U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:07 PM
 
3,566 posts, read 3,499,658 times
Reputation: 1364

Advertisements

The fiasco that is developing around the death of UBL demonstrates that Obama still isn't ready for prime time. Apart from Robert Gates he has surrounded humself with foreign policy and PR lightweights. As a result what should have been a victory lap is turning into a national and international fiasco.

In the first place apart from announcing the death of UBL no information about the raid should have been released until the operation was thoroughly debriefed. That way all the relevant facts would have been known and a coherent storyline could have been provided to the press and our allies.

Secondly it should have been decided beforehand how the death of UBL would be verified (pictures? DNA? Live witness accounts?, etc.) to satisfy the critics and to avert (as much as that is possible) the conspiracy scenarios.

Instead the the WH let the story get away from them and now they are scrambling for control of the narrative.

Never send a boy to do a man's job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:08 PM
 
898 posts, read 770,743 times
Reputation: 590
I see it more as a cynical effort to keep the focus on this rather than the rapidly imploding economy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:12 PM
 
Location: The Beautiful Pocono Mountains
5,450 posts, read 8,169,083 times
Reputation: 2991
I think the both of you are correct.

Yes, this is a diversion from our domestic issues. At the end of the day, it costs me way more to live now and I care more about that than I do about the killing of OBL.

However, I'm sure it took some time to plan this raid and get to the assassination. Yes, they should have thought out the way they would prove to the country that the man is dead. NOT UNLESS, the WH wanted this diversion so people wouldn't focus so much on the lack of jobs and price of gas, food, etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:13 PM
 
16,785 posts, read 10,567,789 times
Reputation: 15397
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The fiasco that is developing around the death of UBL demonstrates that Obama still isn't ready for prime time. Apart from Robert Gates he has surrounded humself with foreign policy and PR lightweights. As a result what should have been a victory lap is turning into a national and international fiasco.

In the first place apart from announcing the death of UBL no information about the raid should have been released until the operation was thoroughly debriefed. That way all the relevant facts would have been known and a coherent storyline could have been provided to the press and our allies.

Secondly it should have been decided beforehand how the death of UBL would be verified (pictures? DNA? Live witness accounts?, etc.) to satisfy the critics and to avert (as much as that is possible) the conspiracy scenarios.

Instead the the WH let the story get away from them and now they are scrambling for control of the narrative.

Never send a boy to do a man's job.
Thoroughly debriefed. The incident happened over a week prior. Plenty of time to get the story straight.

I was buying the story at first. But I've always believed that the telling of the truth never varies. But liars change their story every time the tale is told. Now I'm not sure what to believe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Word Traveler via Haslet TX.
504 posts, read 426,523 times
Reputation: 262
Default I appreciate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The fiasco that is developing around the death of UBL demonstrates that Obama still isn't ready for prime time. Apart from Robert Gates he has surrounded humself with foreign policy and PR lightweights. As a result what should have been a victory lap is turning into a national and international fiasco.

In the first place apart from announcing the death of UBL no information about the raid should have been released until the operation was thoroughly debriefed. That way all the relevant facts would have been known and a coherent storyline could have been provided to the press and our allies.

Secondly it should have been decided beforehand how the death of UBL would be verified (pictures? DNA? Live witness accounts?, etc.) to satisfy the critics and to avert (as much as that is possible) the conspiracy scenarios.

Instead the the WH let the story get away from them and now they are scrambling for control of the narrative.

Never send a boy to do a man's job.

I appreciate the guys administration fumbling with the truth (or what they think is) rather than the old administrations slick lie's and fake indignation when questioned.

Of course I personally believe the shadow world govt served up this whole kabuki theater scenario myself. But I believe Obama is an honest broker in that he is working with what he believes to be the truth. But let me not start running off on a tangent about "WHO AND WHAT BIN LADEN REALLY WAS". At least he is not wagging the dog because his VP had a closed door meeting with OIL EXECS to divide up Iraqi Oil fields prior to 911.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
66,133 posts, read 47,723,263 times
Reputation: 36353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I think the both of you are correct.

Yes, this is a diversion from our domestic issues. At the end of the day, it costs me way more to live now and I care more about that than I do about the killing of OBL.

However, I'm sure it took some time to plan this raid and get to the assassination. Yes, they should have thought out the way they would prove to the country that the man is dead. NOT UNLESS, the WH wanted this diversion so people wouldn't focus so much on the lack of jobs and price of gas, food, etc.
Of course it's a diversion, what other reason could there possibly be for pursuing a man responsible for the murders of thousands of Americans?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Norman, OK
3,479 posts, read 6,741,846 times
Reputation: 1198
The confidence in Obama and his administration is now dropping, and it started with the "he was armed/he wasn't armed", "he used his wife as a shield/he didn't use his wife" business. The lack of a photo release will likely turn some people off more. (I personally am indifferent to the photo release).

Maybe the "bump" in the polls will be very brief this time?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Blankity-blank!
11,449 posts, read 15,221,879 times
Reputation: 6933
Don't kid yourself...
Amateur hour is every hour of every day from coast to coast.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Riverside
4,088 posts, read 4,040,989 times
Reputation: 3090
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
The confidence in Obama and his administration is now dropping, and it started with the "he was armed/he wasn't armed", "he used his wife as a shield/he didn't use his wife" business. The lack of a photo release will likely turn some people off more. (I personally am indifferent to the photo release).

Maybe the "bump" in the polls will be very brief this time?
The bump in the polls for Obama (if any) will certainly be brief. But that's just the nature of life in the United States of Amnesia. The status of the economy will be a much more important than the killing of Bin Laden to people come election time.

But I disagree that people are "losing confidence" in Obama, just because some early details of the raid that were released turned out to be inaccurate. I think most reasonable people understand that innaccuracies are bound to occur in such a dynamic situation. It's not evidence of fakery or trickery- afterall, most of the early details turned out to be exactly right. The rest of it can be attributed to the fog of war, compounded by social media, and anyone who thought they "knew" anything tweeting like mad to their friends.

Overall, this incident was a MILITARY TRIUMPH for the US, and a testiment to Obama's leadership.

It's that last part that is sticking in some people's craws, I think, and ruining the moment for them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2011, 01:40 PM
 
9,965 posts, read 15,984,576 times
Reputation: 9193
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
The fiasco that is developing around the death of UBL demonstrates that Obama still isn't ready for prime time. Apart from Robert Gates he has surrounded humself with foreign policy and PR lightweights. As a result what should have been a victory lap is turning into a national and international fiasco.

In the first place apart from announcing the death of UBL no information about the raid should have been released until the operation was thoroughly debriefed. That way all the relevant facts would have been known and a coherent storyline could have been provided to the press and our allies.

Secondly it should have been decided beforehand how the death of UBL would be verified (pictures? DNA? Live witness accounts?, etc.) to satisfy the critics and to avert (as much as that is possible) the conspiracy scenarios.

Instead the the WH let the story get away from them and now they are scrambling for control of the narrative.

Never send a boy to do a man's job.
Yeah, I'm sure you know everything about how this should be handled. All those Tom Clancy novels gave you some real expertise for this sort of thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top