Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 09:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokingHazard View Post
Why should anyone actually be required to get the state's permission prior to marrying?

I find it kind of interesting that many "conservative" states have gone so far as to poison their state constitutions with frivolous amendments specifically designed to give the government more oversight over what citizens do in their personal lives.
what are you talking about, getting states permission? Of course the state or in some cases the federal government has certain laws. You are making absolutely no sense. Think about what you are saying, any legal constract has to be administered by somebody, normally it is the state.

Nita

Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 AM

315 posts, read 366,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
See you are talking just like our daughter. I have often said she doesn't believe in gay marriage, I think what you are saying is closer to her feelings, she doesn't really care one way or the other, as long as she and her partner have legal rights to insurance, personal health information etc. She does feel marriaage is as the vows state, between one man and one woman and she is secure in her relationship and with her life.

Nita
It's not a big deal for some people. Some people aren't aware of or concerned about the 1000+ federal Rights and responsibilities of marriages in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia that they're being denied, nor the social stigma or the heavy air of 'separate but equal' that hangs over the whole civil union/marriage thing.

But it does bother some of us.

Old 05-01-2011, 11:39 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Yesterday I heard some radio liberal say that in New York, Governor Andrew Cuomo is working quietly behind the scenes to set it up there.

New York has a progressive Republican streak going back (at least) to Rockefeller.

In New York, sometimes Democrats are the obstacle. Where else do you get "Democrat-Conservative" (party labels) candidates against Republicans?

Old 05-01-2011, 12:17 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Nope, they aren't. The Supreme Court told every state they cannot ban interracial marriage.
Yes- that is between human males and females of different races. That is good sense and is actually a restoration of cultural norms.

I have nothing against homosexuals, however, by definition, their behavior is aberrant and does not conform to cultural norms. Gay marriage proponants are attempting to CHANGE thousands of years of cultural norms and enforce thier personal views on the majority of the population.

When a society not only embraces, but fully legally endorses aberrant behavior, the society itself suffers. Similarly, while I personally have nothing against heroin addicts and cocaine users (who are only damaging themselves), I do not want the legal system to endorse and sanctify their behavior. I certainly do not want the cultural norm established for my kids that heroine and cocaine use are acceptable, nor do I want such addicts as my neighbors. But whatever they want to do in the privacy of their house is okay- just don't attempt to force the rest of society to accept your personal views.

Likewise the ceremony of marriage is in most instances is more of a religious ceremony than a legal one. While one can certainly marry outside a church, the legal endorsement of gay marriage brings those views into a congregation which may not accept it as the norm. Essentially, it is disrupting a religious congregation in the same way the Baptist protesters disrupt the funerals of veterans. It is the imposition of one's personal views upon others in a private and personal environment- the church.

Lastly, marriages between men and women have been established over thousands of years to provide a safe area in which children can be raised, developed, and pass on favorable genes and behavioral traits. Gay marriage, by definition, eliminates the procreation and provision of an environment in which to raise the next generation. In essence, it is cultural suicide. Had all the great civilizations of the past embraced gay marriage,they would have been very short lived.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
In New York, sometimes Democrats are the obstacle. Where else do you get "Democrat-Conservative" (party labels) candidates against Republicans?
thank god for that the most vocal anti gay marriage member in the assembly is a Jewish democrat and the most vocal anti member in the senate is a Hispanic democrat and both are from New York City.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
It's true. Authoritarian and conservative minorities infiltrated the democratic parties decades ago to make the democrat party the same as the republican party. Eeeeeeeeeeeeek. You cannot depend on either party for anything. It's especially pathetic when minorities speak out against other minority groups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
thank god for that the most vocal anti gay marriage member in the assembly is a Jewish democrat and the most vocal anti member in the senate is a Hispanic democrat and both are from New York City.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Shakab is always used in the Bible to refer to forced or deceptive "lying down", hence why it was used when Lot's daughters got him drunk to have sex with him. Not to mention the clause "in beds of a woman". Why didn't it just say, thou shalt not have consensual sex with a man"?
this also is used for your father's wife. In adition if it was "forced or deceptive "lying down" why would they both get the death penalty.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:52 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Sorry Smash, I disagree with you on this and will continue to do so.

Nita
Why should a legally married gay couple be denied the same federal rights and benefits, legally married heterosexuals receive??

Old 05-01-2011, 12:56 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
Well in NY Gay marriage has overwhelming support in the Assembly, and it comes down to a few votes in the Senate. If Cuomo is serious about vetoing any gerrymandered maps, the Senate will have the votes to legalize same-sex marriage.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:09 PM

the only reason that the Republican/Conservatives are doing so bad down state is because certain conservative minority (not all white is the same as other whites, ditto for African Americans and Hispanics) district are gerrymandered down state to protect a bunch of liberals (a ungerrymandered has the potential for at least 4 anti gay marriage votes in the senate from Brooklyn, and another 4 in queens)

but a liberal only cares about minorities (gays are not a minority) only for their own benefit. For example explain to me any fair reason why the Contiguous Orthodox jewish community in Brooklyn has 5 congressional districts (there is no other neighborhood in the country that has 5 congressional districts)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies