Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2011, 10:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
This is BS. I don't have much in the bank, and tomorrow I could borrow to buy a home, a car, a piece of business equipment, or virtually whatever rational purpose i could find. The bank I have used for thirty years is not the only prospective lender to me, either--one credit card issuer is promoting new car loans to me, another local bank would be happy to take over my business and personal loans, another credit card issuer is offering unsecured loans. All the well-run businesses I know have access to adequate credit.

If however, you are a deadbeat or have no discernible means of repayment or are trying to use pie in the sky, good intentions or high hopes as collateral, now (as usual) you have a tough time borrowing.
If you have real estate already paid off and assets with your business you might get some loans (though rarely to you through a corporation).
Here in California it is tight as a drum even with property and money in the bank. Many escrows fall through.
I could buy another home for cash and have a home paid off, but unless I want a home equity loan they still make you jump through hoops around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 10:37 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I was suggesting that even people with lots of money already sitting in the bank can't seem to even get loans.

Can you get a loan with only $11.04 in the bank these days?

Probably not. When I had my minimum wage job, I had $4,000 in the bank as well as a cousin who would have funded a property that had a lower monthly pmt than my existing rent.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGinger View Post
Not capitalism. That is progression via regulations. More big government interference.
Controlling every aspect of what we do.

A hypothetical conversation with a conservative:

C: Government shouldn't help (subsidize) people to buy homes they can't afford.

Me: I'm cool with that, I want to buy exactly what I can afford, and not one bit more. I want to buy a tiny house on a tiny piece of land because that's all I can afford.

C: Horrors! That is totally unacceptable. A travesty! Government must not allow this sort of thing!

Old 05-01-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Yes, capitalism is the allocation of capital by private as opposed to government hands. Property (landed) rights are granted, protected and controlled by government. The trading of those granted rights are done by both private and government means.

So if government does not deign to allow poor people to have property rights, they're just out of luck?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
If you have real estate already paid off and assets with your business you might get some loans (though rarely to you through a corporation).
Here in California it is tight as a drum even with property and money in the bank. Many escrows fall through.
I could buy another home for cash and have a home paid off, but unless I want a home equity loan they still make you jump through hoops around here.

I heard a local real estate guy on the radio today. He says the lending market is "changing weekly". Specifically, he said that lending was finally loosening up here, and it is getting a lot easier to borrow than it was, say, a year or sig months or even a month ago.

Probably there is a lot of regional variation here, so the local environkment is probably much better in some places than in others.

Old 05-01-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

If however, you are a deadbeat or have no discernible means of repayment or are trying to use pie in the sky, good intentions or high hopes as collateral, now (as usual) you have a tough time borrowing.

If people pay n dollars a month for rent, they have demonstrated the ability to pay n dollars a month. Wouldn't that be "discernable means" of paying n dollars a month on a mortgage?

Old 05-01-2011, 11:22 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,213,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So if government does not deign to allow poor people to have property rights, they're just out of luck?
Actually it is worse than that!

The government owns a massive amount of land in the US, especially surrounding cites and popular areas to live. Land owners benefit by NOT developing their land, because most property taxes are levied on improved property. As the value of the property increases due to government regulations and ownership the land owners can develop some land during periods when the government is giving subsides for people to buy homes. Then the new home owners take the hit as the value of housing drops, so the money ends up back in the hands of the elite.

Other times the land owners can take out loans or just sell pieces of land off.

If we had a system such as proposed by Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine and later Henry George, we would see the opposite dynamic at play and affordable housing would be available to most.

Henry George - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dan's geolibertarian home page

Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
Actually it is worse than that!

The government owns a massive amount of land in the US, especially surrounding cites and popular areas to live. Land owners benefit by NOT developing their land, because most property taxes are levied on improved property. As the value of the property increases due to government regulations and ownership the land owners can develop some land during periods when the government is giving subsides for people to buy homes. Then the new home owners take the hit as the value of housing drops, so the money ends up back in the hands of the elite.

Other times the land owners can take out loans or just sell pieces of land off.

If we had a system such as proposed by Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine and later Henry George, we would see the opposite dynamic at play and affordable housing would be available to most.

Henry George - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dan's geolibertarian home page

Thanks for reminding me about Henry George. I read about him some years ago and he made sense to me. It seemed obvious to me that his 'single tax' was a very good thing for affordable housing.

What's the opposition based on?

Old 05-02-2011, 10:45 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
If you can get a loan, even with a half million in the bank you are a rare breed right now.
You obviously are not living in America. Millions of people in the USA are getting loans every day.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A hypothetical conversation with a conservative:

C: Government shouldn't help (subsidize) people to buy homes they can't afford.

Me: I'm cool with that, I want to buy exactly what I can afford, and not one bit more. I want to buy a tiny house on a tiny piece of land because that's all I can afford.

C: Horrors! That is totally unacceptable. A travesty! Government must not allow this sort of thing!

???????????? What can your point of this post possibly be ???????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies