Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 01:14 PM

2,409 posts, read 3,040,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Kids education includes Physical Education. And remember the old proverb "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy".
Haha yeah right you know what physical education in the public education system has been reduced to nowadays? Sitting around for 15 minutes talking about eating vegetables. That's about as much "physical education" most kids get nowadays. Playing tag has actually been banned from many schools. And recess is no longer than 30 minutes in some schools. Gym class is only 45 minutes or an hour in most schools and actually the time being physical and exercising is even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Haha yeah right you know what physical education in the public education system has been reduced to nowadays? Sitting around for 15 minutes talking about eating vegetables. That's about as much "physical education" most kids get nowadays. Playing tag has actually been banned from many schools. And recess is no longer than 30 minutes in some schools. Gym class is only 45 minutes or an hour in most schools and actually the time being physical and exercising is even less.

I agree that this is a problem.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:08 PM

4,145 posts, read 10,423,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
The point is the money could be better spent on helping ALL STUDENTS....not just propping up high school athletics. It reflects upon American culture and why the entire US public education system is a complete and utter failure and why American kids are unable to compete in a global economy. It speaks volumes as to where our celebrity obsessed and sporstaholic culture begins. You ask American kids who was kicked off American Idol last week most could probably tell you. Now go ask them which branch of US government is known for being the most representative and why? Hell most adults probably can't name the Secretary of the Treasury or the Fed Chairman or what quantitative easing and hyperinflation mean......let alone who the current Defense Secretary is. Or better yet how many high schools kids understand the Food Modernization and Safety Act and the impact it has on this country and their right to choose healthy food. Now go ask any adult male between the ages of 20 and 40 a myriad of useless sports statistics.
I know it's tough to comprehend over there in California, but that may be why you're on the brink of sliding off the edge of the country. The amount of money that it'll make will pay for itself, thus pumping MORE money into the schools.

But hey, California has it all down, right? By the way, did y'alls tax refund checks clear this year? Or did the state have to issue another IOU?

We're about the only state that's self sufficient. We're about the only one that has by and large bypassed the recession that you're all suffering from. We're about the only one who's real estate values aren't in the tank.

So you sit there and enjoy your pretty beaches. They're probably getting more and more crowded during the week with so many people out of work. We'll enjoy our lives here.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:47 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
What's your point?
Read the post I was responding too. then if you don't understand the point, I cant help you.

Old 05-02-2011, 04:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
First of all you are looking at ALL extracurricular activities. Not highschool footbal.

second, yes bonds are used for all kinds of things. we are talking about THIS bond and its use to increase a revenue stream.
And this bond will not pay for any teachers, nor will it build science labs.

It is unlikely to produce $1.8M of additional revenue per year from football. That means once again - no new teachers.

Taxpayers will be paying for this stadium for the next 20 years.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,328,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Math classes, physics labs and computer stations are simply not exciting enough to bother funding. Who cares that the nerds not the football players will make the future? The mob needs to be entertained. The future be damned.
Seriously?

What if they already have math labs and physic labs and language labs and concert halls, etc?

You people will find any reason to mouth off, I swear.

Must make people feel big to make fun of people's cultural traditions...sorry our favorite pasttime isn't smoking pot and finding new ways to hand out free sh*t to illegals.

Last edited by stan4; 05-02-2011 at 06:03 PM..

Old 05-02-2011, 08:30 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,726,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Read the post I was responding too. then if you don't understand the point, I cant help you.

Sounds like you also don't know what your point is.

If you are linking professional sports to high school sports, you certainly have a problem. That's not the goal of high school sports.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:33 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Look...if they wanna be knuckleheads with their money, that's their problem. Just like i don't see a good reason for people worrying about what's in a Tucson textbook, i'm an Arizonan that couldn't care less about an overbudget, oversized football stadium in Allen, Texas. Besides, they aren't going to win anything anyway. When was the last time Allen won a state Championship? Once...maybe a few years ago. But certainly not perenially. They'll just look like fools in the end.

Maybe a new 60 million dollar stadium would make them do better, you know make them feel a little better about themselves.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,625,388 times
Wow, you just can't make some people happy. Allen High School is a great school and does great on education, with students of all races doing very well. They also happen to have a very loyal and devoted following of their high school football team and currently have the largest high school marching band in the country. The old stadium seated 14000 and was routinely packed. They actually needed a bigger stadium to meet the demand of people who want to attend the games. Did it have to cost $60million? No, but thats what the community wanted and I don't see a problem with it if they wanted it.

The money comes from the local community and has nothing to do with state funding. No teachers lost jobs because of the stadium. No money was cut from other programs for the stadium.

Much to the contrary of hurting students, the stadium is a big boost for the school. Considering the school has a graduation rate of well over 90%, I would say that those who are condemning the stadium and saying the school doesn't care about education should educate THEMSELVES on the school before they whine.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:01 AM

20,454 posts, read 12,372,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
And this bond will not pay for any teachers, nor will it build science labs.

It is unlikely to produce $1.8M of additional revenue per year from football. That means once again - no new teachers.

Taxpayers will be paying for this stadium for the next 20 years.
1. if they are paying for this for the next 20 years, then they are good with it because 60% of them voted for it.

2. the facility is multi-use so I expect the district will market it for conferences etc.

and even if it doesnt pay for itself and even if you are right and I am wrong about the additional revenue, please note, this was not federal tax dollars. it was not state tax dollars. It was a local bond where the voters decided by a 60% majority that they wanted this building.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies