Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 AM

13,620 posts, read 12,682,537 times

Advertisements

Despite rapid growth, India lets its girls die - World news - South and Central Asia - msnbc.com

sad story>>>> barbaric third world bastards..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 09:31 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,544,333 times
It costs a family to get their daughters married but they collect money when their sons marry. As some dowries can result in impoverishment, the families protect boys and let the girls die. I have heard that some families kill the wives so they can resell their sons. What else do you expect in a society of vast impoverishment and few, but excessively wealthy?

People, including women, are NOT property. I do not respect such a culture and probably never will.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:34 AM

25,040 posts, read 27,807,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
It costs a family to get their daughters married but they collect money when their sons marry. As some dowries can result in impoverishment, the families protect boys and let the girls die. I have heard that some families kill the wives so they can resell their sons. What else do you expect in a society of vast impoverishment and few, but excessively wealthy?

People, including women, are NOT property. I do not respect such a culture and probably never will.
But Greg come on. You're being a racist ok? This is THEIR way of life, and I demand you respect that and cherish our wonderful diversity in this world. if you don't like that, there's an empty jail cell waiting for you in addition to 1000 hours of sensitivity training

Old 05-04-2011, 01:31 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,687,653 times
The mother is still being blamed for the baby's gender?

These people need to learn how genetics work.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:33 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,006,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post

Never heard an Indian tell me that they're seeking your respect, and furthermore, even if they had your respect it would be of little use.

Bottom line: This is an internal Indian issue. I couldn't care less what they do as a matter of policy or practice.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:46 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,372,667 times
I will never understand their ways, and their beliefs, it is barbaric to me. I don't condone their actions, but this is their Country.

Perhaps they need a discussion in Sex Education!

Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 PM

766 posts, read 1,388,441 times
Just another classic example of how destructive religion can be.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,535,812 times
My parents are from the Southern tip of India, a place called Kerala. This place like some other areas of India have deep respect for women. In fact, historically Women in Kerala were given the right to inherit land when their husbands died and they were allowed to learn the art of fighting. Matriarchal hierarchy was practiced to a large extent before anywhere in the world ever acknowledged it.

India has 1 billion ppl, a little less than 400 million are middle class. The rest are dirt poor. They are uneducated and have very old beliefs that have been further twisted with corrupt priests. Not all but some. It is going to take time, lots of time to change their perceptions but laws have been passed to stop such crimes from occurring. The reality is that many don't have the money to even feed their kids, so they must choose. It is a choice of life or death, a painful one that no parent ever wants to make unfortunately it is survival. The best solution is to have greater family planning but for some reason, there is failure. We live in a democracy, and the same politicians who should pass better laws and provide education, pocket the money (corruption). In certain backward areas, the girls get trafficked into sex slavery not just for the domestic population but they are sent to the Middle East and Southeast Asia. When the US and other western powers make demands that children should not work in factories that make products for the American public, guess what happens? The children become easier targets for sexual trafficking. The main cause of this is one word Corruption...and it affects everyone.

I am in no way defending what is happening but I don't think you can judge everyone by the actions of a few. The South has completely different values than the North. In fact, women feel safer roaming around in the Southern part of India than the rest of the country. Also check out the Statistics, Kerala has a higher ratio of girls to boys. The state also has 100% literacy and the ppl in this state have lived in harmony for 1000's of years regardless of religion. It is the only area in the world where Jews have never been persecuted and where Muslims did not use the sword to preach Islam.

I laugh when our media says anything about India. It will only point out the negative aspects. Sometimes, it is a good thing because the media needs to inform ppl of the problems that need to be addressed urgently. But what I find disturbing is why the US media never talks about how the US turned a blind eye to Pakistan's support of terrorism against India since the 80's. Or how the US turned a blind eye to Pakistani attempts of obtaining Nukes before it actually obtained the tech. A double standard don;t you think? Remember when Clinton fired Tomahawks missiles at Bin Laden in the mid 90's? Well some of those missiles failed to explode and Pakistan recovered those missiles and copied them. Guess what? Pakistan has fitted nukes on those same missiles aimed at India. Oh btw our friend China got a good close look. Now, we have this stealth copter issue. Guess what? China is going to pick it apart with a fine comb and then share the tech with Pakistan and guess which country is going to suffer? India. Anyway, it is a vicious cycle because India then needs to buy expensive weapons to defend against this new CHinese/Pakistani tech. This isn;t just related to the US, other countries who are weapons suppliers do the same thing. They'll sell a weapons system to one foe and then sell a slightly upgraded weapons system to the other foe. What do you have? An ARM's RACE! So all this money that could be used to educate, protect children and women, hire more law enforcement, improve the quality of life of all these young women who aren;t getting justice, curb corruption, etc., never materializes. But at the end of the day, its India's fault. The easiest solution blame religion.....but it is more complex than that.

Remember, the US till the 1960's practiced Segregation and Racism is not dead, even though we have a black president. Jim Crow anyone? Should others in the world judge us all the same, thru that narrow prism?

Old 05-07-2011, 12:12 AM

3,876 posts, read 3,855,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
So what happens when men greatly out number women in India ???

I guess either they choose to be gay or go on a mission to buy/steal women from other Countries.

What a self destructive backwards culture. Then again with people that still worship 'Monkey Gods, 3 headed man/beasts with multiple arms and othe LSD inspired creations you can see that anything is possible.

Last edited by antarez; 05-07-2011 at 01:02 AM..

Old 05-07-2011, 12:20 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,398,295 times
This reminds me that I need to call AT&T regarding my cellphone service...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies