delivery.

My preference is Whole Foods quality for less ( no driving, no filling a cart, no lines). There are numerous family owned businesses in Upstate NY that have websites. The food is shipped 2nd day morning delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies