Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times

Advertisements

This might be of interest to folks here: Lesbian & Gay Parenting: Theoretical & Conceptual Examinations Related to Lesbian & Gay Parenting If someone already provided this link, sorry -- again, I'm not going to read through 11 pages of postings.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,191 times
Quote:
the following states for already legalizing gay marriage with little controversy, over the past decade:
  • Massachusetts
  • Connecticut
  • New Hampshire
  • Vermont
  • Iowa
  • District of Columbia
Thank God Iowa will most likely be off this list by 2015 and possibly even 2013

Old 05-04-2011, 09:04 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
NY Jew, some of us think you and other fundies of whatever religion are ****ed. I agree completely with the Reform approach, while you are obviously a proponent of an archaic pile of superstition not unlike similar Christian and Muslim fundie sects.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:38 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Gay marriage is becoming, or has become legal in many countries, eventually the US will catch up and stop this discrimination. Gay marriage hurts no one, laws are meant to protect people from dangers, not to push other's religious beliefs on everyone, it's time for equality, and it will happen in time. Every person should have the right to marry whomever they want, no matter what gender they are.

We have freedom of religion, churches will never be forced to perform any marriages that they don't want to, there is no reason for banning gay marriage, people should mind their own business, and stay out of things that don't hurt, or even have any effect on them. No one would ever want to lose their religious freedoms, and be told they can't live by their own beliefs, I don't know how people can justify trying to remove other people's freedoms just because they don't agree with them. I find that appalling.

There are many places that have refused to discriminate, hopefully the US will join them soon.

Legal recognition of same-sex relationships Marriage
Argentina
Belgium
Canada
Iceland
Netherlands

Norway
Portugal
South Africa
Spain
Sweden

Performed in some jurisdictions
Mexico: Mexico City
United States: CT, DC, IA, MA, NH, VT, Coquille

Recognized, not performed
Aruba (Netherlands only)
Curaçao (Netherlands only)
Israel
Mexico: all states (Mexico City only)
Sint Maarten (Netherlands only)
United States: CA (conditional), MD, NY

Civil unions and registered partnerships
Andorra
Austria
Colombia
Czech Republic
Denmark
Ecuador
Finland
France
- New Caledonia
- Wallis and Futuna
Germany

Greenland
Hungary
Ireland
Isle of Man
Luxembourg
New Zealand
Slovenia
Switzerland
United Kingdom
Uruguay

Performed in some jurisdictions
Australia: ACT, NSW, TAS, VIC
Mexico: COA
United States: CA, CO, HI, IL, ME, NJ, NV, OR, WA, WI
Venezuela: ME

Last edited by detshen; 05-04-2011 at 10:01 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
NY Jew, some of us think you and other fundies of whatever religion are ****ed. I agree completely with the Reform approach, while you are obviously a proponent of an archaic pile of superstition not unlike similar Christian and Muslim fundie sects.
mistranslating what any average Orthodox high schooler not only knows is wrong (that would be 4th grade tops) but could easily disprove. The only reason how they get away with it is because most reform Jews can't understand even basic hebrew.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Recognized, not performed
Aruba (Netherlands only)
Curaçao (Netherlands only)
Israel
Israel will most likely be off this list in the future do to the fact that the Jewish
Quote:
fundies
are the fastest growing group followed by the Muslim
Quote:
fundies
(they have a vote in the Knesset) and the fastest shrinking group meretz/labor (the parties that are the most pro so called gay rights) both for political reasons (the piece (not a misspelling) process) and they forgot how to have children.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:17 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes- that is between human males and females of different races. That is good sense and is actually a restoration of cultural norms.

I have nothing against homosexuals, however, by definition, their behavior is aberrant and does not conform to cultural norms. Gay marriage proponants are attempting to CHANGE thousands of years of cultural norms and enforce thier personal views on the majority of the population.

When a society not only embraces, but fully legally endorses aberrant behavior, the society itself suffers. Similarly, while I personally have nothing against heroin addicts and cocaine users (who are only damaging themselves), I do not want the legal system to endorse and sanctify their behavior. I certainly do not want the cultural norm established for my kids that heroine and cocaine use are acceptable, nor do I want such addicts as my neighbors. But whatever they want to do in the privacy of their house is okay- just don't attempt to force the rest of society to accept your personal views.

Likewise the ceremony of marriage is in most instances is more of a religious ceremony than a legal one. While one can certainly marry outside a church, the legal endorsement of gay marriage brings those views into a congregation which may not accept it as the norm. Essentially, it is disrupting a religious congregation in the same way the Baptist protesters disrupt the funerals of veterans. It is the imposition of one's personal views upon others in a private and personal environment- the church.

Lastly, marriages between men and women have been established over thousands of years to provide a safe area in which children can be raised, developed, and pass on favorable genes and behavioral traits. Gay marriage, by definition, eliminates the procreation and provision of an environment in which to raise the next generation. In essence, it is cultural suicide. Had all the great civilizations of the past embraced gay marriage,they would have been very short lived.
Comparing the use of dangerous drugs to a loving relationship between two people is ridiculous. Drugs often end up killing the users, and legally condoning heroin or cocaine use could lead to more widespread use of these very dangerous, addictive chemicals that often end up killing addicted users. Gay marriage hurts no one, it's not dangerous, or tempting to heterosexual people, legally condoning it will have no effect on people who are not gay.

No church is required to marry anyone, freedom of religion allows them to place rules, and conditions on whom they will marry, no church will be required to marry a gay couple if that goes against their beliefs. No one will be forcing their views about gay marriage onto churches, churches will always be able to decide for themselves whether they wish to condone gay marriage or not. On the other hand, banning gay marriage actually does force the personal views of some people onto churches that choose to perform, and accept gay marriages, this violates their freedom of religion.

Marriage has many reasons besides procreation, marriage doesn't end after the kids are grown, or if a couple is infertile. Marriage is about companionship, and a commitment to one person for lifetime no matter what happens, in sickness and health, for richer for poorer... Legalizing same sex marriage will not stop people from having children, it will have no effect whatsoever on heterosexual couples ability to have and raise children. Gay people can adopt, or have children through various means, and they should have the option to raise those children in a legally recognized marriage, that is good for society. There is no cultural suicide, gay marriage has no effect on heterosexual marriage, or the ability to have children, many gay people are already married(it's just not legally recognized in most cases) and it has no effect on anyone else. Having more loving committed relationships does not hurt society, creating more stable loving marriages can only benefit society.

No one who approves of legalizing gay marriage is trying to force their personal views on anyone, no one will ever be required to marry someone of the same sex, no one will be required to like gay people, or approve of same sex marriage, people are free to think whatever they want. People are simply required to mind their own business, and let other people marry the person of their own choosing. You, and others who want to ban same sex marriage are the ones who are trying to impose their views on others.

Last edited by detshen; 05-05-2011 at 02:16 AM..

Old 05-05-2011, 02:10 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Gay marriage, by definition, eliminates the procreation and provision of an environment in which to raise the next generation. In essence, it is cultural suicide. Had all the great civilizations of the past embraced gay marriage,they would have been very short lived.
Oh, brother.

It sounds like you believe that same-sex marriage will lead to everyone becoming homosexual. Let me reassure you: It ain't gonna happen. There's no need to worry about American society dying off because of same-sex marriage.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:46 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
LMAO Rave on, JayMax. I am becoming increasingly amused by it all...

You are only confirming what is probably becoming quite obvious to many, even if they might otherwise agree with your basic outlook:

That is, if the source backs your opinion/ideology, then it is legitimate and true. If it counters it? Then it is tainted and biased.

l....
No, that's not what I am saying at all.
You seem to think that all opinions are equal ,and are just "alternative" views, and that I am insisting that my view is the only "correct" one.
All I am saying is that the groups you have linked to, to support your views, have lied in their opinion pieces about the studies they claim support their extremist anti-gay views- when they don't support them at all.

On one hand, there are 100's of thousands of qualified health professionals basing their statements on evidence from 40 years and more of studies- studies published in reputable peer-reviewed science journals.

On the other hand, there are small fringe groups of people who have a religious bias against homosexuality; who haven't done any studies themselves, but lie about and misuse studies to support their agenda against gay people.

The methods these religious based groups use to vilify gay people have been exposed over and over again. They outright lie about actual studies to fit their agenda.

This is a fact. It is not a "view". It can be easily verified by anyone who bothers to read the actual studies they cite.

There are a number of researchers who have complained that these anti-gay groups (mis)cite their studies to try to support their homophobic views. .

An example of this 'smear and fear' method, is to use a small european study about young single gay men who frequented inner city gay clubs in the 1980's (pre HIV). The study itself excludedanyone who was in a relationship. These anti-gay groups then misrepresent this study to say that ALL gay people are promiscous and don't have stable relationships.

Imagine if there was a study of young straight single men who considered themselves 'players' and who frequented pick-up bars looking for girls to have sex with. Then I used this study to say that ALL straight people (young, old, male, female, married or not) are promiscous and don't have commited relationships.

Get the drift? It's not about "alternative" views - it's about lying about studies for propaganda purposes.

Last edited by Ceist; 05-06-2011 at 09:04 AM..

Old 05-06-2011, 08:57 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,377,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Comparing the use of dangerous drugs to a loving relationship between two people is ridiculous. Drugs often end up killing the users, and legally condoning heroin or cocaine use could lead to more widespread use of these very dangerous, addictive chemicals that often end up killing addicted users. Gay marriage hurts no one, it's not dangerous, or tempting to heterosexual people, legally condoning it will have no effect on people who are not gay.

No church is required to marry anyone, freedom of religion allows them to place rules, and conditions on whom they will marry, no church will be required to marry a gay couple if that goes against their beliefs. No one will be forcing their views about gay marriage onto churches, churches will always be able to decide for themselves whether they wish to condone gay marriage or not. On the other hand, banning gay marriage actually does force the personal views of some people onto churches that choose to perform, and accept gay marriages, this violates their freedom of religion.

Marriage has many reasons besides procreation, marriage doesn't end after the kids are grown, or if a couple is infertile. Marriage is about companionship, and a commitment to one person for lifetime no matter what happens, in sickness and health, for richer for poorer... Legalizing same sex marriage will not stop people from having children, it will have no effect whatsoever on heterosexual couples ability to have and raise children. Gay people can adopt, or have children through various means, and they should have the option to raise those children in a legally recognized marriage, that is good for society. There is no cultural suicide, gay marriage has no effect on heterosexual marriage, or the ability to have children, many gay people are already married(it's just not legally recognized in most cases) and it has no effect on anyone else. Having more loving committed relationships does not hurt society, creating more stable loving marriages can only benefit society.

No one who approves of legalizing gay marriage is trying to force their personal views on anyone, no one will ever be required to marry someone of the same sex, no one will be required to like gay people, or approve of same sex marriage, people are free to think whatever they want. People are simply required to mind their own business, and let other people marry the person of their own choosing. You, and others who want to ban same sex marriage are the ones who are trying to impose their views on others.
Excellent summary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies