U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 PM

6,941 posts, read 9,003,024 times

Advertisements

But what is wrong with alternative energy?Even if global warming isn't real, alternative energy has its benefits.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 10:21 PM

33,414 posts, read 31,369,864 times
i fully agree with alternative forms of energy, and we should have been developing them 40 years ago instead of waiting for so long to develop them now. in fact carter created the department of energy for that very reason.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:22 PM

6,073 posts, read 5,881,119 times
OK, I'll bite.

There is nothing wrong with alternative energy...except that it is a dramatic waste of scarce resources.

1. Wind energy is more expensive than energy produced from coal, oil, natural gas, or nuclear. We are wasting money in subsidies that could be used to help people, reduce taxes, or pay down the debt.

2. The tax credit for hybrid or electric vehicles is basically a wealth transfer to upper middle class people who do not mind over-paying for their cars.

3. Ethanol is a huge boondoggle. The direct subsidies, tariffs to prevent competition, and mandated use are the only reason a single gallon of the inferior fuel ever gets sold. As a byproduct, higher food prices around the globe impoverish millions because we burn up 40% of the corn crop to produce the stuff.

The market will bring us the most efficient fuels available without massive government intervention in the economy, with all the distortions it causes. There is a buck to be made by bringing people what they need or want, so when "alternatives" become timely and viable, they will be adopted more quickly than any government program could ever accomplish. IN the meantime, stop wasting our money.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Status: "Alex Jones has been right more often than Fauci" (set 6 days ago)

39,805 posts, read 21,796,093 times
Get government out of the energy game with it's price fixing, manipulation and subsidies so that real prices can drive the development/direction of alternative energies.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:38 PM

78,883 posts, read 42,426,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
But what is wrong with alternative energy?Even if global warming isn't real, alternative energy has its benefits.

I believe the world was a glowing ball of fire.

I believe it cooled off and a crust developed.
I believe hot and cold created moisture to collect.
I believe there has been more than one ice age.
I believe the magnetic poles have flipped and are constantly moving.
I believe the North American continent, was once the North Pole.
I believe Ice once covered most of North America
I believe the North Pole is slowly(our time) moving towards Russia.
I believe the equator is moving towards North America.

I don't believe the dinosaurs Camero and SUV, cause the ice to recede.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:39 PM

10,234 posts, read 15,261,479 times
I have never believed in global warming, but I do believe in the availability of various energy alternatives. Last year I did opt for renewal energy for my electrical power, although I'm not happy with the spike in its cost. And this is the problem with "green" alternatives ~ COSTS!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:41 AM

22,603 posts, read 20,511,255 times
30 years ago the hope for the future was fusion. Real science fiction but you'd think that we'd be closer to developing it with all the advances we've been mkaing in other areas. Even if it would be another 30 or 40 years we'd have our energy needs mostly met.
So I'm a little confused and perplexed that we've been pushing low tech solutions. Solar, wind power, bio, electric. Clean yes, but also nowhere near the potential of more advanced energy producing technology. It just seems like we're pursuing a dead end while potentially hugely rewarding directions are being ignored.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:56 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,536,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I have never believed in global warming, but I do believe in the availability of various energy alternatives. Last year I did opt for renewal energy for my electrical power, although I'm not happy with the spike in its cost. And this is the problem with "green" alternatives ~ COSTS!
Should I mount the windmill on the ass-end of my SUV or even better .. Maybe put a couple of 'solar panels' where my sunroof is now?

Old 05-04-2011, 05:03 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,008,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The market will bring us the most efficient fuels available without massive government intervention in the economy, with all the distortions it causes. There is a buck to be made by bringing people what they need or want, so when "alternatives" become timely and viable, they will be adopted more quickly than any government program could ever accomplish. IN the meantime, stop wasting our money.
Excellent I tip my hat. Get the central planners out of the way.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:17 AM

10,954 posts, read 10,199,142 times
Oh, I agree some alternative energies have value. It does not, however, need to be at the mandatory requirement of the government to sell it to the general public. If it is a good product and saves us money, then the general public will buy it. Me, I am a fan of the geothermal heat pump, which will save us money in the long run on our expensive energy costs. I am making that decision because it's good for our wallet, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies