Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 01:31 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
No. The story is about an act of vandalism that involved the burning of an American flag. Neither of which would be a thread starter without the other.
And yet, it took several posts for the word associated with the illegal activity (vandalism) to show up in this thread. To top it off, you took offense to my quote on the subject.

Quote:
For example: Graveyards often are vandalized when headstones are knocked down. Legally this is simple vandalism, emotionally this is an attack on the memory of someone's loved one. Do you understand?
Vandalism? Hell yeah. It should have been obvious several posts ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 01:39 PM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
And yet, it took several posts for the word associated with the illegal activity (vandalism) to show up in this thread. To top it off, you took offense to my quote on the subject.
The word vandalism showed up after someone asked the what was wrong with what happened. And I didn't take offense to anything.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:44 PM

Quote:
The word vandalism showed up after someone asked the what was wrong with what happened.
Yes, and it was in the 40th post when the thread would be apparently a non-starter without it. Yet, you took offense to my (following) post. Why?

Quote:
So, the problem is not with burning of a flag, but vandalism.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:46 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,858,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Flag Burning on LSU Campus | KATC.com | Acadiana-Lafayette, Louisiana

LSU campus found a burned American flag on the ground and the LSU flag missing. Some are automatically blaming Muslims angry over bin laden's execution. It could just as well be some America hating college professor or student.
One of my friend's Facebook wall is filled with a back-and-forth in which she laments how we've "committed murder," we're a "terrorist state," etc.

She's a new-age spiritualist who, on the one hand, doesn't like Islam because of how it subjugates women and spiritual/religious minorities in their nations... but on the other hand, she thinks that they're inherently virtuous because they aren't Christian, and most of them are nonwhite. She views him as a "bad person," but thinks that "we are worse." It's caused a debate in which the people who are in her program are echoing her sentiments, and just about everyone else is telling her she's being really over the top. She's about to finish a social work program at a major West Coast state university; before a couple years ago, she never would have said anything like this, but now? This is how she reacts to basically anything in the media. We had a disagreement over directions once when we were roommates and driving somewhere, and she lambasted me about how my "white male privilege always makes me think I'm right" when I insisted it would be shorter to take surface streets due to traffic.

Contrast that with one of my friends who's a Pakistani Muslim woman, who texted me right after his demise: "did u hear we kill osama?? ahaha i am so happy," "my family r happiest people in world," and "ya he killed so many innocent people god will never forgive him what ever he did."

Who do you think is more apt to burn a flag in the wake of all this?

FTR, I'm a liberal... I just can't stand the left fringe anymore than I can stand the right fringe.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Flag Burning on LSU Campus | KATC.com | Acadiana-Lafayette, Louisiana

LSU campus found a burned American flag on the ground and the LSU flag missing. Some are automatically blaming Muslims angry over bin laden's execution. It could just as well be some America hating college professor or student.
So what, a flag is just a piece of cloth

Old 05-03-2011, 02:18 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Depends, if the ass kicking you get if I see you burning the American flag.
That is war on my nation.
Interesting. The people of Charleston ripped down the Stars and Stripes in 1861 and stomped on them in public after secession was declared. Boy how times change.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 PM

14,481 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Yes, and it was in the 40th post when the thread would be apparently a non-starter without it. Yet, you took offense to my (following) post. Why?
No EinsteinsGhost, vandalism was brought up on the first page. Maybe not the word, but certainly the fact that it had occurred was brought up.

And again, I was not offended by your post, I just could not figure out how someone who has the audacity to call himself EinsteinsGhost was clearly not understanding what the brouha was about. Or were you just being provocative?

Old 05-03-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
No EinsteinsGhost, vandalism was brought up on the first page. Maybe not the word, but certainly the fact that it had occurred was brought up.

And again, I was not offended by your post, I just could not figure out how someone who has the audacity to call himself EinsteinsGhost was clearly not understanding what the brouha was about. Or were you just being provocative?
For provocation, look at the title of the thread which focuses on flag burning not vandalism which ends up being an irrelevant fact until people start discussing legality of flag burning.

I showed up with my argument to make sure vandalism wasn't being overlooked as the primary argument on legality, while for you it was secondary. Or else, you would have noticed the provocative nature of the thread's title and the initial posts.

Do you not see sensationalism and "targets" written all over this thread? Perhaps I should ask, which (first) post in this thread would you classify as being provocative?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies