Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 12:41 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times

Advertisements

Ok, I know everyone is excited to see pictures of Osama with a couple of bullets in his brain. But here's why the costs outweigh the benefits:

1. For skeptics who don't want to believe, an electronic document will never offer sufficient "proof". We know this very well with the birthers. Anything released over the internet can be said to be Photoshopped, and a conspiracy can always be kept alive by continuously widening the scope to include everyone and his/her grandmother. Just as the birthers will never be satisfied by anything, neither will the deathers.

2. Producing the photographs will be a very tangible, visceral, and effective recruitment tool for terrorists, which will only make our troops' jobs that much harder and more dangerous. Killing the guy alone already incites a lot of anger, but when you basically stick his head on a pole and do an end zone dance in front of it, that's inviting a whole new level of fury - especially when certain groups of people basically revere the guy as a messiah of sorts. It will increase the probability of another 9-11 or worse, and it will also directly contribute to higher levels of US military deaths.

3. Correspondingly, there is no enhancement to our safety or our troops' ongoing missions by releasing the photos. All it theoretically does is satisfy some peoples' curiosity and turn a few skeptics into believers - although again most of those people will remain skeptics anyways. It doesn't fundamentally change anything. The guy is dead.

In short, there is very minimal upside and significant downside to releasing the photos. And there is no need to pander to the desires of some silly skeptics who aren't worth convincing anyways. I would have made the same decision as Obama did, and it has nothing to do with political party affiliations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2011, 06:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
The better question to ask -- who would be upset over Bin Laden's death?

We're always told that it's only a handful of extremist Muslims that believed in him. The rest we are told all are good guys, on our side. If most Muslims want peace, they're out celebrating along with Americans the death of this bloody terrorist.

Old 05-05-2011, 06:59 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Why should our government be allowed to spoon feed the people they work for (that would be us)?
Your subject mentality and belief that the government knows best is quite dangerous.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:02 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
The people who would be grievously offended by seeing pics of Bin Laden's corpse hate us already. Really, the photos should have been released. He got shot in the head -- what do you expect him to look like? Apparently some of the brain is exposed in the photos. So?

Old 05-05-2011, 07:14 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Videos of Americans chanting USA and parting in the streets will **** them off far more than a photo of Osama. It just shows them our weakness of being PC, kind of like honoring him with a "proper Muslim burial". Governments never had an issue showing the images of other dead. Saddam, who had many supporters in his country, wasn't afraid to **** off anyone there or endangering our troops more, same with showing the violent death photos of his kids.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:15 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
I don't see a need for their release. We have DNA, photo recognition software, and the eye witness of one of bin Laden's wife who was shot in the leg and who is not denying his death. Graphic pictures of three of the others killed in the compound were also released by Pakistan. I'm sure more data was released to world leaders than to rest of us and that's fine with me.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Videos of Americans chanting USA and parting in the streets will **** them off far more than a photo of Osama. It just shows them our weakness of being PC, kind of like honoring him with a "proper Muslim burial". Governments never had an issue showing the images of other dead. Saddam, who had many supporters in his country, wasn't afraid to **** off anyone there or endangering our troops more, same with showing the violent death photos of his kids.
It also shows we are no better than "them"

Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I don't see a need for their release. We have DNA, photo recognition software, and the eye witness of one of bin Laden's wife who was shot in the leg and who is not denying his death. Graphic pictures of three of the others killed in the compound were also released by Pakistan. I'm sure more data was released to world leaders than to rest of us and that's fine with me.
If I was part of the establishment I'd try and convince people of that too.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
LOL of course she isnt!!! Gets us off his back if we believe he is dead. She is not a reliable witness. Not even close.

Release parts of the video and independent DNA results.

Old 05-05-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
It also shows we are no better than "them"
Exactly, they are not going to buy our PC and supposed respectful gestures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies