Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 AM

111 posts, read 91,646 times

Advertisements

I'd go a bit farther and say India is a really fCKed up country. People in the west paint India as a model of a global economy... look up groups such as the maharastra navirman sena, factor in backwards tribal regions and get back to me with your analysis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 01:14 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Maybe some people paint India as a model country but in general the rest of the world and to the economists India is still ranked a third world country.

As with most of Southeast Asia their lifestyles are a mystery to the western world.

I'm sure they look at America and can't understand why such a wealthy country allows some of it's citizens to live in abject poverty (the American Indian tribes).

Why people judge another country based on their own countries beliefs and morals is unbelievable.

I sure as hell don't want to see the rest of the world turned into another America like we are today.

Of course American mothers don't kill their kids, right?

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/817...g-daughter-die

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/04/13...illing-3-kids/

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_815769.html

Or prostitute their daughter, right?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...83-504083.html

sad stories >>>> barbaric first world bastards......

Old 05-14-2011, 05:01 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,548,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChokingHazard View Post
I'd go a bit farther and say India is a really fCKed up country. People in the west paint India as a model of a global economy... look up groups such as the maharastra navirman sena, factor in backwards tribal regions and get back to me with your analysis

People in the West also painted Pakistan as a great ally! How come you never hear bad things about China and its problems? The reason is because China goes thru great lengths to hide this from the international media. They want to portray a positive image of a strong and modern China. It doesn't alway work but it definitely minimizes any potential negative publicity. In Asia and many other parts of the world, the perception of America is generally not good. Racisms and KKK comes first in the minds of many. Then conditions of the Native Americans, blah blah, etc. We could go on forever. The ultasound machines that can be used to determine gender have forced politicians to pass laws that ban such use but it is not alays successful. Affulent ppl will fly to other countries to do the procedure. Its survival and its sad. Like someone stated, it wil catch up to them, but mind you there is an effort being made to combat the problem.

Old 05-14-2011, 05:09 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,548,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
India is a very imbalanced country. When I traveled through Asia, I spent some time in India. Large parts of India are westernized and live western-influenced lives, while deep-seeded villiages still abide by religious cult values. Too bad they cannot get it together and work as a single country rather than a bunch of little regions.

I have spent time there as well. I know exactly what you are talking about but the change is happening as we speak. Going back over 20 yrs, the changes that occur every 5 yrs have been phenomenal. The deeply seeded villages, however see the progress last. Change is inevitable I just wished it reached these places quicker. It can be done and could've been done earlier but political games always make the people losers. When India first gained independence, there were calls by certain leaders to promote primary education, but the call was not answered by Nehru. A bunch short sighted nit wits who only care about linging their own pockets, is the casue of anguish for many in India. Things are looking better, but there is so much room for improvement. This is where someone's problems become other's opportunities!

Old 05-14-2011, 07:03 AM

15,097 posts, read 8,643,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
And what do you believe in an imaginary fire in the sky, a "holy spirit", A virgin Mary who had the son of God....yeah sounds very realistic.....Sounds like some dude was tripping on Mushrooms, wifey had an affair and played it off haha. To make matters worse, when nobody believes it, the believers go ape **** and force folks to convert or die.

As for women, take a good hard look at South America where young girls are being pimped out ......same **** different language.....si?
Thank you for your insight into the complexities of the modern day Indian culture .... just don't expect the average American to consider such things .. if it's not Football, Bud-Light or American Idol .... they find it difficult or not worthy of 30 minutes of directed attention. And whatever you do, don't expect them to recognize our glaring, collective hypocrisy on the vast array of topics to which we've become a world leader.

We as Americans today seem to be attracted to extremes, rather than moderate thought. We either "Care too much" (justifying our forcing others to comply with our philosophy of how to live) or we "Couldn't care less". Once upon a time, we embraced the proper approach ... speaking out against wrong doing, and providing a model to which others could follow .. leading by example.

Generally, poor education may be to blame for not realizing that India represents one of the most advanced ancient cultures on earth ... and those people who cite "Monkey Gods" to define Indian spirituality really have no clue whatsoever ... which is obvious when one chooses to insult a Billion people in one simple comment.

The reality is, the Rig-Veda is recognized by scholars as some of the most spiritually remarkable writings known to exist ... dating to 3,000 BC. And the four Vedas which generally comprise the foundation of the Hindu religion possess some remarkably advanced thought, including sound frequency effects on the environment and people. Science and Astronomy is well represented in ancient Indian Sanskrit texts ... and though outsiders may perceive the "multiple god" concepts as backwards given their monotheistic training ... Hinduism really is at its core, monotheistic in nature, believing in just one supreme being that simply manifests in many forms.

The problems in modern Indian culture seen today is most definitely the result of ignorance, poverty, and corruption, as you suggested ... and not unlike the modern problems of most cultures and countries ... including the USA.

Though this might sound strange to some ... cuisine can often give insight to a culture ... and the Indian cuisine's spices are not only fragrant and very tasty .. but also possesses more potent anti-cancer properties than modern chemotherapy. (just a side note).

Old 05-14-2011, 11:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
India is one of four countries in the entire world with endemic polio. "Endemic" means it's always there.

WHO | Poliomyelitis

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endemic_(epidemiology)

It's got a long way to go to become part of the developed world.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:19 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,160,558 times
Quote:
And what do you believe in an imaginary fire in the sky, a "holy spirit", A virgin Mary who had the son of God....yeah sounds very realistic.....Sounds like some dude was tripping on Mushrooms, wifey had an affair and played it off haha. To make matters worse, when nobody believes it, the believers go ape **** and force folks to convert or die.

As for women, take a good hard look at South America where young girls are being pimped out ......same **** different language.....si?
LOL! Ya took the words right outta my mouth! How silly for any christian to make fun of what others believe ...TOO ridiculous!

Old 05-14-2011, 12:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
I thnik we need to loo at our won past and not that too distant either. We allowed women to be assulted by their husbands for deacdes unitl not really that long ago. Not sayig this is good but we even vakued males childre more than men not that long ago.With India havig along with china 1/4 of the world's popualtion its really not surprising really they are stilol far behinhd .Even look at now Indians were treated by the British before they got indepoendence. Lots of sad things going on aroud the wolrd. My wife neice thru marriage was saved by Nuns in Iran when she was place in a tidal ditch to drown because she was a girl along with mnay others.She was adopted by her step parents who worked for a oil company there.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:27 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
My parents are from the Southern tip of India, a place called Kerala. This place like some other areas of India have deep respect for women. In fact, historically Women in Kerala were given the right to inherit land when their husbands died and they were allowed to learn the art of fighting. Matriarchal hierarchy was practiced to a large extent before anywhere in the world ever acknowledged it.

India has 1 billion ppl, a little less than 400 million are middle class. The rest are dirt poor. They are uneducated and have very old beliefs that have been further twisted with corrupt priests. Not all but some. It is going to take time, lots of time to change their perceptions but laws have been passed to stop such crimes from occurring. The reality is that many don't have the money to even feed their kids, so they must choose. It is a choice of life or death, a painful one that no parent ever wants to make unfortunately it is survival. The best solution is to have greater family planning but for some reason, there is failure. We live in a democracy, and the same politicians who should pass better laws and provide education, pocket the money (corruption). In certain backward areas, the girls get trafficked into sex slavery not just for the domestic population but they are sent to the Middle East and Southeast Asia. When the US and other western powers make demands that children should not work in factories that make products for the American public, guess what happens? The children become easier targets for sexual trafficking. The main cause of this is one word Corruption...and it affects everyone.

I am in no way defending what is happening but I don't think you can judge everyone by the actions of a few. The South has completely different values than the North. In fact, women feel safer roaming around in the Southern part of India than the rest of the country. Also check out the Statistics, Kerala has a higher ratio of girls to boys. The state also has 100% literacy and the ppl in this state have lived in harmony for 1000's of years regardless of religion. It is the only area in the world where Jews have never been persecuted and where Muslims did not use the sword to preach Islam.

I laugh when our media says anything about India. It will only point out the negative aspects. Sometimes, it is a good thing because the media needs to inform ppl of the problems that need to be addressed urgently. But what I find disturbing is why the US media never talks about how the US turned a blind eye to Pakistan's support of terrorism against India since the 80's. Or how the US turned a blind eye to Pakistani attempts of obtaining Nukes before it actually obtained the tech. A double standard don;t you think? Remember when Clinton fired Tomahawks missiles at Bin Laden in the mid 90's? Well some of those missiles failed to explode and Pakistan recovered those missiles and copied them. Guess what? Pakistan has fitted nukes on those same missiles aimed at India. Oh btw our friend China got a good close look. Now, we have this stealth copter issue. Guess what? China is going to pick it apart with a fine comb and then share the tech with Pakistan and guess which country is going to suffer? India. Anyway, it is a vicious cycle because India then needs to buy expensive weapons to defend against this new CHinese/Pakistani tech. This isn;t just related to the US, other countries who are weapons suppliers do the same thing. They'll sell a weapons system to one foe and then sell a slightly upgraded weapons system to the other foe. What do you have? An ARM's RACE! So all this money that could be used to educate, protect children and women, hire more law enforcement, improve the quality of life of all these young women who aren;t getting justice, curb corruption, etc., never materializes. But at the end of the day, its India's fault. The easiest solution blame religion.....but it is more complex than that.

Remember, the US till the 1960's practiced Segregation and Racism is not dead, even though we have a black president. Jim Crow anyone? Should others in the world judge us all the same, thru that narrow prism?
Many do not know any other way, unfortunate, but true.
I read an article publish out of India, where the girls were dressed as boys. The article expressed that many not of the culture would not understand this practice. So I get that.

When I read of others in their culture experiences, I always come away with a thankfulness that I was not born of that region and into that life. (China and their population control in effect) Yet, at the same time, I know if I had been born there, their culture would then be mine and a different way to be would possibly never enter my life.

How any of us come to be, will be a mystery that even though much have been given to those studies of such, they will never fully understand. It is most difficult for most to imagine being of a way in which we are not.

Thank you so much for posting your experiences and knowledge.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:34 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,602,411 times
Quote:
I have spent time there as well. I know exactly what you are talking about but the change is happening as we speak. Going back over 20 yrs, the changes that occur every 5 yrs have been phenomenal. The deeply seeded villages, however see the progress last. Change is inevitable I just wished it reached these places quicker. It can be done and could've been done earlier but political games always make the people losers. When India first gained independence, there were calls by certain leaders to promote primary education, but the call was not answered by Nehru. A bunch short sighted nit wits who only care about linging their own pockets, is the casue of anguish for many in India. Things are looking better, but there is so much room for improvement. This is where someone's problems become other's opportunities!
Perhaps one day all countries leaders will lead with love for their people. Until then, we have hope, to see us through, and charity which begins in a person's home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies