Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times

Advertisements

There is no BLACK AMERICA, there is America. The thought that we would separate ourselves into a Black and Other Amerrica is racist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:39 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
There is no BLACK AMERICA, there is America. The thought that we would separate ourselves into a Black and Other Amerrica is racist.
America is more complicated than that. The affects of America's history of racism and segregation will take more years to overcome before we can all get to the point of just being Americans.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
The "Old Spice Guy" is probably gay.
You lie. There's no way a gay man could play in the NFL.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:49 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
The Old Spice guy rocks! Why can't we have a president like the Old Spice guy? He makes Obama look like the Old Gray Mare!
Skinny old grey Mare !

Old 05-01-2011, 10:55 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
America is more complicated than that. The affects of America's history of racism and segregation will take more years to overcome before we can all get to the point of just being Americans.
If your not over it by now , you never will be . Blacks from Islands like Haiti come here , treat people well , are returned good treatment and are considered part of America . Jews were slaves , many whites were slaves . People are slaves today . The world will turn with or without you.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:24 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Why the Old Spice Guy Is Good for Black America | The Root

It wasn’t so long ago that black men in advertising were used to fill one of two roles: violent savage or passive, simple-minded gofers.

Today’s ad agencies continue to push useless crap, of course, but to their credit, they’re usually far less racist in their salesmanship. To wit, Old Spice Guy. There was a time when a muscular black man addressing America’s “ladies”—not just black ladies, but all ladies—in a sexualized tone could have gotten him killed. The black male’s inherent maleness wasn’t an attractive quality; it was brutish and animalistic, something to be feared and pointed at.

Today, Old Spice Guy bucks that notion. He's everywhere, topless and smoldering. And not only are his strength, intelligence and beauty at the forefront of his character, they're heralded as being at the apex of manhood.

YouTube - Old Spice | Scent Vacation
Yes, I agree. It used to be that the only sex symbol that you saw was a white guy on TV. I'm glad that we've progressed this far. It's also refreshing to see an assortment of interracial couples on TV commercials. This was also once ignored. The fact that they're advertising to a "general" audience is wonderful. The oldest "black" commercial that I can remember on TV was the OJ Simpson commercial running through the airport for Hertz rental cars back in the 70s. But he didn't have his shirt off like this cat. Joe Namath got to be semi-nude in a panty hose commercial. I doubt that they would have let OJ have the same kind of gig.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf46hDT5SQQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qf3oOQq9KFU

Last edited by wehotex; 05-01-2011 at 01:38 PM..

Old 05-01-2011, 02:24 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Yes, I agree. It used to be that the only sex symbol that you saw was a white guy on TV. I'm glad that we've progressed this far. It's also refreshing to see an assortment of interracial couples on TV commercials. This was also once ignored. The fact that they're advertising to a "general" audience is wonderful. The oldest "black" commercial that I can remember on TV was the OJ Simpson commercial running through the airport for Hertz rental cars back in the 70s.
Wasn't Cosby doing Jello Pudding long before OJ? His role in I Spy was something of a landmark...

Old 05-01-2011, 02:46 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Wasn't Cosby doing Jello Pudding long before OJ? His role in I Spy was something of a landmark...
I Spy was indeed a landmark TV show. I was talking about "sex" symbols. I don't think "sexy" and Jell-o commercials in the same thought.

Old 05-01-2011, 02:56 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,015 times
Quote:
I Spy was indeed a landmark TV show. I was talking about "sex" symbols. I don't think "sexy" and Jell-o commercials in the same thought.
My mistake - I guess I never thought about the OJ Hertz commercials being "sexy"...

Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 PM

774 posts, read 1,164,606 times
Quote:
Jello pudding can be sexy...you just gotta know how to use it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies