Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Body of water should be ...
The Arabian Sea 0 0%
The Persian Gulf 8 100.00%
Martyr's Sea (In honor of Osama Bin Laden) 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times

Advertisements

When did the Persian Gulf become the Arabian Gulf?

In case you didn't know there are many Facebook pages dedicated to returning the name of the "Arabian Gulf" to "Persian Gulf".

Now that Osama Bin Laden has been dropped in the "Arabian Sea", will some strive to rename the body of water for the dead Al Quaida leader?

Osama Bin Laden dead: Radical Muslims name burial location 'Martyr's Sea' | Mail Online

IRAN, SAUDI ARABIA: Islamic Solidarity Games in Tehran canceled over 'Persian Gulf' spat | Babylon & Beyond | Los Angeles Times

http://www.persianorarabiangulf.com/

Last edited by LuckyGem; 05-05-2011 at 01:36 PM.. Reason: Clarified post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Well, I haven't the faintest clue about facebook pages (are they a news source?). However, I have read about this issue over the past couple of years. I believe that Iran is upset about people referring to the body of water as 'Arabian" since the Iranians are not Arab, and, I guess, they believe they somehow surround the Gulf.

True, for many years it was known as the Persian Gulf. I do not know who changed it, or even who has the authority to change it. I suppose if I ever sit down and make my own map of the World, I will name it as I please (perhaps Legalsea Gulf, as well as the Gulf of Legalsea off the coast of Texas). My map probably won't sell that well.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Well, I haven't the faintest clue about facebook pages (are they a news source?). However, I have read about this issue over the past couple of years. I believe that Iran is upset about people referring to the body of water as 'Arabian" since the Iranians are not Arab, and, I guess, they believe they somehow surround the Gulf.

True, for many years it was known as the Persian Gulf. I do not know who changed it, or even who has the authority to change it. I suppose if I ever sit down and make my own map of the World, I will name it as I please (perhaps Legalsea Gulf, as well as the Gulf of Legalsea off the coast of Texas). My map probably won't sell that well.
I didn't include any links to Facebook pages. I simply mentioned that there are many pages dedicated to returning the name of the Arabian Sea to Persian Gulf.

My news links are cited in my original post.

If it is true that the Arabian Sea will be known as Martyr's Sea by radial Muslims, then dumping the body in the water (in order to avoid having a place for a shrine) has had the opposite effect.

So much for dumping overboard, they should have chopped him to bits, and fed it to pigs.

They need to organize another seal team to fish his filth out of the water and dispose of it another way.

Quote:
Radical Muslims are already calling the site of Osama bin Laden’s ocean burial the ‘Martyr’s Sea’, according to one of Britain’s leading Islamic scholars.
The US said the decision to drop bin Laden’s body into the North Arabian Sea was taken to avoid creating a shrine for the slain Al Qaeda chief.
But Abdal Hakim Murad, Muslim Chaplain at Cambridge University, claimed yesterday that the move could backfire on the Americans.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1LVKpVODT

Old 05-05-2011, 12:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
uhm

the persian gulf aka the arabian gulf..aka the gulf of iran is not the arabain sea

here is the persian gulf

here is the arabian sea

public education has to go

Old 05-05-2011, 12:38 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
When did the Persian Gulf become the Arabian Sea?
It didn't. Arabian Sea has always been Arabian Sea, and Persian Gulf has always been Persian Gulf. Two different places. If these people want to rename it, they will first have to find it on the map. And you too, for that matter.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,531,877 times
Quote:
When did the Persian Gulf become the Arabian Sea?

In case you didn't know there are many Facebook pages dedicated to returning the name of the "Arabian Sea" to "Persian Gulf".

Now that Osama Bin Laden has been dropped in the "Arabian Sea", will some strive to rename the body of water for the dead Al Quaida leader?

Osama Bin Laden dead: Radical Muslims name burial location 'Martyr's Sea' | Mail Online

IRAN, SAUDI ARABIA: Islamic Solidarity Games in Tehran canceled over 'Persian Gulf' spat | Babylon & Beyond | Los Angeles Times
The Persian Gulf and Arabian Sea have always been different locations...

Old 05-05-2011, 01:20 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,016,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
The Persian Gulf and Arabian Sea have always been different locations...
I can see by the map that is true. However, the cited article refers to the dispute (for 50 years duration, which surprised me) on the body of water called the Persian Sea; apparently there are those who want to rename it.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It didn't. Arabian Sea has always been Arabian Sea, and Persian Gulf has always been Persian Gulf. Two different places. If these people want to rename it, they will first have to find it on the map. And you too, for that matter.
Not exactly:

Persian Gulf naming dispute - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-05-2011, 01:31 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,496,494 times
Quote:
then clarify numbnuts

you are talking about the GULF...not the sea

the persain GULF...aka the arabian GULF...aka the GULF of Iran...is not the arabian SEA

btw OBL was dropped in the arabian SEA off of pakistan...they didnt head NORTH into the GULF to drop him

Old 05-05-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
then clarify numbnuts

you are talking about the GULF...not the sea

the persain GULF...aka the arabian GULF...aka the GULF of Iran...is not the arabian SEA
That's right turd for brains. They are disputing the name of the Persian Gulf.

Persian Gulf or Arabian Gulf

Radicals want to rename the Arabian Sea "Martyr's Sea".

I'm glad you know how to read. I clarified the original post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies