Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:06 AM

131 posts, read 172,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
You miss the most important point: simple respect. The president accurately says he is black. He should be considered so.

Tiger Woods just as accurately says he is of mixed race. He should be considered so also.

However, disrespectful people want to make political hay out of the random circumstance of a person's birth.
you make a valid point,

However; The op stated "it was society perception" why Barack Obama is considered black.. [if i read it right, correct me if I'm wrong]

So i gave a different scenario.

What happen if he married a white woman, and had two light fair children.
That perception will diminish because people will identify him as white...

He wouldn't be "black" in African American standards in my opinion neither.
because they wouldn't be able to agree with him
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
A person has to earn respect. Obama has not earned that at all. Tiger lost respect for his idiocy also.
Any person deserves the respect of being addressed by what the person says is his or her name. The same goes for how the person identifies himself or herself. This does not have to be earned.

This issue reflects badly on the manners of the accusers.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:08 AM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Barack Obama is half white...fact. End of story. Stupid race card playing thread is stupid race card playing thread.

I hereby name them the "Racers".

Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I mainly hear this from white people they somehow feel they'll be left out when President Obama is referred to as being black.

PERCEPTION IS REALITY people.......

Here's what I mean........

Let's say Obama was a "regular" UNKNOWN blue collar guy...a plumber, if you will.

FYI-Admitting this is a fact, does not make you a bad person!

Blosip would call him a TWIRL.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:16 AM

131 posts, read 172,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I don't agree. I do believe the President has earned respect, he has mine. I don't agree with John McCain but, I have respect for the man.
President Obama chose the path of education and made something of his life. There are an awful lot of us (People in general) that haven't always made the best choices for our lives. It's easy to throw stones.
I have to agree with you too. The Sarah Palin ticket was not doing it for me. McCain pretty much lost me when he picked her. But i still have respect for her and him as well.

He has done what few blacks males have done, graduated from Harvard at the top of his class. His educational achievements are phenomenal. I'm just sorry, that is over shadowed by his presidency.

He has my respect, even though I do not like him either.

Old 05-05-2011, 04:04 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,034 times
BenJamin Jealous from the NAACP is also Biracial and he physically looks even less Black than Obama. Yet people in the media still refer to Benjamin Jealous as being Black even though he is even lighter than Obama.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:29 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,608,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Exactly. I am not agreeing that the one-drop rule should be followed, but merely observed that most people today do still follow it. My post was in direct response to the posters who claimed the one-drop rule is obsolete. It is not obsolete because while it's no longer on the books, it is still very much real in the minds of many.
Very true, they're called old people But seriously I'm in my twenties and speaking for myself I don't believe in that one drop rule. If you're bi-racial then you're just that. It's interesting how in the old days the one drop rule applied because white people felt bi-racial people were "tainted and "impure" but nowadays the feeling is opposite (at least with younger people). I for one kinda find it sad for someone to not acknowledge all of their background and heritage.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:38 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,212,862 times
WOW! ! !

I didn't get to see is driver's license or... you know... long form. I thought he was Hawaiian. Or Indonesian. Or something South Pacifican.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
Quote:
I mainly hear this from white people they somehow feel they'll be left out when President Obama is referred to as being black.

Let's say Obama was a "regular" UNKNOWN blue collar guy...a plumber, if you will.

On one beautiful morning, he was running late to one of his clients......therefore he decided to surpass the speed limit of 35mph and push it to 50 mph.

Well, considering he's breaking the law, he gets pulled over by a police officer. The officer pulls Obama The plumber over.......upon approaching the plumbing truck, the officer will notice his race( as a profiling method. No problems there). What do you think the officer that's pulling Obama the plumber over will say his race is........"half white" or will he/she say "black". It does not matter what race the officer is.

MOST of us will clearly say Obama is black. Even Obama understands that.

What kills me is some of you that are saying he's half white will not be saying that if he runs the country into the ground.....you'll without a doubt say he's black.

It's ok, I understand there are LOTS of whites that cannot believe he's in office. But deal with it until the next election.

Blacks have personal issues they need to deal with but white folks........gee-whiz, you guys really have issues. Especially when it comes to race.

Carry on.......

They say he's 1/2 White to empower themselves. They just can't stand the fact that a Black man is President. Afterall, this is one of the most racists counties in the world. Always has been.

Hey, you do know why America was the first to put a man on the moon, don't you?

They heard there was an Indian up there with 10 acres.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,885,578 times
Quote:

On one beautiful morning, he was running late to one of his clients......therefore he decided to surpass the speed limit of 35mph and push it to 50 mph.

Well, considering he's breaking the law, he gets pulled over by a police officer. The officer pulls Obama The plumber over.......upon approaching the plumbing truck, the officer will notice his race( as a profiling method. No problems there). What do you think the officer that's pulling Obama the plumber over will say his race is........"half white" or will he/she say "black". It does not matter what race the officer is.

MOST of us will clearly say Obama is black. Even Obama understands that.

What kills me is some of you that are saying he's half white will not be saying that if he runs the country into the ground.....you'll without a doubt say he's black.

It's ok, I understand there are LOTS of whites that cannot believe he's in office. But deal with it until the next election.

Blacks have personal issues they need to deal with but white folks........gee-whiz, you guys really have issues. Especially when it comes to race.

Carry on.......

You have a problem with the facts, do you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies