Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM

46,953 posts, read 25,990,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
OH!!!! I get it now! You want them to exercise some "common courtesy"? Wasn't that what was asked of the terrorists trying to build that mosque at Ground Zero, and all we heard from you guys is that building it is "their Constitutional right"? Same thing here Mr. Hypocrite. That guy was exercising his 1st amendment, therefore he had a Constitutional right to do so and broke NO laws.
Let's go deflecting!

There's a subtle difference between constructing a building (with a prayer space, yes) on your own property, vs. bothering people waiting in a line they can't very well leave. If the hell-preachers preached eternal damnation in their own church, nobody would bat an eyelid.

It's this "captive audience" thing, and I know it's a very popular thing to try and circumvent for those who like praying loudly "to be seen by men", just like the Jewish carpenter told them they shouldn't do. (Incidentally, I don't care if you're praying, selling insurance or shilling for Scientology. Don't bother people waiting in line. It's not nice.)

Oh, and if you know of any terrorists involved in the Park51 project, I do assume you've informed the FBI, right? Wouldn't want to think of you as an accomplice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
As long as the preacher can handle me confronting him about the issues, I have no problem.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,635,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
You better stop using the Internet. The Devil uses it to influence your mind.
The internet is our only refuge from getting independent media coverage. TV is the master medium of mind control. For all that like knowledge...

YouTube - Mind Control and the New World Order by Al Neal

Old 05-06-2011, 12:12 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,130,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
The internet is our only refuge from getting independent media coverage. TV is the master medium of mind control. For all that like knowledge...

YouTube - Mind Control and the New World Order by Al Neal
Yes, the Internet does give a bigger platform for kooks and schizophrenics.

That's why I find it so entertaining. I don't have to go to an asylum or some streetcorner, I can go to my living room, log on, and get all the bat**** crazy I can stand practically for free.

Thanks for helping to expand my entertainment choices.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:29 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
I watched the video and I read the newspaper articles. Some facts are clear, some are not clear.

1. This has absolutely nothing to do with persecuting Christians. It's clear that the content of what the guy was reading had nothing to do with his arrest. It was, as we say in constitutional law parlance, content neutral. It is absolutely clear that the law enforcement response would have been the same if he had been reading from the Bible, the Koran, Origin of Species, the Declaration of Independence, or the telephone book.

2. It's not clear what he was arrested for, although the likeliest charges are probably disorderly conduct or unlawful trespass, or possibly conducting a public assembly without a permit.

3. It is impossible to tell from the video whether he is on the public sidewalk or on land that is part of the property on which the DMV office is located. This is an important distinction because public sidewalks are considered traditional public forums in constitutional law, which means people are permitted to use them for public speech, such as preaching, making political speeches, and the like.

4. While their web page says that they think they have the right to preach anywhere on public property, this is clearly not accurate. For instance, they are not entitled to stand inside a courtroom while proceedings are going on, or even in the lobby of a public building, both of which are public property, and conduct religious or political rallies and speeches.

5. It is clear that the guy is an obnoxious jerk.

All this said, I don't think they should be prosecuting the guy. I am in favor of freedom of speech for the Westboro Baptist Church. When I lived in Grand Rapids in the early 1980's I was almost alone among my friends in supporting Mike Woroniecki, an obnoxious jerk who used to harangue crowds in public places with a bullhorn to tell them they were going to hell.

If he needs to get a permit and stay on the outside of the property line he should do that.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:40 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,917,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
OH!!!! I get it now! You want them to exercise some "common courtesy"? Wasn't that what was asked of the terrorists trying to build that mosque at Ground Zero, and all we heard from you guys is that building it is "their Constitutional right"? Same thing here Mr. Hypocrite. That guy was exercising his 1st amendment, therefore he had a Constitutional right to do so and broke NO laws.
So you would have no issues of a group of 12 gay men and women talking about how great it is to be gay outside the DMV without permission to do so also? Both instances would be inappropriate and stupid.

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 05-06-2011 at 12:52 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 12:45 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
That's great news. Keep it within your churches and in your homes please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Religion has been outlawed..didn't you know ?

Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,957,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
3. It is impossible to tell from the video whether he is on the public sidewalk or on land that is part of the property on which the DMV office is located. This is an important distinction because public sidewalks are considered traditional public forums in constitutional law, which means people are permitted to use them for public speech, such as preaching, making political speeches, and the like.
See Google Maps - it's in the DMV parking lot - 400 feet from a public street.
Google Maps- Hemet DMV Office

Old 05-06-2011, 01:26 PM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
See Google Maps - it's in the DMV parking lot - 400 feet from a public street.
Google Maps- Hemet DMV Office
Thanks, Gary.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:34 PM

46,953 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
This has absolutely nothing to do with persecuting Christians. It's clear that the content of what the guy was reading had nothing to do with his arrest. It was, as we say in constitutional law parlance, content neutral. It is absolutely clear that the law enforcement response would have been the same if he had been reading from the Bible, the Koran, Origin of Species, the Declaration of Independence, or the telephone book.
A very pertinent point, actually. If car insurance salesmen got the bright idea that the DMV line consists of people who own and/or operate vehicles and are bored, should we be OK with them working the line? I'd say no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies