Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A few more accounts:

WIU parent wants answers after police use pepper spray - WQAD (http://www.wqad.com/news/western-illinois-university-riots-wheeler-street-block-party-05032011,0,7847957.story?track=rss - broken link)

Wheeler Street: Everyone is to blame - Opinion (http://media.www.westerncourier.com/media/storage/paper650/news/2011/05/04/Opinion/Wheeler.Street.Everyone.Is.To.Blame-3997446.shtml - broken link)

Clash with police during block party results in over 100 tickets - Macomb, IL - McDonough County The Voice

Partygoers clash with local police - Macomb, IL - McDonough County The Voice

Pretty difficult to armchair quarterback this one. Sounds like each year this particular party got a little more out of hand. Throwing of glass bottles, destruction of public property, arson, alcohol poisoning...... not exactly well behaved kids having a few beers at a casual block party, IMO. Disproportionate response, possibly.

Clue: when the police show up in riot gear, the party is over.
Good research to offer the media sources taking the side of Homeland Security ( it wasn't the police that attacked everyone it was a private force hired by Homeland Security).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 07:37 PM

Glad to see this thread even made it to the 3rd page of Google results

Old 05-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
A clash between police officers from numerous departments and attendees at the annual Wheeler Street Block Party Saturday has resulted in numerous tickets and arrests.

Police were pelted with glass bottles and other objects as they tried to break up the annual party, where hundreds of students were standing outside homes on Wheeler Street.

A total of 104 tickets were issued to 89 people Saturday afternoon with several people still being held in the county jail on more serious charges.

Sounds like they had good reason to arrest and ticket these students. Thugs calling the police thugs... go figure.
The real Police were there before anything happened. It wasn't until someone put a bicycle on top of a Stop sign that Homeland Security showed up and started to mow the crowd down with brute force and pepper sray among other things. IS IT APPROPRIATE FOR A SMALL ARMY FROM HOMELAND SECUITY TO APPEAR and begin giving everyone a hard time AFTER SOMEONE PUTS A BICYCLE ON A STOP SIGN? Come ON people. Homeland Security needs to train their employees what the word "proportionality" means. You don't call out an army to take care of a little mischief at a college party and start pepper spraying everyone and issuing "100 tickets" when there were only 1 or 2 offenders at most.

Last edited by emilybh; 05-04-2011 at 08:10 PM..

Old 05-04-2011, 07:52 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Did you read the articles I linked? There really seems to be a bit more to the story than just what was in the OP video. It appears that EMS had been called and was treating more than one individual for alcohol poisoning; that things got progressively out of hand from there, including the arson and destruction of public property.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:53 PM

209 posts, read 240,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
I don't understand why more than half of the City-Data forum defends Homeland Security when they have been nothing but a COMPLETE failure as a security organization AND an arm of the government that spends 99% of its time harassing innocent Americans not to mention a HUGE waste of taxpayer dollars! Who's side are you on anyway?
I will never defend rioting, we have had our problems with it here at Michigan State and it does need to be dealt with and punished accordingly...Constitutionally. That being said, when I consider the forest and not just trees, we are currently in some sort of low to medium level police state here in America, the land of the free. They are installing it incrementally so we will continue to swallow it. If more people would take a little time to look into the myriad of news accounts of police aggression and/or brutality, TSA is out of control, illegal wire-taping, no-fly lists with no inquiry or appeals process, the eradication of the 4th amendment, police check points, military check points (posse comitatus how???), CPS forced vaccination of child (Detroit), FBI/FDA raiding farms and farmers markets, predator drones flying in our air space etc etc etc ALL in the name of safety and security, they would see the evidence of the emerging police state. Need I pull out the Ben Franklin quote about that? Why not? Everyone likes a good Franklin quote, I know I do....They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:59 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
The real Police were there before anything happened. It wasn't until someone put a bicycle on top of a Stop sign that Homeland Security showed up and started to mow the crowd down with brute force and pepper sray among other things. IS IT APPROPRIATE FOR A SMALL ARMY FROM HOMELAND SECUITY TO APPEAR and begin giving everyone a hard time and AFTER SOMEONE PUTS A BICYCLE ON A STOP SIGN? Come ON people. Homeland Security needs to train their employees what the word "proportionality" means. You don't call out an army to take care of a little mischief at a college party and start pepper spraying everyone and issuing "100 tickets" when there were only 1 or 2 offenders at most.
Where is any proof that this was the action of Homeland Security and not local and state officers as described in the news articles about this riot?

Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did you read the articles I linked? There really seems to be a bit more to the story than just what was in the OP video. It appears that EMS had been called and was treating more than one individual for alcohol poisoning; that things got progressively out of hand from there, including the arson and destruction of public property.
Yes I did read the articles and I think the destruction of public property amounted to putting the bicycle on a stop sign. Again, that is no reason to call out an army. If there was more destruction it was probably caused BY THE HOMELAND SECURITY FORCES.

Again Homeland Security showed no sense of proportionality or sense of appropriateness. It was a college party after all not a gang or war breaking out. SHEESH! If you watch the original video it shows the crowd with the police there when everything was under control. Then the police left and the Homeland Security army showed up after the bicycle on the "Stop" sign incident.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Where is any proof that this was the action of Homeland Security and not local and state officers as described in the news articles about this riot?
The proof is in the original video and you can hear the blow by blow account of what happened.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:24 PM

209 posts, read 240,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
See Something, Say Something.

Janet's propaganda all over America now.
It's working.
No doubt, its going to be the next epidemic. As I am sure you know, all totalitarian governments (ie. Stalin, Hitler et al) will encourage their people to spy on each other, even children to spy on parents and then report to the authorities for safety and security of the homeland. How is there not public outrage over this? Aren't we supposed to innocent until proven guilty? Aren't we guaranteed the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? How do I live an existence of a proud, free American if I am standing in line at the hardware store, box store, or whatever trying to figure out if the contents of my purchase could be circumstantially misconstrued as "out of the ordinary" by some mouth-breather or some soul-rotted busy body and reported? Why are Americans allowing this, why can't they see what is happening [Both intended to be rhetorical questions] All I can say is we have become a country full of the now infamous slow boiled frogs...ribbit.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:28 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
DHS doesn't have any police force that would have jurisdiction outside of Federal property, fail (not counting CBP or ICE which wouldn't be there anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies