Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 11:19 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,695,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, then I guess I should hate every Republican-leaning state! And how is this being "shoved down your throat," anyway? It's only being proposed in San Francisco, and probably won't even pass... so don't worry, this isn't going to enter your throat anytime soon. Gawd, that sounded really dirty - what is it with conservatives and that analogy?
Go for it. I'm neither a Democrat or a Republican. I'm Independent. In fact, screw both of these parties anyway because they have ruined the America I grew up knowing.

Last edited by TimC2462; 05-01-2011 at 11:30 PM..

Old 05-01-2011, 11:25 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,314,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Funny because all the Jews I know in SF ( and there are many) came from NY and Chicago. SF has nothing against religious ceremonies but many incorrectly think it harms a child.
The doctors should use a cocaine wrap before the snip.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:29 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,106,871 times
Cleaner and much better looking!

Old 05-02-2011, 12:48 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Go for it. I'm neither a Democrat or a Republican. I'm Independent. In fact, screw both of these parties anyway because they have ruined the America I grew up knowing.
I don't care what YOU are, and I'm an independent (liberal-leaning) too... I'm just pointing out the stupidity of "hating" an entire state/region. So silly.

Old 05-02-2011, 12:51 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Funny because all the Jews I know in SF ( and there are many) came from NY and Chicago.
I was born in Maryland (as were my siblings), my father is from NY, and mother is from Philadelphia. I do have a few California-born Jewish friends, but the majority - particularly of those over 40 - are not originally Californian.

That being said, I doubt local Judaism had much (if anything) to do with this current issue. Considering most American parents choose circumcision, I don't take it as a personal/religious attack at all... and this coming from a practicing San Francisco Jew. You will probably hear the most protesting from us, but the proposal was not intended to target religion.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:05 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
clarification of what I said earlier SF is a city that most likley has the least Orthodox jews (under a orthodox definition (some people count just going to an orthodox synagogue even if they don't do anything else) per Jewish capita in the United States.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:
SF has nothing against religious ceremonies but many incorrectly think it harms a child.
If you believe that I suppose you would have believed the same Nonsense when the Soviet's did the same thing after all the Soviet Union had freedom of worship (not religion) so they couldn't be anti religious ceremonies. This is law if passed would be the most Anti Semitic law in the United States history. In addition SF already has a repuation for being one of the most "New antisemitic" city is the whole country so why would I be shocked if they throw in little old antisemitism going back at least to the Seleucid Greeks.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:37 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
If you believe that I suppose you would have believed the same Nonsense when the Soviet's did the same thing after all the Soviet Union had freedom of worship (not religion) so they couldn't be anti religious ceremonies. This is law if passed would be the most Anti Semitic law in the United States history. In addition SF already has a repuation for being one of the most "New antisemitic" city is the whole country so why would I be shocked if they throw in little old antisemitism going back at least to the Seleucid Greeks.
Oh really? And just who decided SF is a new antisemitic city and why havent my Jewish friends heard about this? I would think they would be leaving in droves. Please provide links to the study or poll or valid article that came to his conclusion, unless it is just in your head. SF also outlawed toys in a happy meal. Are they bigoted against fat people as well? Or are they trying to protect children even if we don't all agree with it. I understand the resentment for them attempting to dictate a persons preference but to say it is anti semitic is crazy. My boys are circed and we are not Jewish. So your claim of it being against any1 religion is nullified right there.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:39 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
clarification of what I said earlier SF is a city that most likley has the least Orthodox jews (under a orthodox definition (some people count just going to an orthodox synagogue even if they don't do anything else) per Jewish capita in the United States.
Really? Less than Huntsville AL? Less than Memphis? Where is that link?

Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Oh really? And just who decided SF is a new antisemitic city and why havent my Jewish friends heard about this?
do you know what the term "New Antisemitism" means?

Quote:
Really? Less than Huntsville AL? Less than Memphis? Where is that link?
do you know anything about those Jewish communities?

from History of Orthodox Congregations
"Memphis’s Jewish community has among the largest Orthodox population per capita of any southern city. In most other cities, many Orthodox congregations founded over a century ago have long since closed or moved away from traditional Judaism. In 1941, Memphis had four congregations that belonged to the Union of Orthodox Congregations of America. Today, Memphis has managed to maintain two significantly sized Orthodox synagogues, including one that boasts of being the largest Orthodox congregation in the United States."

for goodness sake the only Orthodox school in SF is an outreach school and advertises it's self as the only place you can be guaranteed a minyan during the week.

your right their are probably a higher percentage of Orthodox jews out of the total number of jews in SF then Huntsville, but I wasn't counting Huntsville because according to the federation their are only 750 Jews in Huntsville SF has 50,000+ with 210,000+ in the Bay area.

Last edited by NY Jew; 05-02-2011 at 01:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies