Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you be willing to Pay Higher Tolls or Higher Taxes to make are infrastructure safe
Yes, Toll Me and Tax Me 2 6.25%
No, Taxes we pay now are enough 11 34.38%
Stop sending billions to foreign countries and spend it here 19 59.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 04:14 PM

452 posts, read 1,132,248 times

Advertisements

I was watching the news today and the newscaster was reading viewer emails about the bridge collapse. One viewer wrote, "I am a mother of three and I couldn't imagine if I had been on that bridge, TAX ME so I know that are bridges and roadways are safe." Tax Me, I thought we already were taxed for this, Yes, I do believe we are. I wish people would stop and think, we already pay taxes for the upkeep of bridges and roadways. It is government who takes that money and spends it elsewhere. Then it is government who claims not to be getting enough, eventhough they give billions to foreign countries year after year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 04:18 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Yes, I absolutely would, but...I have seen this before, money allocated for road and bridge repair, and it never went to that...so I want to make darn sure, that those taxes are allocated for that and stay that way, even after new people are voted in....

In PA, during the last supposidly gas shortage, they imposed a tax on gas, which was supposed to be for road and bridge repair...so where did it go
PA has the worst roads and bridges in the country.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:25 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,677,572 times
Our government has far too much of our money as it is. There's no reason our roads and bridges can't be maintained properly at current taxation levels. We just need to throw the morons in Washington out on their butts and elect some representatives that aren't so feckless.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:27 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
No i wouldn't want to be taxed one cent more, they have the money for the maintenance and they neglect to use it for it's purpose, the cities should be held responsable for the lack of maintenance and the loss of life.

Old 08-04-2007, 04:27 PM

562 posts, read 660,032 times
I think the poll shows how AMERICANS feel.

Also let's stop with the "Save the children" infomercials condoning sending American money to foreign kids. We got our own people to consider first. Screw the rest of the world, America first.

The Russians OWE us trillions of dollars, and the Mexican government is right behind them at around 10 billion. Lets collect on that debt!

Old 08-04-2007, 06:03 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
I guess I don't understand the question. Where I live, we don't have "Toll" roads or bridges. That's because our state can responsibly take care of those. They budget XX dollars to build a brindge/road, and they do it. They don't come back and say, "Well, my kids are now in college, and they eat over 60 cherios a day, and they, well, you know, they have to text message their friends 765 times a day, so we need moor money for the bridge."

Huh? Wake up your gov and tell them that you are tired of this crap. We did and we're happy with the outcome.

Old 08-04-2007, 06:13 PM

562 posts, read 660,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I guess I don't understand the question. Where I live, we don't have "Toll" roads or bridges. That's because our state can responsibly take care of those. They budget XX dollars to build a brindge/road, and they do it. They don't come back and say, "Well, my kids are now in college, and they eat over 60 cherios a day, and they, well, you know, they have to text message their friends 765 times a day, so we need moor money for the bridge."

Huh? Wake up your gov and tell them that you are tired of this crap. We did and we're happy with the outcome.
Obviously, you don't understand what was originally stated. There was nothing mentioned about Toll roads, or toll bridges. What was stated is that the person said "Tax me so I can make sure the bridges are safe". The person didn't realize that their tax dollars were already supposed to be spent in that manner. I suggest you go back and re-read the original post.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:48 AM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
Just take the trillion we wasted in Iraq and spend that money....You know on people who actually appreciate America and what it stands for....

Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 AM

1,736 posts, read 4,744,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
Just take the trillion we wasted in Iraq and spend that money....You know on people who actually appreciate America and what it stands for....
Better yet take the money wasted on the government public education monopoly, privatize it and put the “trillions in savings” into the transportation infrastructure.

Not only would the roads be improved, but there would be a lot less “zippys” graduating from HS that can’t read their diplomas.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:10 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RednC
Better yet take the money wasted on the government public education monopoly, privatize it and put the “trillions in savings” into the transportation infrastructure.
Government public education monopoly? Do you live somewhere that outlaws private schools? Or is it just somewhere with so little resources that a private school wouldn't even bother coming in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNC
Not only would the roads be improved, but there would be a lot less “zippys” graduating from HS that can’t read their diplomas.

Um.... no there wouldn't. There'd be even LESS people who can't read. Don't believe me? What was the literacy rate in America back in the 1700s and 1800s again? Hmmmm......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies