Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 06:09 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

He's dead, but our country is in a shambles, it's a giant PITA to travel, and people are being spied on in their own homes.

Draw? Naw. He is now a martyr and a rallying point for those who really hate us...nothing is done or over. This was symbolic, but hardly a checkmate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 06:10 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Did Bin Laden win?
Until the troops are home and the Patriot Act is repealed, the joke is on us.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,890,319 times
Does anyone think the "endless wars" we are now engaged in will be re:examined as the best ways to fight the war on terror? With all of the killing
going on the Middle East I think the people there will turn against the U.S.
Its just my hunch but I am glad Bin Laden is gone.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:16 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
He completely changed the course of American history. I think he won because we let him win. We should have treated the "war" on terrorism as a police action and surgically struck against Al Qaida and Bin Laden rather than invade farflug countries. It's a shame Al Gore wasn't in the White House on 9/11. We'd be living in a saner, more stable nation today.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:17 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,766,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Sure the USA got the final say on when and where he died. But, he died a martyr.

Inarguably we are a less free nation than before the first attacks on the WTC prior to 9/11. We have spent $Trillions on the "war on terror", lost precious lives, and precious freedoms in the process.

With Bin Laden's death come threats of attacks to make 9/11 pale in comparison. Iran, the supreme state sponsor of Islamic terrorism, is on the cusp of going nuclear. Gaddafi vows retribution for the death of his family members.

If recent history has taught us anything it is that with higher threats come more restrictions upon our basic freedoms of communication and travel.

As Constitutionally affirmed free people, how much more of our liberties are we willing to sacrfice in the name of fear and security? When does enough become enough?

Did Bin Laden win?
If you live your life in fear of terrorists, then OBL won.

If you go about your daily business without feeling scared of your own shadow, the OBL did not win.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:22 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Does anyone think the "endless wars" we are now engaged in will be re:examined as the best ways to fight the war on terror? With all of the killing
going on the Middle East I think the people there will turn against the U.S.
Its just my hunch but I am glad Bin Laden is gone.
It's going to get worse. Hillary Clinton is already stating that the message of al-Qaeda “might have even greater resonance" now that we offed Osama.
Sounds like she is prepping the sheep for more dire security warnings and increased troop activity.
Governments love a boogyman to keep the focus off themselves, which means Osama must be replaced.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:23 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Michael Moore has made a profitable career from denegrating the US which is his right!
That's funny because I can't think of anyone who thinks more highly of his country (the people, that is) than MM. Is there anyone out there who more cogently inspires us to be better Americans?

Bin Laden didn't win. He was used as a symbol. The American citizens lost, but they had been losing even before Bin Laden was born. The winners are those who tell the lies, er, I mean, the stories of history.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:29 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
That's funny because I can't think of anyone who thinks more highly of his country (the people, that is) than MM. Is there anyone out there who more cogently inspires us to be better Americans?

Bin Laden didn't win. He was used as a symbol. The American citizens lost, but they had been losing even before Bin Laden was born. The winners are those who tell the lies, er, I mean, the stories of history.
MM makes his living potraying himself as the everyday joe raging at the system which couldn't be further from the truth!! How has he inspired anyone to be better Americans?? Yes everyone lies except MM ! Give me a break!

Old 05-02-2011, 06:30 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,537,652 times
What's a greater win for bin Laden-- martyrdom, or continued living with the world knowing we were trying to get him and failing? I think it's the latter. Unless you simply don't believe the accounts that include him using a woman, probably his wife, as a human shield, it sounds to me like he didn't want to be a martyr. Then again, who knows how many would-be martyrs get cold feet at the moment of martyrdom.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:45 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Sure the USA got the final say on when and where he died. But, he died a martyr.

Inarguably we are a less free nation than before the first attacks on the WTC prior to 9/11. We have spent $Trillions on the "war on terror", lost precious lives, and precious freedoms in the process.

With Bin Laden's death come threats of attacks to make 9/11 pale in comparison. Iran, the supreme state sponsor of Islamic terrorism, is on the cusp of going nuclear. Gaddafi vows retribution for the death of his family members.

If recent history has taught us anything it is that with higher threats come more restrictions upon our basic freedoms of communication and travel.

As Constitutionally affirmed free people, how much more of our liberties are we willing to sacrfice in the name of fear and security? When does enough become enough?

Did Bin Laden win?
Come on MOgal! Jump in with rest of the bandwagon patriots and celebrate the coming of the new Messiah! It's all because Barry has big nuts that you no longer have to be afraid of evil mud people on the other side of the world. Bush sure couldn't do it. You're just afraid to happy for an almost all black man. You're racist. RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now seriously...gal you are right on. I mentioned this around page 47 of the big Obama slobberfest last night. One or two people recognized what I was saying, but most are blinded by the fact that Barry can now claim credit for something positive. For him, yeah it's great. For the country as a whole, I'm afraid we have only advanced the statist agenda. You will still be policed by the Patriot Act, you and your daughters will still be sexually molested at the nation's airports, and the media will continue to remind you that you must subjugate yourself to the state to really be free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies