Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShahramTaba View Post
I bet he was a gold mine of intel, so why kill?
Why his wife is free? Why not arrest her???
They had instructions to take him alive if he surrendered and it was safe to do so. Assuming he would not let himself be taken alive, it was suspected he would be wearing an explosive vest or otherwise have the place booby-trapped.

They put the overall success of the mission over other concerns. Osama wouldn't likely talk or give up anything useful or truthful, and would use every opportunity while alive to play the martyr and otherwise continue his mission while awaiting a problematic and lengthy trial.

Obama knew only too well the downsides of shooting him, just as he's evidently willing to live with the downsides of not releasing the photos.

Obama doesn't give a crap, because he knows we got him. It also favors him somewhat to let the doubters screech. They have very little credibility, so it is worth more to Obama to take this opportunity to appear classy, help make up for some of the PR blunders of the previous administration, prevent the situation from being better used for enemy propaganda.

Because come the election, people will care about the economy of course, they will care about catching OBL, but they won't give damn about the whining right wing looney conspiracy theorists or any candidate they taint with their allegiance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:53 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,911,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Do you have a link for that? With pictures? I'd like to see how it differs from the usual ones.
here is the story on the chopper:

US mission chopper was secret stealth Black Hawk: Report | Pakistan | News | Newspaper | Daily | English | Online

Old 05-05-2011, 06:55 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Obama acted as though he thinks he is Tony Soprano.
In 2012 there needs to be a return to constitutional principles and a new "family" needs to be put in place at the White House.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It is being reported that NONE of the people in the compound were armed. The US military did ALL THE SHOOTING. Remember John Kerry claiming that the US Miltary was a bunch of thugs storming into peoples homes and terrorizing women and children?? This time he might be right.
Something being reported doesn't come close to meaning it's accurate. Do you really think they would build that compound and have OBL in there and not be armed? Finally, who cares? To quote Will Munny, "Well, he should have armed himself."

Old 05-05-2011, 07:00 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Call it "assisted suicide".

Old 05-05-2011, 07:01 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Quote:

I don't think it matters if he died in Abbattobad or in the US.

He's gone. At last.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
One word: Risks.

First of all, consider the way operation had to be handled. It was high risk, with very little margin of error and even worse window of opportunity. But more importantly, capturing him (if it were possible) could have provided an opportunity for Al Qaeda to initiate moves to get him released. A simple example would be targeting and taking Americans and/or American hostage, which could have dragged on forever, with little to no chance of a proper closure. I'm pretty sure such risks went into planning and the best possible solution was devised. I'm sure there was a provision for his capture but that had to be highly restrictive with a much greater chance to kill him instead.

Osama was treated like an enemy combatant, and he paid the price for his military and civilian offensive against the USA. Case closed.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:05 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It is being reported that NONE of the people in the compound were armed. The US military did ALL THE SHOOTING. Remember John Kerry claiming that the US Miltary was a bunch of thugs storming into peoples homes and terrorizing women and children?? This time he might be right.
You actually have the audacity to call the Seal team thugs???? Keep in mind that this was Bin Laden they were killing, not Mother Theresa. This was not a bunch of innocent people. This was the most ruthless maniac on the planet.

Have we become that politically correct that we have lost all common sense and reason? Bin Laden deserved to die in a much worse fashion that he did.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:31 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Obama acted as though he thinks he is Tony Soprano.
In 2012 there needs to be a return to constitutional principles and a new "family" needs to be put in place at the White House.
Partisanship is destroying this country. If Bush was in this position you would be celebrating it. As it is, you simply can't give Obama credit for anything, which takes away all credibility on other subjects.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:33 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
One word: Risks.

First of all, consider the way operation had to be handled. It was high risk, with very little margin of error and even worse window of opportunity. But more importantly, capturing him (if it were possible) could have provided an opportunity for Al Qaeda to initiate moves to get him released. A simple example would be targeting and taking Americans and/or American hostage, which could have dragged on forever, with little to no chance of a proper closure. I'm pretty sure such risks went into planning and the best possible solution was devised. I'm sure there was a provision for his capture but that had to be highly restrictive with a much greater chance to kill him instead.

Osama was treated like an enemy combatant, and he paid the price for his military and civilian offensive against the USA. Case closed.
Very good point. I hadn't thought of the hostage negotiation angle before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies