Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:40 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,883,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I hereby name them the "Racers".

Hahahahaaaa! On the fast track to nowhere!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 09:48 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,176,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess.Johnson View Post
What happen if he married a white woman, and had two light fair children.
That perception will diminish because people will identify him as white...
Wrong, actually. Have you ever seen a picture of black activist Adam Clayton Powell or former NAACP executive director Walter White?

Walter White (pictured above) was considered black.

The president's former alderman is a woman with one black parent. She married a white man so her son has three white grandparents and one black.

Her son (who is very fair) considers himself black and people around him consider him black. I take this for granted because the tattoo on his arm states: "Black Power".

Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,031,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I mainly hear this from white people they somehow feel they'll be left out when President Obama is referred to as being black.

PERCEPTION IS REALITY people.......

Here's what I mean........

Let's say Obama was a "regular" UNKNOWN blue collar guy...a plumber, if you will.

On one beautiful morning, he was running late to one of his clients......therefore he decided to surpass the speed limit of 35mph and push it to 50 mph.

Well, considering he's breaking the law, he gets pulled over by a police officer. The officer pulls Obama The plumber over.......upon approaching the plumbing truck, the officer will notice his race( as a profiling method. No problems there). What do you think the officer that's pulling Obama the plumber over will say his race is........"half white" or will he/she say "black". It does not matter what race the officer is.

MOST of us will clearly say Obama is black. Even Obama understands that.

What kills me is some of you that are saying he's half white will not be saying that if he runs the country into the ground.....you'll without a doubt say he's black.

It's ok, I understand there are LOTS of whites that cannot believe he's in office. But deal with it until the next election.

Blacks have personal issues they need to deal with but white folks........gee-whiz, you guys really have issues. Especially when it comes to race.

Carry on.......

FYI-Admitting this is a fact, does not make you a bad person!
Actually, I find the "race grab" thing kind of interesting and kind of sad too. Obama hits a home run and some whites jump on board and say that he is half white. Obama hits a home run and some blacks think that consitutes some kind of racial bragging rights. From either angle it's a slippery, and unfortunate slope. I wish everyone just saw Obama as the President without any race attached. I think Obama would want that too.

Old 05-07-2011, 01:26 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,858,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Afterall, this is one of the most racists counties in the world. Always has been.
LOL....ohh,you were actually serious....

Old 05-08-2011, 03:55 AM

22 posts, read 37,297 times
Apparently when a person is biracial (white and black) they are automatically looked upon in society as Black. Doesn't make any sense to me. That's ignoring the other half of the person heritage.

Quote:
I mainly hear this from white people they somehow feel they'll be left out when President Obama is referred to as being black.
Ron, get real. His mother is white an his father is black and that's pretty much makes him biracial.

Quote:
It's ok, I understand there are LOTS of whites that cannot believe he's in office. But deal with it until the next election.
You do know that if it wasn't for the white vote he wouldn't have been elected. You do know that don't you?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:55 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,454,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obama didn't grow up much in the USA, his social and cultural identity would mostly like have been from Indonesia where he spent his formative years.

He wasn't raised in the Black American society, he has no slave roots, unlike Alan Keyes - I wonder if you voted for Alan Keyes. Obama barely knew his Kenyan family, his white mother's Indonesian boyfriend was more a role model than the father he never saw.

Yes others might look at his skin tone and some features and see black and just lump him in like they do and never see anything beyond skin tone. Obama's upbringing though is why he cares so little about the American unemployed, the American way of life. He is more a globalist who identifies with no people. It goes deeper than skin color.
We can guess at how black he feels, but ultimately, only he knows how black he is because it's based on how he sees himself in the world and identifies. In terms of unspoken societal laws, though, he's black. How many other presidents have been photographed shirtless? He's obviously being treated different socially from our white presidents.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:07 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,454,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony21 View Post
Ron, get real. His mother is white an his father is black and that's pretty much makes him biracial.
There are multiple levels of reality. Genetics is only one of them. Most white-looking people aren't genetically European. I have a group of friends who got their DNA tested to trace their ancestry back 500 years. The one with blonde hair, white skin and blue eyes has an ancestry that goes back to India. The one with dark brown hair, blue eyes, and also very pale skin, traces back to Saudi Arabia. The one with olive skin, green eyes, and black curly hair traces back to Central Europe. The one whose parents came from Ireland, when traced back far enough, comes from North Africa. They all identify as white, check the "Caucasian" box on forms, and are viewed by others as white. But with the exception of one of them, their ancestry is hardly what we would call European.

Obviously there is something more to race than genetics.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:04 PM

22 posts, read 37,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
There are multiple levels of reality. Genetics is only one of them. Most white-looking people aren't genetically European. I have a group of friends who got their DNA tested to trace their ancestry back 500 years. The one with blonde hair, white skin and blue eyes has an ancestry that goes back to India. The one with dark brown hair, blue eyes, and also very pale skin, traces back to Saudi Arabia. The one with olive skin, green eyes, and black curly hair traces back to Central Europe. The one whose parents came from Ireland, when traced back far enough, comes from North Africa. They all identify as white, check the "Caucasian" box on forms, and are viewed by others as white. But with the exception of one of them, their ancestry is hardly what we would call European.

Obviously there is something more to race than genetics.
Interesting.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:12 PM

27,095 posts, read 15,289,002 times
Quote:
We can guess at how black he feels, but ultimately, only he knows how black he is because it's based on how he sees himself in the world and identifies. In terms of unspoken societal laws, though, he's black. How many other presidents have been photographed shirtless? He's obviously being treated different socially from our white presidents.

I seem to recall Kennedy;

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n57/darrivex/JFK/sexy.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-08-2011, 04:34 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,385,613 times
Quote:
How many other presidents have been photographed shirtless? He's obviously being treated different socially from our white presidents.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies